1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out & Embarrassment

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentsound, Feb 4, 2011.

1. silentsound

Recently I've been slowly starting to tell more close friends and try to be more confident in myself as a gay teenager (even though I have zero interest in being totally out in high school I want my friends to know.) This is obviously a scary process & I'm taking it slow, but one of the main road blocks I'm hitting is that I just feel embarrassed about being gay. Like I just feel like sexual preference is something that is so awkward and personal that I get really embarrassed and pull back whenever I think I want to tell people. The thing is I accept myself, I really do. I've been living with this for more than three years and I know that I'm ready to tell more people- I'm not forcing it at all. The few times I've been able to push through it coming out has felt amazing, but I just can't seem to get over this feeling of being embarrassed and even a little ashamed of it. Has anyone else felt this way? What can I do to help it?

Thanks. Much Love,

Hannah

2. roborama

its totally normal to feel embarressed about it, but being ashamed about a part of who you are (even if you accept it inside) is not helpful. you might get bad reactions from some people yes, but as youve been able to tall from experience, once you tell a person it feels awsome. good luck with everything!

3. This might not be for everyone, but I got through some of my embarrassment in two ways:

1. When I was by myself I would say aloud to myself "I'm gay". After a while, this felt natural coming out of my mouth. Then came the harder part.

2. When I was coming out, I was embarrassed, I was worried about a TON of things and also felt like I was exposing a really secret part of myself to the whole entire world because I'd been hiding for so long, but the more people I told, the more I calmed down. Almost like when I said it over and over again to make myself comfortable. I told it over and over to make myself comfortable with people knowing.