1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-binary or gender non-conforming?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Fulldarknostars, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Fulldarknostars

I'm questioning my gender identity and I really can't tell whether I'm non-binary or a gender non-conforming woman. How do I tell the difference between the two? What are your experiences? Any advice? I'm very confused and tired of not knowing for sure so I could use some help.

Thank you.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How.do you feel within yourself? Do you feel like you have a gender and if so is it male, female or possibly both.

I know that when I look within myself I have no gender. I was born into a female body, I prefer men's clothes however I do not feel female or male in the slightest

3. Non-binary is a form of gender non-conforming, so you can be both if you feel that way.

4. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion it all comes down to how you see yourself and how you want others to perceive you. While gender non-confirming and nonbinary people can act and present similarly, the reason why they do so may vary greatly.

If you want to be seen as am woman, no matter what clothes you wear and which things you do, that would make you gender non-conforming while you still were a woman. If you act different from what society expects from women because you want people to stop associating you with the label "woman", that would suggest you're not a cis woman and e.g. nonbinary.

A good way to notice in which of these categories you belong is to ask yourself if you like it when people call you a woman. If it makes you happy / feels right you're probably gender non-conforming. If you get annoyed or angry it's more likely you're some kind of nonbinary

As you were also asking for experiences, I'd like to explain to you why I identify as nonbinary: During my childhood I did a lot more things that are seen as masculine than feminine. By now that has changed and I do about the same amount of stereotypically masculine and feminine things (though I don't see any of these activities, behaviours and character traits as something masculine/feminine. They are just what makes me me). However I don't identify as nonbinary because I have these character traits. I identify as nonbinary because I hate being referred to as a girl/woman/female and being referred to as male feels wrong as well. I identify as nonbinary because I can't say "I am a woman" or "I am a man" without feeling like I lie to myself. Even if I wear a dress, I still feel like a person in a dress, not a woman in a dress.

I hope that helped a little! Good luck with figuring things out :slight_smile:

5. Fulldarknostars

I really don't know. I don't identify as male and I don't mind being seen as a woman (in fact, not calling myself a woman feels wrong) but I don't really think of myself as a gendered being.

I think I want other people to think of me as a woman but I don't want to present in a feminine way. I want to present androgynously and I detest not having a flat (or at least much smaller) chest. It makes me depressed and very sad. I don't identify with that body part at all and I often wish I could cut them off with a pair of scissors or something. However, I'm perfectly fine with female pronouns, my female name, and I don't really care if people call me a woman. My mannerisms and way of dressing make me feel masculine sometimes but I don't identify as male and therefore don't want male pronouns. I'm not comfortable with they/them pronouns either. When I was a child (I was a tomboy) I was happy when people thought I was a boy and if I woke up in a male body tomorrow I'd be completely fine with that but I don't mind being a woman, as long as I can present androgynously. Does any of that make any sense?

#5 Fulldarknostars, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  6. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it sounds like you do identify with being a woman and just don't want to present stereotypically feminine? If that's the case, I guess it would make you a gender non-confirming woman.

However, I'm not an expert and in the end it's you who needs to decide how you call yourself. If a label helps you to understand yourself better, that's great. If not, that's also fine. You don't need al label to be who you are.

7. Fulldarknostars

You might be right. I'm not really comfortable being called anything but a woman but in my head I don't really think of myself as a gendered person a lot of the time. I'm just...me. The two main things that make me question my gender identity is the hatred I feel towards my chest (and feeling like that part of my body is very alien to me) and the fact that I've been asking myself things like "why don't I feel like a girl?" ever since I was a child. But maybe that's because I have more "masculine" mannerisms a lot of the time, was a tomboy as a child, dress quite androgynously nowadays, never been interested in stereotypically "female" things/activities, etc. I don't know.

I suspect I'd feel much better about the whole gender thing if I could either get a breast reduction or completely get rid of them so that I could present the way I want to present and the way I feel like I should present to fit the way I see myself in my head. Could I be non-binary but only be comfortable with female pronouns?

Maybe I won't figure this out until I've solved the chest situation. Ugh. It's all very confusing.

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of women aren't interested in stereotypically female things, and a few women don't have feminine mannerisms. But they might consider themselves women since they want to be called women and don't want biologically male bodies.

I mean, my best friend and I are BOTH women, but we aren't that feminine acting. We talk about (and do) things that appeal more to men, which is why most of our friends are men outside of each other.

But neither of us want male bodies. We don't want a dick, testosterone, facial hair, or...being called he/him. That's the biggest indicator.

Hell, you could be a trans man and be the biggest feminine stereotype ever- some trans guys love make-up, dresses, and gossiping about whoever. And some cis men do too.

But there's still a sense of social or physical dysphoria about these guys. So that's what you need to figure out.

#8 Creativemind, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Fulldarknostars

Neither do I. I don't want to go on T and I don't want a male body or male pronouns. I've never wanted that. I'm thinking that I might be agender or something if I'm non-binary. Either that or I'm simply a gender non-conforming woman who hates her chest.