1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

velvet rage?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by r2de2baca, Feb 20, 2017.

1. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    have any of you guys felt what they call velevet rage? do you have pent up anger and hostility? i know i have felt this. Sometimes the smallest thing will trigger it. Mostly I have felt this when being talked down to or disrespected by a straight man or anyone for that matter? I vocally charge back at this. I guess maybe it was all those years of being bullied and laughed at that as soon as I feel someone trying to slight me in anyway I stand up for myself but I have all the weight of the years of precious hurt behind it. Has anyone felt this? Am I alone? How did you move past it so you did not give power and control to those people to make you react in a way that did not relect you positively?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just having a discussion with my partner not more than 30 minutes ago about how I have been able to let go of my anger. How I have found peace and contentment once I was able to resolve as best I can both shame and internalized homophobia. I can not stress enough how impactful these emotions have on driving anger, and how ones ability to get rid of the anger is tied to addressing them, understanding them, and figuring out how to remove them from your heart.

What you are expressing is systematic of the shame and internalized homophobia that is inside of you. Get mad, get emotional. Let it all out. Learn to understand them. Then begin to heal.

This is a fantastic question!!!!!

#2 OnTheHighway, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apparently "The velvet rage" is a book.

4. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks highwayman,
    it goes back to me feeling weak inside. like i had no voice when i was a child. being afraid of being punched or beat up or ganged up on. the kids at school verbally abused me and threatened physically harm too. i had no support and also sometimes felt shamed for being a "sissy" from family members. i had nowhere to turn.no voice. now when people try and attack me that say little kid that stuff it all down is there and he is mad and he is saying NO MORE. BRING IT ON BABY! but i know thats not good but I feel that I have taken the high road long enough and I feel tired of people taking my kindness for weakness. I dont know how to stop the anger. This also flares up double time at the hands of gay men that may try and talk about me or slight me. They set me off even more. Part of that anger is anger at even being lumped in with them in the first place and having to even go through being gay and then to have them try and attack me or be caddy bitches to me then I feel really angry.

5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I was just in LV a couple weeks ago. Very interesting city. I learned a lot. (a bit rushed so this will be quick.

Anger is a reaction in the cause effect sequence of events. Dig a hole with a hand shovel, you have a pile of dirt. Your anger is equated to the pile of dirt. You need to find the hole.

How to overcome this. Start a journal. Let it all bleed out in the journal. Join a martial arts class, club. Nothing to committal. Find a bag and kick the shit out of it. Join a meditation group and learn to meditate. Mindful mediation takes time. Find a friend to talk to the let it bleed out. Find a therapist you like. I also found books to read so I basically became better informed. Farm Boys by Will Fellows is an amazing book.

I can definitely relate to the abuse when growing up scene. I now know I was severely abused - the abuse was masked. I was even beat up and left laying in a field one time. Want to talk about it? Get PM (private message) and we'll talk about it.

Later man.

#5 brainwashed, Feb 20, 2017
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a fantastic book and a must read for anyone on their journey to self acceptance.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2017 at 09:26 PM ----------

Your hitting the nail on the head. You say it yourself, your felt "shame". It's a powerful emotion. Learn to love yourself, and put the shame behind you.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a great deal of anger when I was younger. It was just sort of always there without any kind of real direction just sort of ready to pounce but I didn't tend to lash out I lashed in if that makes any sense. I was furious all the time, but really I was just furious with myself. I tried to kill myself my senior year in high school. I felt powerless and hopeless and it infuriated me.

Coming out was really the beginning of the end of that anger for me. I'd had all these walls up so people wouldn't hurt me and when I brought them down I found that people didn't--it had all been such a colossal waste. As I became more comfortable and confident as a gay man the anger evaporated because my sense of hopelessness and powerlessness went too.

