1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever feel like "accidentally" outing yourself?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rana, May 22, 2017.

1. Rana

Rana Guest

HerRainbow,
    Thanks for your kind words. Some days I feel courageous and other days quite cowardly.
    This whole thing has turned my world upside down and I'm desperately trying to get my bearings.

Jackie,
    Yes, re-going through puberty is how it feels. That has been more frustrating than I thought. I'm grateful things aren't worse though, and I'm encouraged by each positive day, so still holding on, still alive! ❤️

2. Unlovedbi

Yes! I feel the same way. Just say screw it...

3. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty much how I came out to my friends! Smack dab in the middle of a group text that had nothing to do with the topic.

Like "hey just FYI I'm not straight"

and just kept going with normal convo haha.

It worked out fine because it wasn't a big deal but they were informed haha it got the job done

4. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so glad to hear this isn't just me. I want to touch and kiss ALL THE WOMEN. It's very distracting. Dropping my son off at Kindergarten in the morning and having all kinds of reactions to the other moms. YIKES. I only started coming out to people in February, and I'm in the middle of divorcing my husband. One would *think* I could be mature and wait until the dust settles, but this is ridiculous.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came very close to "accidentally" coming out sometime in the last year or two, I think last spring. My mom was supposed to come over to my place at some point that day to help me hang some pictures or something, but was non-committal about a time. I waited around for a few hours without hearing anything, but was really hungry so I drove to a sandwich shop a couple of miles away. A couple minutes I placed my order (to eat there), my mom called and said she'd be at my place in about ten minutes. I knew I left EC on my computer with my monitors on, and for a minute I just sat in my booth thinking I'd just wait it out and let her go in and see it.

Sadly, I chickened out, changed my order to go, and got there a couple minutes before she arrived. Despite that failure, I actually felt encouraged at the time because I came so close to letting it happen, but unfortunately no momentum resulted from that and now I think I've given up on the idea altogether.

6. kira1998

I feel yeah. finally got the courage to tell my best friend and she told me. you just confuse honey and shh don't let anyone here you

7. indipendenza

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    hi Rana! Yes I did that yesterday :wink: I was on the train and suddenly thought: "oh my god do I have to stay in the closet for OTHER MONTHS?".
    The idea of being closeted became way more scary than the idea of my relatives knowing my homosexuality. That' how I came out "accidentally", as you said, just two hours after having that thought :eusa_clap

8. tealreality

There is definitely something to this. When I go out, even to something as unsexy like a grocery store, I am constantly checking out the men. It's weird, and wonderful.

9. Rana

Rana Guest

Another "accidental" outing! I'm quite annoyed with social media lgbt groups that don't consider privacy settings. There are groups which only have contacts via social media, many of them local ones I'd like to participate in, but since I'm not out, how can I add myself to the local lesbian group without my whole real-world friends list knowing? The open groups have no privacy. Don't they consider us poor souls who just started dealing with this and need a supportive LGBT community in real life to help us come out? (Hence, the need to join these groups before coming out!)

So with this problem, along with my desperation to be a part of some type of LGBT community in real life, yesterday I bit the bullet and joined a local organization's social media group because it was the only means by which they communicate. I just might have really "accidentally" outed myself. FML! Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had to say f**k it! We shall see what happens!

10. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done, Rana!

11. Rana

Rana Guest

Thanks RJay. We'll see if it turns into D-day! LOL!

12. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two weeks ago, I was at the karaoke with a group of people. My favorite song "Let her go" by Passenger came up and I sang along with the guy who chose the song. I was singing my hearts out so merrily and into the song, that a woman looked at me like, hmmm are you gay or what?

I might have accidentally outed myself...

13. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeh I would at some times totally love to just out myself because of a topic that comes up or something. At other times, hell no, no way.

I consider the chance my mother will hear unlikely if I tell friends, coworkers, but to be safe I'll (atleast) wait a few months till im settled into the studenthouse I secured a spot at.

I even briefly considered changing jobs because Id feel weird coming out at work after acting straight for so long. Esp since it's really no problem at all here, there are not a lot of men here but several of them are gay.
    But yeh, it's not a big deal right now so I'll worry about that later.

Have you been able to make up your mind at all, after starting this thread Rana?

Lucas