1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayIsTheWay374, May 27, 2017.

1. GayIsTheWay374

So, I've come out to a few friends as gay. They've supported me completely ever since then and it has made our relationship much stronger. I want to come out to my parents so then I can be myself, and bring a guy home. This guy and I are trying things out to become partners.

I've thought about writing note and running away, so then I wouldn't have to deal with that confrontation. If I do this, what should I include? The reason I'm worried about this is that my dad shows some homophobic behavior and I wouldn't want to deal with that. I understand that I actually don't have to come out to him, but that would restrict me.

#1 GayIsTheWay374, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017
  2. hayden373

Do not write a note and run away. That's a dick move. Maybe talk it over with your mum first and then talk with your dad? Or let her "prepare" your dad? Y'know, calm him down?
    Just so that -should he decide to lash out- she is already prepared and can take your site?
    But don't run away. If you don't want to be there for it, sleep at a friend's house and leave a note, but let them know where you are.

3. GayIsTheWay374

Okay. I've had problems with confrontation throughout my whole life and I would literally write a note put it on the table face down, and go to my room

4. Sienrar

Hey there. What do you know about your mom and dad's attitude towards gay people? I found that it's easier to tell the one you think is more accepting first, that way you know that you have support.

A note would be okay, but keep in mind that it is a pretty shocking revelation for a lot of parents even if they are accepting, so don't be bummed out if they want to talk to you about it.

5. GayIsTheWay374

My mom shows open support towards the LGBT+ community but looking at my dad he has tried as much as he could to block LGBT+ people out of his life.

6. Sienrar

I would try to tell your mom first, and then get her advice on what to do next. Having just one parent on your side can help you feel a lot more free. Also, unless your dad is actively hostile towards LGBT, it would be good to tell him too. It could just be that he ignores them in daily life, not necessarily that he dislikes them.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do! Coming out to your parents is a brave, important step for anyone.

7. GayIsTheWay374

Thanks.