I've always meant to read the Velvet Rage--in fact I think I probably own a copy--but unfortunately I feel like it sort of came out too late for me.:lol:

8. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in the hopes that the anger would go away and I would accept myself. I even started reading the book Velvet Rage, last year. I stopped before I even got half way. I still find that I am angry and the smallest thing will set me off. I might not voice my anger but I will retreat into my own little world and not speak to people for days ... unless I absolutely have to. I am basically back in the closet and I can feel some days I just cry because I can't vent or even discuss what I am feeling with anyone. Unfortunately in South Africa, seeing a therapist costs a fortune and I can't afford to pay... I basically go through days of up and down and anger but when some happy feeling comes along, I don't know what to do with it. It feels almost un-natural, which is weird, I know.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lonewolfe, Cape Town has quite a vibrant LGBT community. Have you checked to see there is a local LGBT community center that has group meetings?

http://www.capetown.at/capetown/gcommunity.htm

Also, I see you joined EC back in 2015. Dive into the discussions. Debate them with everyone, thinking about what your reading and what your feeling while participating.

If you put the book down, its a sign you have decided not to move forward. Well, get in gear and push yourself!! You will not be able to find full self acceptance without doing some really hard work.

Even if you can not afford a therapist, read other people's experience and see how you relate to them. Participate in all the forums, not just this one.

The Velvet Rage is not the end all resource, it is just one book, one tool to use. There are multiple other tools, other books, etc etc etc.

Go for it!

#9 OnTheHighway, Feb 20, 2017
  10. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. Thanks for the reply...
    Yes Cape Town has a huge gay community but sadly they are very unforgiving when it comes to guys on the larger side of the scale shall I say ... I have never been or felt welcome.
    I struggle with self-acceptance a lot even though I came out 12 years ago. My family were ok with it but lately I notice my mom is not so much. I am not worried about getting her acceptance or support. I need that for myself but it's hard doing it alone. I think the almost-7-years I spent in a very closeted Korea added to this feeling.
    I come on here at least once a day and read posts... sometimes they make me smile and sometimes I burst into tears because it feels like it's me... same experiences.

xo

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lonewolf, consider starting a new thread so others can comment on your particular circumstances. But the fact that your a larger guys has ABSOLUTELY ZERO implications on your ability to feel welcomed by others. It has EVERYTHING to do with your self image. There is a massive "bear" community where larger guys are admired, chased and loved. And I am sure that exists even in Cape Town (I was just in Cape Town last month, plenty of bears!). If you came out, everyone was OK with it, maybe your just seeing a ghost when you say your mother is only now having issues with it? Maybe she is having an issue with you not getting on with your life????? Start another thread :slight_smile:

#11 OnTheHighway, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  12. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think after all the negative comments I have gotten over the years about being a "bear" has broken my self image and if I try to project confidence, it doesn't last.
    My mom would happily have me and my sister remain single and in her control. Unfortunately since returning to CPT, I can't afford my own place so I had to move back in at home... it's a tough situation but many people here my age simply can't afford to rent or buy our own places anymore.

Here is a link to a thread I started last year... I think it's similar.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/225683-sometimes-i-want-go-back.html

13. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So last night after reading a few more chapters of velvet rage I got a bit discouraged. I am not done with it yet but basically the author details why he thinks negative patterns of behavior exists within gay men. Talks about the cycles of shame and feelings of invalidation and the use of things like sex, drugs, alcohol, fabulosity, and also invalidating others as tools that gay men use to help avoid shame and feel better about themselves. It talks about the stages you go through to get to the other side but says many men stay in these earlier self destructive stages. So I felt really down a bit because when I look at my orevious connections with other gay men I could see how either them or I or both were im these stages of shame. But it made me feel hopeless about meeting someone because with all of these things how can you possibly meet someome that values you as a person when they can only see you as a way to sexualize you or quiet the noise of shame. With all the work and internal effort needed to move through these phases, I wondered how many gay men actually go through the counseling and self help to understand why they behave how they do and more inportantly how to move past it. Even with my own counseling efforts Inam still stuck in shame levels so I wonder how likely would it be to ever meet anyone that wants and can actually maintain. a serious loving relationship when everyone seems plaugued with these really hard core issues. its a bit depressing to think about. :frowning2:

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While it's true that purging shame and internationalized homophobia takes effort and introspection, it can be done. Part III of the book covers the path to recovery in detail. I created a blog post sharing some of the things that I did on my journey (blog link).

