1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here my Letter i Plan on Showing my Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Grof142007, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Grof142007

So Yea that my Letter i Have saved and plan on giving to them before i leave for Charlotte to go to the club. =)

2. Louise

I think your letter is wonderful. It covers all the necessary points without trying to justify yourself, it is clear and to the point. The fact that you have raised the question of love is very important.

I don't think there is anything more that you can do. You must have given this all a great, great deal of thought. Hope everything goes well for you :thumbsup:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's good.

My only comment is that it could be a bit too directly to the point. It's the very first thing you say.

I would have probably included a couple of sentences before the "I am gay" bit. Perhaps moving this bit up as the first paragraph....

... maybe reworded a bit ....

Then on with the "I am gay" as the start of the second paragraph, leaving out the bit that's been moved, and the rest is fine as it is.

It is likely that they will not read much beyond "I am gay" or if they do they will not really take in what you are saying. They will read the bit before, which is why I think you should have that, especially the part about how you love them, before the big news.

Once they have read and began to take in the news there will probably be a lot of discussion. Choose a time when you and they have time for this. So perhaps when they are home for the evening and half-watching the TV, not when they are getting ready to go out somewhere.

I don't like the idea of giving it to them, then going out for the evening. They will have questions and will want to talk about this with you. Leaving them on their own might make things worse if they discuss between themselves how bad/miserable/disappointing/whatever this is. They may wait up until you get home anyway, which would be worse than having the discussion straight away.

However you know your parents, and presumably know what would be the best way of dealing with them with this. Just think of it from their point of view and do it the way you think would be best for them. What's best for them is best for you too!

Good luck with this. When are you planning to give it to them? Please let us know how it goes.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Grof....I liked Paul's suggestion of moving the "I'm gay" futher down into the letter and planning on being home afterward to answer questions. I love the idea you are giving them an informational flyer with the letter. Other than that, the letter is perfect. Good luck with it all. We support you AND we like you! (*hug*)

5. Grof142007

Hmm now that i think about i like moving that bit further down Thanks for the Sugg =) i was plan on doing it in the morn like 8am then my friends were going to pick me up at 11am. i figure if anything went wrong i know i have a way out

Updated version

Wow i am really excited now knowing i have a good letter

#5 Grof142007, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Be sure and let us all know how it goes!

7. Bryan

*Tear, tear* That is beautiful, Good Luck, and know we are all here for you!

8. pirateninja

The letter idea is brilliant. It gives them a chance to reread it and understand it better. I hope all goes well for you, please tell us how it goes!

9. That's awesome Kevin! I hope it goes alright.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Giving them the letter at around 8am then going out at around 11am sounds good. It gives you some time with them, then gives them some time on their own with it. They will probably want to discuss it more when you get back, so be ready for that.

As for the PFLAG or whatever material, don't put it with the letter as they will see that before reading the letter. Perhaps give it to them before you go out, or at an appropriate time during the conversation?

11. Grof142007

Hmm Good Idea Paul... Got anything Else u want to put hehehe

12. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  13. crimsonarcher

sounds similar to the letter my cousin used.

14. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope everything will be fine! Good luck with the letter! You're very brave :thumbsup:

15. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Great letter!I hope everything goes well for you.(*hug*)

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Most letters like this are going to cover pretty much the same stuff, so will probably sound fairly similar.

I think it is important to write your own though, and not take someone else's and modify it. It needs to sound like you are saying it, and the only way this can happen is if you write it.

17. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I had to wipe the tears from my eyes. A great letter and I'm sure it will work out. What more can you do? I'm sure once they've read this letter (and it definitely comes from the heart) there's no way they can't accept you.

Good luck :thumbsup:

18. godfather

godfather Guest

wow....thats is amazing letter i feel its best to speak from the heart and i think that letter really shows that:icon_bigg im so impressed someone can do what youve done nice one!!:icon_wink :eusa_clap

19. Grof142007

Aww Thanks Guys:icon_bigg funny thing i i wrote this while waiting for a shuttle bus to pick me up but yea totally from the heart