1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you who are moderately to severely overweight

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mysteria, May 22, 2017.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For those who are overweight, moderately to severely?

...how did you work the whole dating thing. Did you work the whole dating thing? Or did you just decide that you would have to lose weight before you dated.
    I registered for a dating site and I'm looking on it and the only people who I can see who are approximately my weight either aren't my type (butch) or not attractive for some other reason. I just feel like because of the way I look I have to settle, and I hate feeling that.

#1 Mysteria, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do not have to settle! I was kind of nervous about my weight when I stated dating as well. It took some time, but I found someone who loves me for me-- regardless of my weight. I'm sure the right person will come your way.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily, I'm not that interested in dating at the moment. I figure the right person may come along if I do change my mind, though.

It's mostly about confidence. Some people will be turned off by overweight people no matter what, but if you show confidence in yourself...you'd also be surprised on the level of variety you might attract.

4. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm hoping I can find someone to give me a chance. I feel like I have so much baggage as it is that my only chance is being drop dead gorgeous, which I'm not. :slight_smile:

5. SchizoBurrito13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always been conscious of my weight, but even more when it comes to relationships, and i think that's why i avoid going out, meeting new people etc.

6. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well ideally I would like to lose weight before dating, but losing weight isn't a quick & easy task. I finally feel ready to date after being single for an extended time so I'm trying to not to let my weight hold me back. I find its more my own perception than others that are causing my issues. If a thin girl matches me or tries to contact me I don't usually persue it. In my mind she's too good for me, won't really like me if we met in person etc. But I know that's my lack of confidence & self esteem. If she matched me clearly she's not that shallow & there was something in my profile that caught her attention. I would probably prefer to date a bigger girl, or similar size to myself just so I wasn't comparing & making myself feel worse.

7. ZombieGeek89

You don't have to settle at all. When I started dating I would have been considered extremely over weight.I have had a few girls who were shallow and girls who weren't attracted to bigger girls, but most women don't mind it.

I've lost about 50lb in the last year to improve some health issues I was having, but I don't think it would really make much difference dating wise, as I'm still the same person.

#7 ZombieGeek89, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  8. annonnn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am moderately overweight and i've found its more about putting yourself out there. There are the shallow people and the people who just like heavy people but it's more about finding who you connect with. Definitely do not settle, I'm not. I still want to be with someone I find interesting, loving, and attractive and I know I will. Keep your chin up, I know its hard. But remember that all the energy that you are putting in towards worrying and fighting will come back to you in positive rewards in the end.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been overweight for awhile. While I'm not sure it has been a contributing factor, I have never been lucky to date anyone yet! I'm working on it now though (joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and already lost 13 pounds!) so maybe I'll see how this turns out.

Don't worry though! I have always had the same fears and worries as you. We'll find someone!

10. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I met my first and only gf, I was severally overweight and she was average build. Medical problems made it hard for me to lose weight, and when that relationship ended I gained even more weight because I was heartbroken.

It all has to do with confidence. I still lack that even after losing 100lbs, which makes it harder for me to find girls.

11. randomconnorcon

I agree that it's more to do with confidence in yourself than actual weight. I need to lose weight for my health, but while I do believe that when I lose the weight and maybe look more like my brother again then more people may be interested in me, I won't date them if all they see is how I look. I'm still working on the confidence bit, though - partly because of my weight and partly because of my mental health. But I'll get there. I think.

Don't settle. Nothing's worth that in the long run.

12. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm glad to hear everyone's thoughts. :slight_smile: I want to lose the weight too, I just know that losing it slowly and steadily could take over a year and I don't want to wait over a year to date!