1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recoming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ronintroy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I too can't believe how far ago it feels sence i first came here looking for someone to listen. Even though it's only been a short time. It's made a word of difference. I know that where ever I go from here, EC will always be a part of my journey. I too will be there to help others along the way.... Your EC friend Ron

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Recomming out

Ron...I find it difficult to describe just how important emptyclosets has been to me. When I reached my crisis in Dec. 2014, I came out on EC. I've sent you that first post I made...I was, like you, so desperate to talk to someone, to find anyone who would listen, anybody who might have suggestions that would help me out of what I felt was a no-win situation. And ECers responded to my plea and helped me. It was a year before I connected with my therapist, Jacob, and during that year EC was my life-line. I was so confused and depressed, but because of EC I was already better than before I had come out. It's now almost two 1/2 years since that desperate Dec. 2014 plea and with the help of EC and Jacob I am a different person. I no longer cry myself to sleep. I no longer feel like I am an abomination. I no longer feel like I am a mistake who should never have been born. I no longer live in constant fear of saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing and giving myself away. I am free from the evil feeling in the back of my head that constantly told me I was terrible person and should be put in prison or worse. Now I accept myself as a good person who is just different than the majority of humanity. I feel that I am a special person that is blessed with a gift that only a few receive. Those of us who are LGBQT have been given the gift of introspection. We spend a lot of time trying to learn who we really are...something that straight people rarely do. That process teaches us so much about ourselves...it gives us an insight that few people ever find. I know that this sounds bizarre, but I now feel that being gay is a blessing - a gift! The thing that almost destroyed my life has become the thing that is the most important part of my life. I hope that you will be able to find that same feeling in your heart as time goes by. It is a feeling that has released me from the darkest parts of my life. I now see a future that is bright and exciting and I have emptyclosets to thank for it!.....Your EC Friend David.

3. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I welcome that gift with open arms. Having known what that spiecal love between two men. And lost it, and now have a chance to find it again. A chance to be who and what I was ment to be. Openly, without any hesitation, or second thought. Is like waking up to find you won the lottery lol still having hard time believing that talking to her went so well.

4. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David, I have to tell you. I slept better then i have in mouths, and now sitting here thinking about how Well it went. Wow it feels like I can breath again. I even started a new thread this morning called," oh Happy day" it's oh so so cool. So cool to know that I have found that life. A life that I had so love, but had left behind so long ago. To now once again embrace that life, welcoming it back like a long lost love.... Ron

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron... Glad you are still feeling so good about yesterday! I made a short post on the "O Happy Day" thread you started. Where would you like me to keep in touch with you, here or on the Happy Day thread?....Your EC Friend David

6. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi David. Yea and I'm still floting. Lol I saw your post on it thanks. I think if it's ok with you, I like to keep using this one. I want to keep this line going till I find that one special man for me. .... your EC friend Ron

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron....Just thought I'd check in to see how you are doing. If you want to send a message too me with our adding it to this thread, you can put it on my wall. Just click on my user name "Quebec" and post on my wall....Your friend David

8. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am good, just posted to your wall

9. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey David, wanted to talk, but not on your wall. Not really having a good day, the plan that I thought was going to happen this weekend, is now up in the air. I tried yesterday to get her to talk about it, no luck. I don't know David..... How can i be so ready, so wiling, so want it. But yet be so hard to get there. It's like something that I have reached for all my life. And now it's within grasp. But just can't quite reach it. And it's fustating the hell out of me. Lol.....
    Ron

10. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron...I sure don't have the answers to everything! At this point it's difficult to tell you much else without knowing more about your situation. If you feel like you don't want to answer any or all of these questions, that's fine but the information would really help me as I try to give you some decent advice/encouragement.
    1) Do you live in your house, her house or do your share a place?
    2) Who pays the rent/mortgage or is it shared?
    3) Do you own a car?
    4) Does she own a car?
    5) I know that your are retired, is she retired?
    6) Does her health make it impossible or just inconvenient for her to care for herself?

That's enough for starters. If you can...if you feel like you can answer those questions it will help a lot trying to help you know what to do next. Please forgive me if I have intruded...I don't mean to. I only want to help and I feel like I'm going to give you bad advice without more background info. Please do not send me any info that would allow me to contact you outside of EC (phone number, email address, Facebook name, etc.). That is against empty closets guidelines....your friend David.

11. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David, no I don't mind answering any questions that you think would help.

1) we share a apartment
    2) we split the rent
    3) no car for eather of us
    4) yes she is
    5) because she's in a wheelchair. She needs help with like go to the bathroom. Getting in and out of bed. Etc. She does have a aid weekdays. But all night and weekend falls on me.
    David you are not intruding, and I Know that you want to help. And any information that i can give you to better help me. Works out to better help me to decide the best path to take.
    Your friend.. Ron

12. findingwhoiam

Hey Quebec...may I ask a question? Now that your wife knows you are gay are you still exclusive sexually or does she allow you to explore your sexuality with a man? I was just wondering because I know that is the struggle I am having now. My husband has always been ok with me sleeping with women until recently and I dont know who to not crave that interaction.

