1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Zoe Izumi, May 26, 2017.

1. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to get a new job that pays better and I HATE my "male" interview clothes. I don't know what to do about this, just put up with it for the sake of a new job, or try for some new neutral/feminine clothes.

I don't like button down shirts to begin with, and I want to put my best foot forward if I get a interview. I already know that I want to tell them that I want to go by Akari and use female pronouns if I get the job, but I'm still confused about the clothes.

2. kodiakruble

Wear like a white shirt thats not button up and pair of trousers or a black skirt above your knee.

3. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What kind of white shirt? Like, a polo shirt or something, I doubt a tee would look good.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What sort of job are you interviewing for? Depending on the position, company, education level and such they might expect their job candidates to dress up more or less than what you're expecting. Like me personally i usually just wear a nice pair of slacks and a blouse but i never feel comfortable in it, i'd rather wear something less feminine. I think that whatever you pick to wear to the interview, make sure you feel like you rock that outfit.

Also, what are your state and the particular company's rules/laws about employee names? I mean i just work at Walmart right now but they were pretty adamant that they would only use the name on my social security card when they were making my ID. Granted this was over my last name, not my first name. My point is, be prepared that this company might have similar rules, and try to do your research beforehand if you can. You might end up needing to simply tell everyone casually while making introductions that you prefer Akari and she/her pronouns. A coworker of mine did that - i mean he's cisgender, but everyone uses a name that isn't his real first name. On occasion personnel seems to cooperate cause despite the rule he has an ID with his preferred name on it. But he also had one with his real first name on it for quite a while too.

#4 AlexJames, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  5. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well if you do wear a white top of some kind make sure you wear a cami under it. i find most womens tops in white are a little on the sheer side, so a white cami would be best. also a black knee length skirt or black dress slacks would be best

6. hayden373

I've no idea wether the way I put things might be offensive, but I do not know how else to say them, given that english is not my native language, so maybe sorry.

Just wear what a "biological woman" would wear in the same scenario. Just dress appropiately, that's all there is to it. I would advise against neutral clothes, but simply because I have yet to see "neutral clothes" that would fit the occasion of a job interview.