1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date vs. just hanging out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by NYCer, Feb 12, 2017.

1. NYCer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the lesbian world, how do you know if something is a date or just friends hanging out? For instance, there is this woman I met a couple of months ago and we have hung out a few times and recently she asked me to go to visit some museum together next weekend, but she hasn't made any sort of move of on me. She also told me that she likes butch women (I'm not very butch), but not sure why she would ask me to do something with her if she weren't interested in me. Should I just assume she wants friendship for now?

I did find her attractive before she said she was interested in butch women, which I just accepted and then sort of removed her from my mind as a dating possibility. But then she just texted me to get together next Saturday. WDYT?

2. renard

renard Guest

I obviously don't know all the details of the situation, but it sure sounds like a date to me. (Although I will also admit I'm a sucker for museum dates: lots of time to talk one-on-one, lots of things to talk about, etc.)

If I were you, I'd be optimistic and see where this goes! And yeah, even if she said she's into butch women, that doesn't mean she never likes or can't like women who aren't too butch.

Good luck! Hope it goes well!

3. CameOutSwinging

At this point, it sounds to me like you're just friends. Does she ever bring up dating others? Does she ask you if you're dating anyone?

4. NYCer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, she doesn't bring up dating others, though she once asked me what kind of woman was my "type." She hasn't asked me if I'm dating anyone, though I mentioned to her once that i went on a date with someone else. So I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up? Oh well. Thanks.

5. Carmel67

Hi NYCer. I been wondering that too. I put a profile on a lesbian networking site specified that I was only looking for friends not dates. Ive met some really nice women that I want to be friends with but I'm worried that that one or two of them might be hoping for more. I dont want to lead anyone one and hurt them.

6. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just ask her ? What's the worse thing that could happen, talk about it, see how you both feel on the idea ?

7. NYCer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fear of rejection and awkwardness.