1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Gays banned from store chain: ‘No entry for f***ots’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by aussielefty, May 27, 2017.

1. aussielefty

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scary but not surprising, considering the attitude towards homosexuality in Russia.

Also no surprise to see the old, "I wanted to validate my homophobia and hatred - so I turned to religion as an excuse".

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh look... it's the US' end goal! Say hi!

Some people just can't let go of the past and focus on the future. History repeats itself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll take my money elsewhere.

5. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "as true Christians" gets thrown around a lot by those who aren't. Christ's teachings were about love for ALL, not just a few. Also Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because the people wished to harm and humiliate the angel, not because of homosexuality, but of course, when you add context to the situation homophobic people lose their shield/weapon.

6. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think he should have the right to allow in who he wants.
    Would gay groups allow evangelic Christians? Would gay bars allow them?

You have to be willing to give other people space if you want your own.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think that's how it should be in all countries or just for this particular case? If you think it should be legal for businesses in the US to discriminate against LGBT people then should it also be legal to discriminate based on race, religion, gender, disability, age, etc?

8. Wendy chan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, what a douche.
    Using your religion as an excuse to spread hatred, is the cheapest and most stupid trick, these guys have.

9. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just go to a different store. But he probably can't recognise gay people anyway unless the tell him...

10. Whatever. Let their business make less money.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to be a pain but shouldn't this be under lgbt news?

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd either rip the sign up, or be a spiteful asshole and write that I was there on the sign to spite the hateful owners (sort of like some trans people who wrote "a trans person just used the bathroom and nothing happened" note on a public restroom stall).

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But you need to tie this in with how people behave.

A conservative Evangelical Christian is unlikely to choose to go to a gay bar. There's no need for a ban, really, because it doesn't change anyone's behaviour. Even if it did, it would be relatively inconsequential because going to a very particular sort of bar isn't necessary.

A liberal gay absolutely has to buy clothes, food and household items, regardless of who owns it. If they're shut out of the most affordable shop, that's an unfair and harmful burden to bear. If it's the only provider locally or if all local providers nearby ban gays, then they have to move elsewhere and are effectively excluded from that local society on the most fundamental level.

And that's the intention of these sorts of action. Shutting people out of society entirely. Letting that occur freely or dismissing it as a matter of choice risks trivialising the way social exclusion in markets deprives people of basic liberty, livelihood and participation in society. And it matters whether it's in America or in Russia.

14. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Despite homosexuality being decriminalised in Russia in 1993, there is still unfortunately too much hate. It's going to take a long time before people learn acceptance, especially with Putin in power and the nearby situation in Chechnya. Even in the UK, 50 years after decriminalising homosexuality, it's not uncommon to find homophobia in society, which is a great shame.

I come from a country where it was never illegal to be gay under the constitution. Nevertheless being on the eastern side of the iron curtain made it impossible for western attitudes to be implemented there. It's still difficult and frightening to be gay there.

15. aussielefty

wasnt sure where to put it, sorry.:bang:

16. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Surprise, Surprise, in the article he says how he supports Trump's removal of Obama's guidance to public schools on how transgender kids should be allowed to choose which bathroom they use.

17. User742762

User742762 Guest

I agree, but I can't believe this is still happening. Like, the world is supposed to be about equality, but people still can't move on with life. If people are happy, then what's the issue?

18. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's Russia. Gays are discriminated against all the time there. I really wish there was something we could do to help gay people in Russia. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do. I'm just so happy I'm safe here in the USA, where discrimination is not as likely. I do feel eventually Russia will become more open minded, but things suck in general over there right now.

19. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, there is this too...the whole private business thing. Personally, I think anyone should be able to enter your business and make a purchase, but don't go preaching against the businesses cause. This way, we don't have all those "whites only" restaurants we used to have. But if the Christians start telling everyone they are sinners, I'd kick them out.
    I don't know. It's a tricky line to draw. Because I've been in some gay-only online gaming communities before. Sometimes, maybe it's okay. Maybe that's different, because in those cases, it's an online community, not a business.
    I don't know. It's a real hard line to draw. But it's stupid not to let anyone spend money in your store if they are not disturbing you.

I've seen an article about an event that didn't let white or straight people in before. Can't remember where that took place.

But in some cases, it makes sense to discriminate against those things. For example, a church isn't going to hire an atheist to be their preacher. A physically demanding job isn't going to hire someone with a disability that would get in the way.

20. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Assassin'sKat, I was referring to the situation this article mentions about businesses open to the public excluding certain groups of customers. I think it falls under public accommodation.

There are allowances for hiring people who are physically capable and qualified for a job and churches are absolutely allowed to hire and allow membership of their choosing.

I can't think of any reason not to sell products from a business that's open to the public due to race, religion, gender, disability, age, etc.