1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it & It's all good :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EM68, Feb 22, 2009.

1. EM68

I finally came out to my parents! I went to my parents today. On the way I got real nervous. I thought I was going to be sick. Then I listened to the 80's station and started to relax and felt better.

After a little bit there I said to my parents I have something to tell you guys. I was shaking and my voice broke a few times. My mom asked what wrong are you sick, is your heart okay ( I have a heart condition.). I said no, my heart is fine, I am not sick. I have a letter for you to read. I gave it to them. I was so nervous. My dad finished first and with a big smile said 'so you are still my son'. Then my mom stated to cry. I was thinking oh shit she is upset. She said the reason why she was crying is because she felt bad that I felt I had to hide this from them. I explained to them that I wanted to tell them for a long time but with my dad's cancer and my brother's divorce I thought that it was best to wait. Then the holidays came up etc. My dad said so I should have not held it back. He said he was not upset at all. He would have been upset if it was my heart and I needed surgery or something. That would be worrying.

I was so happy. I started to cry from the relief I felt. Then I hugged my dad and sobbed for a few like a baby while telling them I am so happy right now. My mom came over and we had a group hug. Then I knew it was all good. My mom then asked if I was sure and if I was confused at all. I told her that I am not confused. I am way past that stage. She then asked if I went to any therapy or anything. I told her that I had gone to PFLAG meeting for 7 or 8 months. Then I think they got it that I knew. My mom wanted to make sure that I was sure and comfortable about this. I said yes that why I put it in the letter. Then my mom said she did not read the whole letter only up to the point where I told them I was gay. She then read the rest of the letter.

We talked a bit more and I apologized for the timing since my dad was going away and he said that does not matter. I told them I told my sister but did not tell my twin brother and I was not sure how it would go. My dad said tell him with us there if I wanted to, and he felt my brother will be fine. My mom said that he should not be judgmental since its something I was born with. Then my dad had to leave for his trip. My mom and I talked a little more and she was fine. I offered to stay with her she said she would be okay and she would be doing some work.

After I knew that my mom was okay I told her I probably would leave because I was tired. She said well you got a huge load off you shoulders. We hugged and she said 'I love you' and don't ever lower your head and don't let anyone tell you that you are less of a person becasue you are gay. When I left I gave my mom the booklet 'Our Daughters, Our Sons' from PFLAG for them to read. I feel so better now that I am out to them! I will probably sleep well tonight for the first time in weeks. I want to thank you guys for all of your support through my ups and downs. I don't think I could have done it without you. (&&&)

#1 EM68, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh God.....I'm crying. :tears: Its all over now Ed. Be happy! (*hug*)

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! That's awesome ED!!! I am soooooo happy for you that it went so well!

With that behind you, you will be able to enjoy things a lot more. Now you can really just be you with everybody that is important to you!

4. LyraLissa

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: Wonderfully done. I'm so happy for you, and I love your parents. Isn't it the most amazing feeling- so much weight falling from your shoulders, so much freedom?
    *spontaneous pride interlude! (!)*
    You're amazingly brave.
    ~Hugs, Lyra

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations ! The way your parents reacted is wonderful. Everyone should be so lucky. I am sure it is an enormous relief for you. I wish you all the love and the happiness in the world.
    Take care, Eleanor

6. Paralyzer

I'm really happy for you. I mean, you've probably hid it from them for more than 25 years so that's really incredible that you could bring yourself to do that now. I just think it's awesome :] Congratulations.

7. EM68

Actually I am a late bloomer! I hid it from them for only 4 or 5 years..only! :slight_smile:

8. DexterMorgan

Good gob!:thewave:

9. limfjord96

dang man, thats awesome, you gave me chills. I hope to some day have the strength and confidence to do that. I think my problem is i am a little impatient. Congrats :slight_smile:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the rest of your life. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Greggers

Thats SO amazing! (*hug*)

It must be great to have your parents so accepting and wonderful right away like that :slight_smile: and once again, PLFAG is amazing. (Ty Becky and everyone else from PFLAG!)

12. RaRa

OMG i'm glad it went well! ^_^

You deserve it, congrats! :slight_smile:

13. tm74

tm74 Guest

To quote one of my favourite 80's movies...

EXCELLENT <guitar riff>

:eusa_clap

So glad it went well for you.

14. EM68

ha ha actually one of the songs I heard on the 80's station on the way to my parents was Oingo Boingo's 'Weird Science' along with Adam Ant's Vive La rock.

15. starfish

I am at a loss for words right now. All I can say is that I am incredibly happy for you.

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Good they took it so well.

Enjoy your well-earned carefree sleep! :slight_smile:

17. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great news!! I'm happy for your whole family, don't worry about your brother, he has the right genes. Walk with Pride.......

18. sdc91

Wow, congrats!! That's probably the best reaction you could ever get, huh? It was similar with my parents. Good job, and good luck with your twin brother. Mine knows I'm gay, and he was completely fine with it.

19. EM68

Thanks! I think they took it almost too well! :dry: Your a twin? I think it will work out. I am not too worried anymore.

20. Bryan44

Congrats Ed!! I am so happy for you. That was amazing!