1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyways.. awkward parental conversation...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LikeMyCloset, Oct 1, 2011.

1. LikeMyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So while driving today with my mother, I mentioned "it's funny, but I found out this week that there's someone I went to school with who has done what I think is a good thing, but our alma mater probably won't think so"
    hang with me here
    I went to an uber conservative Baptist college, which is on Soul Force's annual bus ride b/c they kick people out of school when they come out. :help:
    So my mom predictably said, "what? really? what has he done?"
    and I explained that this guy I went to school with started a gay christian org to show people that you don't have to either give up on your faith or your sexuality. :thumbsup:
    She said something along the lines of that's cool, since there are so many rabidly sexual homosexuals out there, and so many of them are "promiscuous" (her word) :rolle:
    She then goes on to say she's not sure, but she things a lot of things Christians use in the Bible against gays are just cultural things like covering your head while praying and not eating pork :eusa_danc
    but then goes on to say that she still thinks it's weird, that in her opinion most gays are that way because they were sexually abused as children :eusa_doh: and that there is something "fundamentally broken with them" :bang:

so, what now?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm hard to say what this is about. I dunno it's like she was both saying she supports it but doesn't....I'm not sure what advice to give you...sorry.

3. Gallatin

Eh, it kind of sounds good and bad. On one hand, it doesn't sound like she necessarily hates gay people, but she definitely has some major misconceptions about them; misconceptions that need some clearing up.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like she's openminded but uninformed.

It's also possible she at some level (below conscious, perhaps) knows or suspects something's up with you, but isn't ready to accept it, hence the statement about being broken... that can be an unconscious way of essentially rejecting or denying the truth.

I don't think she'd respond badly if you came out. Might be a little hard at first but it sounds like she has a has a reasonable grasp of things and is thoughtful rather than being ignorantly dogmatic.

5. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I notice you are female.. I don' t know what her views on you being gay would be.. but that whole train of thought from her sounds like shes leaning more towards men in her judgments... oversexualised beings, which most women think men are anyway. .sounds more like a convo about gay men than gayness in general.

Good on your friend though :slight_smile:.. Kicking ppl out of school for such.. I'm sad to say that similar things happen on this side of the world too :frowning2:

Its a tricky one, but I think you should definitely tell her you have same sex feelings sometimes, see how she handles that?

6. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello sweetie!

It sounds like you and your mother had a constructive, insightful conversation ,and I can tell you right now, that the communiction you have with her is putting you on the right direction before you even start your car. Subtle, hinting conversations like you mentioned are a great way to get her opinions on things without fully putting yourself in a situation that you aren't ready for. Baby steps! :]
    Even though you don't see eye to eye with her on the topic of homosexuality, both of your approaches to the subject are respectful, and mindful of eachother. Keep that attitude! As long as you two can have those kinds of discssions, you'll be able to talk out anything. Civil discussion important for heathly communication.
    I know coming out to your mother, or anyone else for that matter, isn't an easy thing to do, but you deserve to be loved for who you really truly are, just as your family deserves the opportunity to make that happen for you. :] Be prepared for a bit of shock [baby steps, like I said, is important to avoid this], at first, but I promise that over time, you'll be wishing you'd done it sooner. :] For a lot of families, it can introduce a fresh feeling of togetherness, acceptance, and identity.

I wish nothing but the best for you dear! Much love.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think she is repeating what she's heard and she's never given any actual thought to the subject of human sexuality. Some people believe really crazy things. Check this out, this guy is a state Senator and supposedly a doctor yet he thinks and says all kinds of crazy about gay people. Prop 8 Trial Tracker » Audio: Signorile grills NC’s head marriage banner; said banner can’t take heat, leaves kitchen, blames cook. I think once your mom gets a little education on the facts she'll be ok with you if you want to come out. Take care!