1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, don't know how to come out... Tips needed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DusDogs, May 28, 2017.

1. DusDogs

So, I want to come out tot my parents but I don't want to do it in a very serious way. Because I talk about every problem I have (except the gay thing) and they might think it is still a problem for me and I feel like if I do it in a funny or happy way, it would be easier for them to take and then they can't make it awkward. And it's easier for me. :icon_wink
    Do you guys have an idea? I am in Mexico now and it will be another month before we go home. And I want to do it before that... Oh, I think they already know... I told my twin brother... And he can't keep his mouth shut, not to my parents.
    Any tips for what's the best way to come out?
    Thank you beforehand! :icon_bigg

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there any particular reason why you wish to do it now, while you are in Mexico?

I can understand that you wish to keep it light hearted, so it doesn't seem like a serious problem, but in reality it's more significant than deciding between cake and ice cream, even for the most liberal and accepting of parents. Telling them that you are gay isn't a minor passing detail.

I think there are ways of dealing with the issue that are more subtle, but if you are away on vacation at the moment, I don't know if the opportunities will present themselves and if the idea of being in Mexico is for family enjoyment and relaxation, you may wish to reconsider the idea of mentioning it now. Introducing a subject like this when everyone is away from the familiar surroundings of home can be tricky.

3. DusDogs

Thank you for your reply! Much appreciated!
    But you don't know my parents... My brother tried to come out to them at 11 or
    12... And they were like:"Oh okay... You always choose the wrong moments(they just became very angry about something)" But my brother was a little weird at the time. And my mom also said(my father doesn't talk much) when we talked about my brother who is a little bit stuck inside himself why he had these problems and a reason came up that was about his sexuallty and she said"He can be attracted to toads or bricks, guys or girls, I don't care as long as he is happy."
    So it isn't new for them. My twin already told them it. Making it a less of a surprise...
    And maybe it is because I am from The Netherlands but all the people I know don't really care as long as you are happy... Even in school. And I am not good at sitting down, it allways becomes awkward...
    In Holland we have this TV program about single farmers that seek love and one time there was a lesbian. and in the end, she kissed with another woman. And my mom said "I don't understand why 2 women can kiss, but I can't change people and everybody should be who they are..." But I think this was more about the couple it self than two women kissing, they were a little weird...
    Oh, and I am not on a holiday, I am away from home eleven months now, so not just a holiday...
    But thanks again for your reply, I just thought there was a little bit more inside needed.

#3 DusDogs, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey DusDogs,

There is no right or wrong method for Coming Out. What ever is most comfortable and works for you is always fine. Could you kind of tell your parents something like "oh, by the way, I just wanted to let you know that I'm gay..."? That shouldn't sound like you're coming to them with a problem, just informing them.

Alternately, what about just writing them a note. I imagine that normally when you have a problem, you talk to them directly, not write them notes, so just the change in the method of communication should probably show them that you are just informing them and not coming to them with a 'problem.'

Yet another way might be to refer to your twin brother, since you said he Came Out to them already. Could you say something to your parents like "you know how [your twin's name] is gay, well I just wanted to let you know that I am, too"?

Just some thoughts.

5. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing that you feel ready to come out to your parents. If you want to do it in a light, happy, funny way maybe you can show or send them 'the official coming out song'. It's a very happy song you can find on youtube and I'm planning on using this to come out to some people as well. The song explains that you are happy this way and it's very catchy :slight_smile: good luck