1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterlife

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dryad, May 23, 2017.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

I like to know things and not believe stuff that isn't proven. However, using logic, I don't think there's an afterlife. Everything probably already existed long before we were born. The particles we were all made of were put together to create us. When we die, the particles become something new but not as in we are reborn but as in we become nutrients for plants and animals. That way our particles become part of them and when they die they become part of other things. The circle of life. This is very simplified but I hope you understand what I mean.

I think Afterlife is a human construct to either feel better about dying or to evoke fear in people of either going to hell or being reborn into a bad life when they aren't kind. Sadly, this often doesn't work, just look how hateful and bad people are.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's hard to say. I like to take a less conventional view, and believe that my actions today will add to a better humanity in the future. Take a single cell: alone, it doesn't do much, but when combined with millions or billions of others? We went from being hunter gatherers to where we are now in just a few short millennia.

I think its pretty amazing we're having this conversation, actually. I doubt most other species would care to. For them, its just relying on instinct... eat, sleep, crap, mate, die. Its presumptuous to say you *know* what happens, unless you've been there, which we haven't.

3. Flowey

I like to believe that, when I die, my spirit will travel all the multiverse...endless entertainment.

4. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I couldn't have said it any better.

5. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my psychology course, I have to do a really big research project on afterlife. Surprisingly, there actually is evidence to support an afterlife. Many people have done little experiments and such and basically, it's not impossible at all for an afterlife to exist!!
    Anyway, I always have believed in an afterlife. I'm not religious exactly, but I think I'd go mad if I didn't believe in one. I need to believe that I'll see some people again...

6. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To reply to my own question :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: : Well, it seems likely to me that there is some kind of soul. I don't know for sure, and even if it does, I don't know if it's immortal. As for NDEs, I've read different opinions on them and they all make sense to me. Also it seems like death is an important part of life. Some people say life is meaningless because of death, well, try to imagine life without it. So different! Incarnation would probably solve some problems, like it would get rid of our fear without taking death completely out of the equation, and it would also create a "greater plan" and make everything make sense. But still there are problems with it, like what happens to memory? If the point is to become a better soul, how can you if you don't remember your past lives? Plus, the fact that any philosophy solves some existential troubles and "makes sense" doesn't mean it's true. People can construct meanings, but the universe doesn't owe us any. Maybe nothing makes sense except the meanings we construct.

---------- Post added 24th May 2017 at 03:21 PM ----------

Agreed...

7. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe in Heaven and Hell, it's hard for me to believe that this is all there is and that all this is coincidental...

8. Hunter8

Libertino makes an interesting point here. I could never follow a religion like the one he describes where earth seems ultimately secondary to some lofty afterlife in the clouds. That's a big part of why I am a Christian. The Bible is clear that we are not meant to spend eternity separated from the earth we once lived on. The ultimate goal of Christianity is not to end the earth, but rather to save it. The book of Revelation teaches that all of creation will one day be redeemed, and earth and heaven will become one. Those who trust in Christ will spend an eternity ON earth, and it will be an earth devoid of every social ill that plagues it today. So I believe what we do on earth now matters greatly. If God thinks the earth is worth saving, I definitely want to be a part of that.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you die, you're dead. That's it. Your brain stops working, your heart stops beating: you're dead. I don't like the idea of an afterlife. The idea that one day I'll be gone and nothing will matter is the most comforting thing ever.

10. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to have a similar lack of fear for death, but I'm not sure if your approach is very brave or depressed.

11. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After what happened here on Monday I really hope there is an afterlife.

12. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What about the concept of one trip to Earth and that is it? Yet, we existed before coming to Earth and exist after. While we are here, it is our test to see how we deal with being away from the presence of God. So, this is not the reality, but a temporary place in our journey. This is our first time to have a body, but it is something we will get back after a resurrection occurs. Then, there is a lot of creative work to do beyond that. So basically, this is a short trip to "camp" to find ourselves and come back better than when we left. This would mean we are eternal in nature having a mortal experience.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the simplistic type that feels once it's over, it's over; the big sleep.

14. timo

I don't believe there's anything after death. You just stop existing.

Therefore, the thought of death itself doesn't really scare me. Eternal unconsciousness isn't scary. It's more the thought of dying before I have lived this life to the fullest, and before I have done everything I want to do, that scares me.

15. Hunter8

Amen. I'm sure the concert goers who were killed felt the same way in their final moments.

16. 6qurious9

I think of afterlife in the same manner. Our matter and energy going back into the earth.

17. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never met anyone else who thinks this, but sometimes I like to think that the afterlife reflects the individual's expectations or hopes for it. I know some people think God is somehow in every religion or changeable according to people's expectations, so it doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. I don't really believe it on a practical level though, I usually see things more pragmatically.

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I die I'll cease to exist. So I'll rest when I'm dead. Even if for some weird reason I have to slay Satan and turn his home into a beautiful resort!