1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullied for being gay?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Moonstrike, Nov 14, 2010.

?

Were you bullied for being gay?

1. Yes and I am still being bullied.

4.6%
  2. Yes

26.2%
  3. No. But I have been bullied for another reason.

38.5%
  4. No. I have never been bullied to any noteworthy extent.

30.8%
  1. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Were you ever bullied for being gay?

I was never bullied for being gay but thats most likely because I havent really told many people about it yet :astonished: Although, I have been sort of bullied for other things before. I'm out of school, now, anyway.

But, if you were bullied for being gay, how did you deal with it and what advice would you give to people who are still being bullied for their sexuality? Is school the main place that people get bullied for being gay or does this also happen as frequently in other places? Are males more likely to be bullied than females over this?

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but i know people who were, a good friend of mine repeatedly was throughout high school. I never joined in the bullying and remained friends with him throughout, but i should have been louder in defending him. How blind i was as a kid...

Luckily, people kind of got used to him being gay and he stopped copping shit about it at around the 9th or 10th grade. A lot of others aren't so lucky.

3. RedKnight

I was never really bullied as I can remember. I was able to get along with most people or just adviod the people who may of caused problems.

4. Stuie

I had alopeica areata in grade 1 or 2. Being called "Stubald" when you're that old hurts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. knight of ni

I'm very lucky: the only time I've been bullied for being gay was in a dream (I got gay-bashed).
    In that respect, it helped that I didn't come out until university; I think I would have gotten some grief for it at high school.

6. xCrazyInsanity

A bit. It's died down since I completely came out. Apparently people don't know what to say anymore.

7. NordicSpirit

I was bullied in school becuase people thought I was gay. It stopped eventually becuase I just laughed it off. It didnt bother me too much becuase I didnt think I was gay. So yea it stopped. Then I realised that I am gay.

To anyone who is being bullied, I'd tell them to ignore it. If bullies know you dont care about what they're saying, they wont bother.

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

How about NO, Never, Not one insult, They were either supportive or could not give a shit.

9. partietraumatic

I have never experienced any homophobia, either directed at me, or anyone i know.

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I was bullied for a long time. Occasionally I do here things directed at me. Or just mean things directed at gay people in general, which I take offense to and I still consider it bullying.

So I checked the first option, although I am not bullied as much as I was in the past.

11. maverick

I threw a girl up against a locker my freshman year of highschool in the locker room after she had bullied me for months prior. I wasn't out at that point, she just tormented me in general.

I had never done anything to this chick up to that point when she bullied me, only gave her a stoic look and walked on. Always, until she felt the need to randomly shove me in the locker room for no reason. We even had gone to church youth groups together at one point, I couldn't understand why she had it out for me. Maybe she was a closet case herself, who knows?

Anyway, nobody bullied me after that fight though. In case it needs to be said, leave the quiet butch girl alone, especially if she's broad through the shoulders and could totally whip your bigoted ass in a fight. :dry:

She was the only person I really had problems with though, mostly I was likeable and/or anonymous.

12. VentinIntrovert

Gosh... the kid used bigger words that I couldn't have even possibly thought of...

13. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

Funny, I was always bullied for being gay, but I wasnt even out.
    6+ years of it, im not messed up at all >___>
    tell that to my suicide attempts!!!

FUCK YOU *Insert name of school here*

14. Alex19

not me. i was never bullied for anything. people, as i was told, always wondered and talked about if i was (so i guess i was the closeted gay kid that everyone knew about) gay but nobody bothered me for it. i guess living in new york and a pretty liberal city helps out a lot :slight_smile:

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I didn't come out in high school, though the kids still called me a faggot, I WAS bullied every day though. I didn't learn to fight back til I got in college and was dealing with a kid you thought he was still Mr. Cool-Shit and was still in high school, once I made my first bully turn tail, I never looked back

16. maverick

I seriously think the girl who used to bully me was mentally unstable or something. As soon as she heard I had converted to Buddhism, she was all over me. Has anyone seen the movie "Easy A" or "Saved!"? She was one of those Christians.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers...

17. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats lame. You'd think that by the time you get to college people would stop being arseholes.

18. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

College is just like High School, only older.

While when you get a job, your job becomes the new High School.

You never leave high school :frowning2:

19. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats not been my experience at all. I went to a school where everyone got bullied or was a bully but once I moved to UK college at 16 years old people were much nicer.

20. maverick

Me either, I really blossomed in college because political activism made me defiant and outspoken. Before then, it was just me and those two questionable closeted guys at my high school. Or at least it seemed that way. We all stayed on the DL. :dry: