1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you be gay and a Christian?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DreamonRose, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am kind of holy. I am in the Church Choir..I have been baptisted..I go to sunday school..and I completely believe in God. I sometimes think I am kind of betraying my church family because I know I am gay and that is not really what people of my religion except. I don't really know what to do because I constantly think about it. So what do you think is it okay that I believe in the religion against me?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you take a look in the following link? It may help to clarify things! Empty Closets - Religion and Homosexuality

Also, remember that the gay community is diverse. We have atheists, christians, muslims, etc.

Loving someone, regardless of the genders involved, isn't dependant on religion. There's nothing wrong on being gay and religious/non-religious.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No i think it is perfectly possible. There is a scene in the very sad movie called Prayers for Bobby that explains this better than i can....but basically, there's an idea that the bible doesn't actually condemn homosexuality. That it was the writers themselves' opinion. I have even read somewhere that a writer explicity says 'this is my opinion' or something that effect and then goes on to denounce homosexuality. Furthermore...the society they lived in during those times was one of strict jewish law. Laws that led to the woman at the well being ostrasized by her community, yet in the bible story jesus welcomed the woman's precense.

You can do your own research. It is my belief that, as science is beginning to back up, that sexual orientation truly is decided for you. You cannot simply chose it. I believe that the writers of the various books of the bible put their own ideas and opinions where they need not have been expressed - that, as with anything else, something meant to be uncorrupted was corrupted by their opinion. I clearly recall growing up, my church's pastor would continuously denounce area churches for accepting LGBT people within their walls. At the time i didn't know what to think - didn't jesus preach love, above all else, not judgement? He singled out women and children in the bible which at the time would have been ignored and pushed aside by any ordinary rabbi.

I am no longer religious myself, but these are my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to do your own research and come to your own conclusion. There's plenty of information out there.

Edit: to answer your question...of course you can think the religion is against you. But i would advise to do plenty of research and soul searching before you come to any final conclusion regarding your personal stance on religion.

#3 AlexJames, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember that the bible can be interpreted a hundred different ways, and that it's been translated many times, so it may not mean exactly what it says. If I were you, I would look up different interpretations of the bible. Some people think that it's not anti-gay at all, because of their interpretation.
    But remember that you can believe in "God" without being "Christian". The thing about the bible is, it has indeed been translated a lot, so it's almost like it's been thrown through google translate. We all know what that does. And who knows, some of the people who translated it might have had an agenda in mind, so they also might have changed its message. Who knows what it was originally meant to tell us anymore? One option you have is to still believe in Jesus and God without paying the bible any attention. So even if the bible in English claims that being gay is wrong, you don't have to believe it, but you can still believe in God.

5. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I irritate religious people with this usually, I say where there is smoke there is fire.

But the book has indeed been translated so much, and people had their hands on it. So what is right? What is wrong ? We do not know. People dont like to hear that.

Then we have Islam and Jew and Catholics they have their versions but they are all connected.

In Quran there is a story of a woman who was a good Muslim, but she mistreated her dogs (and dogs are haram, but still appreciated). Another person non Muslim fed the dogs etc. She did not go to heaven, he did. This story was confirmed by two Muslims, not sure where it is in the Quran but in the bible there is a similar story the Samaritan right?

Anyways what I am trying to say, be good to people and animals. And I think it will be fine.

But I do struggle with at times as well.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is how Alan Watts defines mainstream organized religion:

Let's set aside the "sexual regulation" aspect of current churches for the moment. American Christian denominations are some of the strongest supporters of the Republican party, and yet, by association, they therefore support the exclusion of the stranger (i.e. immigrants), despite the invocation to welcome the stranger being mentioned in the Bible 36 times (when the Bible constantly repeats something, you can be sure it is damned important).

Getting back to sexual regulation, what is it with the Christian obsession around sexual matters? It is an incredibly large part of their world-view, and yet, there are so many other things Christians purport to stand for, such as charity, loving-kindness, community...

So to answer your question: if you behave like a Christian should behave (loving-kindness, loving others as you love yourself, treating your neighbor as you would like to be treated), then yes, you can be gay and Christian. There are churches that will welcome you as you are...and why not?

7. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To all that replied.

Thank you so much for all the advice. It really helped and got me thinking.

8. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the years, I have taken my belief in God into my own hands.

I don't know the Bible inside and out like some people do, including my own grandparents on both sides. But whatever it says or doesn't say, I just can't accept that God would condemn homosexuality entirely if we know for a scientific fact that people are born gay, straight, or both. God would not have made this the reality if he did not want us to act upon it and find our romantic partners as normally and honestly as straight people would.

I also have personally seen and felt many things that I can only attribute to the serendipity of God's influence in my life, because I would not be where I am today, and heading where I am in my life and artistic career, if it weren't for more than a dozen little miracles that have added up over time.

I know in my heart that I am Bisexual. I feel a force, a tender tug on my emotions, that wants me to like men as much as I like women. And as each day goes by, this force becomes stronger and more pronounced. I adore the way I feel now. I've honestly never felt so good, so connected, or so empathetic to those around me and in my life than I do now because of my acceptance of my sexual orientation. And just like with how all of my other talents and skills have led me to do great things and have been an invaluable asset in my life, I cannot believe that my bisexuality is not also cut from the same cloth that God has woven for me.

#8 MisterMissy, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you can, absolutely, be Christian and LGBTQ. I am.

one resource that helped me was; (if not allowed please remove mods) WWW.Godmademegay.com

hope it helps you too. i particularly recommend the Letter to Louise, on that site. (*hug*)

10. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much

11. SgWay

All Abrahamic faiths consider homsexuality as a sin and punishable by death and hell.

Its written in the scriptures bible, talmud or koran, sodom and gomorrah was turned upside down because these cities practice homosexuality.......how can you be a christian or even muslim if you reject the scriptures that is the foundation of your faith? It does not work.

Yes, believing in god or allah that is not cruel as not to punish men for just liking the same gender is ideal, but it doesnt work that way.

I find that Islam and Christianity 100% reject the LGBT community mercilessly for no utter reason...you may find nice muslims and christians who accept you..but when the time comes...they can whip out their bible and koran..recite some verses about Sodom and Gomorrah and anytime they will throw you off a building. Even other religions of oriental origin on many ways subjugate LGBT people as subhumans.

Homosexuality and the LGBT community have nothing in common.

#11 SgWay, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really has more to do with Christian denomination, that Christianity per se. Some Christian churches and meetings are very tolerant and accepting, while others are bitterly hostile towards the LGBT community, focusing as they do on a few narrow and lines and passages from the Bible, that are misunderstood and taken well out of context.

If you believe and trust in God and wish to follow the Christian path as a member of the LGBT community it is definitely possible. Many members of this forum are people of faith, myself included. It may be difficult within your current church, but I promise you that it will not be hard to find a place for worship that is open and welcoming. The website, gaychurch.org has a huge list of churches from different denominations that are welcoming and affirming, including many in your state. Why don't you take a look?

I simply don't agree with the previous posters assessment at all.

13. Wolfwing

People used to condemn lefthandedness as being sinful and wrong, but there are still religious people who are lefthanded. So why should being gay be any different?

14. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As is thievery, nobody cuts of hands anymore. And wearing pants for women (In another part of another bible...confusing) is a sin. Having sex before marriage is a sin.

Someone here has a nice signature. I wrote it down but forgot who it was.

Dont judge me because I sin differently then you do.

If you are a true follower of god, you also know you are not allowed to judge. Leave that up to god. Plus what you are saying can be interpreted differently. I think the gay story was even part of sex gay/servants in someones temple. A priest told me that it was her interpretation of it. Its been a while, need to ask her again what it specifically was what she was referring to. But it was about the condemning gay intimacy part of the bible. *If a man lays with another man...etc...etc..*

Sodom and Gomorrah was not just judged for gay sex? Was it even at all? I am sorry but its a bit vague in my head. It was about sex parties and etc. for sure.

Marriage is also seen as a good thing, I think somewhere it says in the bible. If you have the urges, marry. But marriage is not the purpose of christian life. Maybe even better to not marry.

Nobody lives proper enough I think. We can only help eachother. And if it is true that it is so wrong ? Shouldn't the religious people say, we believe you are sinning but it is up to god. Welcome in the church, and we are happy for you to want to be closer to god ?

#14 PianoKeys, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  15. Iliricon

The amount of gays and lesbians I found working in the catholic church, especially in the youth ministries, says you absolutely can :-D. While I consider myself without a denomination right now, I still see myself as a Christian. I found a lot of comfort in my faith and I think the basic "rules" of Christianity make for an excellent moral ground. But as with every religion, there is a lot of nonsense mixed in there.

The youth ministries where I worked would collapse instantly, if all LGBT people left all of a sudden. Now the church only needs to realize this and accept all these men and women and humans on their own terms. Well, at least I can dream that that will happen one day.

16. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can be gay and Christian. There is a lot of debate about the interpretations of the bible's condemnation of homosexuality. Even if it is a sin (I don't think it is) God ultimately accepts everyone.
    Study the Bible. Be discerning about who you speak with. Know that people are fallible and get a lot wrong about what they think God wants. Finally, pray. In the end it's all between you and God. No-one else.