13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron...Thanks for the reply. Ok, here goes! Can you afford an apartment on your own or is there a way to search for a roommate...Craig's List or some other public posting service in your area? Or perhaps a local senior citizens center might have a way to post a room-mate wanted or apartment wanted note. The point is working to have another place to live. Is there public transport so you can get to a new place and be able to get around once you were there? Can you afford to live alone or do your finances require you to have a roommate. Do you have family that might help you out of where you currently are living? If she needs help night and weekends can she consider moving into an assisted care facility?
    I guess you can see that the point of all this is can you work it around so that you can move out and actually be away from her...and live your own life as you desire? I know that's a huge decision...but I honestly don't see you ever really being able to be the real-you while you are living with her. I don't mean to make her sound like a terrible person. That's not the issue. The problem is that you are physically tied to the situation that is keeping you from being YOU. I really hope I don't make you feel bad with this....I'm just trying to see what the reality surrounding you really is!.....your friend David

14. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi David, I Know that you are right, that I can't be the me that I know I am as long as i am here. I most likely need a roommate. I only get s.s. 800 mo. and 50 in food aid. Were I am now no public transportation come here, and the nerest bus stop is a 20 minutes walk away. She was in a assisted living situation, and they asked her to leave, cuz she required care then they could give. She then went to a nursing home, for 2 years. Then her daughters got her out and set her up here.If really had to I guess I could do like renting a room someplace. I suppose if I leave she can get the help she would need. Oh David your right I feel so traped.
    Your friend Ron

15. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron....OK Don't start going back there again! :confused: You've made such incredible progress in the last while...you can and will make this all work out! It may take some time, but it can be done and you can do it. First thing, you don't have to do this all by yourself. As I said before look for a senior citizens group in your area...or any kind of support organization. Make a few phone calls and if the people you are talking to can't help you, ask for phone numbers and names of other organizations that may be able to help out. You need to look for low-rent housing...quite often there are subsides available for those with limited income. Troy is big enough that there should be multiple organizations that would be able to help. She has family to help her and it should be their responsibility to do so...NOT YOURS! You need to concentrate on changing your circumstances. You didn't say if you have any family that might help you out a little. Don't be upset if this process takes a little time...you have already made such huge progress, such big changes in so short a time that it probably feels like you want to be out and free RIGHT NOW! That's not surprising and not a bad idea, but in all practicality, it will probably take a little while to get things moving. YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONE TO GET THINGS MOVING....then once you've located some local support I think you'll be surprised and excited at what will happen! Keep a smile on your face...don't get down...you've come so far and even though there is still a way to go...you can do it. .....David (!)

16. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks David for your words of encouragement. And your right, she does have family near by , and I should be able to just leave her care up to them. But after last night I know she's not going to make this easy. Because there is only one bedroom here we still have to sleep together. Last night, she wanted to have sex, well sex with her hasn't been satisfy for mouths. Then she say how she doesn't want to loose me to a man. Lol well dear guess what.... Lol it's like she hasn't even heard me, or what I was saying. But whatever I have not come to far to turn back now. I have waited far to long, to feel that spiecal love again.. so however or whatever I am bound and determined, come hell or high water. To follow what I believe to be the path that I must follow......... Ron

17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron...OK! That's what I wanted to hear! A guy who has made up his mind to get out of a toxic relationship and turn things around! As I said, there is much to do and it won't all be easy....but you can make it happen. Reach out and make contacts....find those who can point you in the right direction. And start moving that direction, even if it's slow at first, you'll eventually be able to look back and see how far you've come! If sleeping with her is a problem....try the couch! Not fun but better than having to put up with something that you have told her you do not want. Keep me posted! ......your friend David

18. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks David, and I am determined to find my way out, and I kind of understand where she's coming from. But for me to continue here is not were I belong. I tried to explain to her, how I wasn't planning on this eather, when we started going together. But it's what is now and real. I have been doing that as much as possible, like going to bed and getting a clp hr. Sleep, while she's awake. Then getting up, when she comes to bed. Then sleeping a clp more on the couch. Your right David this is not going to be easy. Lol I was thinking though, sence she now knows, and there is no fear of her daughters telling her. What if I now aproched her daughter that I was thinking about talking to. Seeking if nothing more then to help her Mom over any rough spots. What do you think David?

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron Great idea to talk to the daughter. She and the rest of the family really need to step up and help their mom. All for now...I have to get to an appointment.....David

20. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David, thanks lol. I figure that by bring them in now, they can not only help her, but also in so doing help me. By giving me the space i need to make that clean break i need to live my life the way i need to. The way i want to. The way I should be....... Ron