1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News School scraps gendered uniforms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sonic1337111, Mar 22, 2017.

1. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nice :slight_smile: if only they'd do that with the schools up here in Auckland too...
    Girls are allowed to wear trousers at my school, but if a girl wants to wear shorts then you have to sneak around the lady who runs the uniform shop who'll tell you you can't. Even the socks are gendered though, theyre exactly the same except the girls ones are slightly shorter :/

3. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a step in the right direction, others will follow eventually. But why can't schools just say we don't care what gender your uniform is for as long as you wear one.

So glad when I went to school I was never forced to wear a skirt except by my mum and then she eventually gave in to my screaming about not wanting to wear one.

4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was incident in the UK where a school didn't set out the gendered uniform rules properly. Then when it got to summer they refused to let the boys wear shorts, so a bunch of them came in in skirts instead.

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated having to wear skirts in school. Though having to wear tiny skirts for p.e.was Hell.

My school had a fit when a guy with long hair wanted to have a ponytail

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's rather petty how bent out of shape some schools get over this, we may have a slight maturity issue on our hands in many places. :lol:

That being said, this is a step in the right direction and I hope it brings other locations to realize the simplicity of these factors.

You know, they should stop trying to be the "Nega-Fashion Police!" and instead focus on real issues like bullying and violence. I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but I'd love to be proven wrong in that department.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see why boys and girls can't have the choice of skirts or trousers. I wear skirts

8. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! Everyone deserves a right to wear clothes they are comfortable with.

That being said, I realized I actually have no idea what's the true point of school uniforms. They are very uncommon here in Europe, maybe except the UK and Ireland as far as I know. What's the true point of wearing them? Do they exist just to show to which school the student belongs? Or is there something else?

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are arguments about social equality and student cohesion. Wearing a uniform helps create a shared identity as a student body and minimises differences between students, as well as limiting explicit demonstrations of wealth from students through clothes.

The biggest problem with those arguments, of course, is that wearing the uniform of a bad school only entrenches that perception of low socio-economic status. Of course, without mandatory uniforms, better regarded schools can still choose to flaunt their uniforms and that problem remains in that plain-clothed students appear to be of low socio-economic status.

Either way, loosening gender requirements on uniforms gives greater freedom to students on gender identity. Where schools are single-sex, that's obviously much more complicated.

10. The point of uniforms is usually to make sure people aren't dressed "inappropriately" in case bra straps or collarbones are too scandalously distracting, and to keep students from being distracted by fashion and the like.

11. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At my school has no uniform and don't care what you wear as long as you actually wear something and that something doesn't have F**K written across it. All the same, progress has been made!

12. Non binary kid

Yay! Go team humanity!

13. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In most schools in europe (sans UK) there are no set fashion/uniform rules. I used to go to a boys only school in England and we had to wear a extremely stereotypical masculine white collar uniform and god forbid you came in with shoulder length hair or a slight bit of make up beacause you'd be whisked away to the heaad master for a north korea style interogation. Now we can wear anything, some even wear kilts

14. Smile44

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad the uniforms are gone. Not because they are gendered geared or anything but because uniforms are boring. When I went to school, your clothes is how you expressed yourself. Making kids wear uniforms is a type of control over their mental development. I'm glad they can now express themselves in their individual way.