I know many gay men on this site and in real life who have made great progress towards living authentically, and you can generally meet them through dating apps, meetups, and LGBT support groups. I agree that it takes more work to meet a person who is largely past the shame and living authentically than to arrange a hookup, but the effort is worth it when you find someone who wants love rather than a quick release.

#14 SiennaFire, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  15. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Constantly portraying adults as victims due to what happened in their childhood prevents them from seeing how the choices that they are freely making now are destructive to themselves and their communities. It excuses self-destructive behavior such as promiscuity and incessant partying and suppresses the truth that, regardless of where you came from, what happens to you now is largely a matter of the choices we each make today and going forward. People have overcome far more difficult situations than name-calling and shaming to have healthy and well-functioning relationships as adults, but the gay-male community, generally speaking, would prefer to continue to label themselves as victims so they don't ever have to face up to the fallout of their own choices today.

16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Siennafire makes some great points. I would add that whether you find someone whom has gotten past the shame and rage, or actively is trying to consciously work on themselves rather than standing still might be slitting hairs; but his point nonetheless is the same - you can find others whom are progressing.

I would venture to think there are more focused on improving themselves than those standing still and letting shame encompass them.

And whatever way you go about meeting people, you never know when you might just find someone waiting for a flight, in line at a coffee shop or purchasing a book at a store. When you have opened yourself up to overcoming the shame, you open yourself up to others looking to do, or having accomplished, the same.

#16 OnTheHighway, Feb 27, 2017
  17. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think what discourages me is that the hookup culture seems so intertwined with gay male sexuality. Not saying everyone hooks up and there are many that dont but it just seems no matter where I have met guys (from clubs to church and everything else in between) there seems to be this almost expectation of sex. Maybe not on the first date but definitely soon afterwards. Maybe that is how all singles are nowadays gay or straight but women it seems make men wait longer and sex is given with the expectation of relationship for which single straight men over 25 seems to be ok with having. However in the gay world sex seems like the bases of even getting to know you and not the other way around. I mean if you are used to hooking up since high school and if your sexual socialization is based on hookups and flings then its not unreasonable to think this expectation is somewhat hard wired into you after so many years. Its just hard to not fit into this and understanding why people behave in this way is helpful but doesnt help when trying to hope for a meaningful relationship. Have others felt this way too?

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that you are overgeneralizing here. Who is guilty of constantly portraying adults as victims? The Velvet Rage acknowledges what happened to many gay men in childhood contributes to the shame and internalized homophobia, goes on to enumerate the consequences (including self-destructive behaviors) manifested in adult life, and then suggests an approach for healing through better choices. I don't see this as excusing the behavior and encouraging recklessness, but rather attempting to understand it such that gay men can then make better choices and start the healing process.

#18 SiennaFire, Feb 27, 2017
  19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mind if I turn the tables a bit, what is it about sex that troubles you? I am not asking in regards to random hookups, but I am asking in terms of the culture where sex is somewhat of a prerequisite for a relationship (which is a thesis that I struggle to even dispute).

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2017 at 09:10 PM ----------

Wow! This is such a generalisation. Maybe you need to get out more and talk to more people within the community living healthy and productive lives!

20. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On the highway, I have asked you very nicely to leave me alone. You have not done that. You continue to post to threads I am on in which I am truly seeking help and you continue to bash me for things I say in which I am only speaking from my experiences and I soecifically saying NOT ALL PEOPLE are like this. You ARE NOT helping me. You ARE harrassing me and I DO NOT want communication from you. Please just leave me alone for the fifth time and go and weld your axe to grind on other peoples posts. I will be seeking help from the administrators to get you to stop or I will leave Empty Closets because it is not a safe place to get help if you do not think exactly how someone else thinks you should think. You are doing foar more bad then good for me and I do not want anymore contact from you.