1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you figure out if your asexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Sodium, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Sodium

For the longest time I've believed I was straight. I've had crushes on guys and I've fantasized and everything, but the idea of actual sex kind of grossed me out. As in, I'd imagine it and I had no issue with it, but I just really didn't want to take part. When I got my first kiss I felt absolutely nothing. I didn't hate it, but I thought it was messy and I certainly didn't enjoy it. Thinking it would get better, I went on my way, and since then I've tried it out with guys, girls, and everyone in between, but no matter what I do I feel no sexual attraction. I still like them romantically though, and that's where it gets confusing. I've read about how Ace and aro Can be separate, but is there anyone who identifies as either (or both) who is willing to explain how it feels? Not the definitions, but how the distinction presents itself personally. Thank you so much.

2. Najlen

I still feel like I can love people and be in love, but I don't feel sexual attraction or desire towards any of them.

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be with a woman for companionship and physical comfort e.g. hugs. However I am not sexually attracted to them. I could fall in love with a woman.

So I identify as asexual attractionwise and gyneromantic lovewise

4. I identify as aro and bisexual; I also have sex aversion, which led me to consider asexuality recently (it was in a thread posted not too long ago) but I've decided that bisexual is what fits me. I say bi, but I'm really pan, no idea why I like bi better as a label, maybe due to some internalized transphobia from my home environment.

I go through periods of extreme sexual attraction, and my first thought that determines if I'm attracted to someone is if I can see myself having sex with them. After that, I consider how smart they are, what kind of personality they have, etc. I identify aromantic because I don't understand romance. Like, things people find romantic--favors, unwarranted gifts, spending lots of time together--I don't feel the desire nor understand the desire for any of those things. I differentiate between platonic and queer platonic relationships (AKA friends and partners) but I don't have a notable internal difference. I love my partner the same way I love my best friend. I do things that are dubbed "romantic" by imitating other people. Some might think that's fake, but it's a learned behavior that displays affection. I think the same thing with kissing.

I don't have any attraction to kissing, and while a lot of my attraction is sexually based, I can't stand skin to skin contact, so that's not really a thing either. A lot of people mention dates and cuddling in romance; I don't particularly like cuddling, but I like it more than just sitting there. The magic spark, butterflies, all those things are metaphors that I comprehend and use to make myself understood, but have never experienced.

5. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I've had "crushes" on people, but never wanted to have sex with anybody. I am attracted to both men and women, but that is it. Aesthetic attraction. Any momentary butterflies are just that, momentary and for me just a sign of that attraction.

I still want companionship, just not the physical side of it. Except hugs...a hug or two would be nice. And someone to talk to.

Sebby45

6. scs96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I identify as ace and gay. Sexually I don't like anyone. I'm not sexually attracted to anybody, I'm kind of repulsed and it's not something I would want to partake in. But romantically I like girls. Crushes, butterflies, etc. I desire a romantic relationship with girls.

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as a biromantic ace. I feel romantic attraction to both guys and girls, but the idea of sex grosses and freaks me out. So I could definitely fall in love with either a guy or girl, but there's no desire for sex at all. Like right now, I'm in a relationship with a guy and neither of us desire sex. It's purely romantic attraction.