1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's in a name?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexisAnne, Oct 25, 2012.

1. AlexisAnne

So I'm trying to settle on a name. I'm down to two, both of which come from fictional characters of mine who are very dear to my heart and have a lot of me in them. Here goes:

Nora
    Alexis

This obviously isn't a yes or no thing. I'm simply looking for thoughts and opinions here. I'm just having a hard time breaking the tie and welcome your thoughts.

2. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Nora, it seems like a really nice, friendly name.

But I really like Alexis too...

3. AlexisAnne

Yeah I love the name Alexis, but I really love the character that Nora comes from. Possibly the best character I've created. I also like the shortened versions of Alexis; Lex, Lexy, and even Alex. Tough choice, but its gonna be one if the two though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for weighing in!

#3 AlexisAnne, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about America but over here I've never heard of anyone under the age of 70 called Nora, it's a real old lady name that people don't use anymore.

5. AlexisAnne

I've known a couple of girls my age with the name, but that's definitely something to think about. You actually may have swayed me toward Alexis a bit :lol:

6. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah, I didn't even think that Alexis could be abbreviated to Lex. Lex/Lexy is a pretty cool name. Nora has the warmth factor, but Alexis has spunk. That's a really tough decision!

What about Noralex? Or maybe not. I'm not good at this, I spent two hours deciding on a friggen screen name.

7. AlexisAnne

Noralex... :lol:

We may have a third competitor...

Alexis is actually a spunky and energetic character too. She represents that side of me in my writing. Nora is a somewhat darker, more psychological character and represents those qualities in me, both important aspects.

8. Alan Lewrie

I like Nora a lot as well, but I'm somewhat of a walking anachronism, so take that how you want. But I don't think it has to be associated with old people, I've met a girl or two with that name.

9. Neutrality

Use one as a first name and the other as a middle name maybe? Then you could go by both. =P

10. Adarya

I agree with Neutrality. If you really can't decide then pick one and the other can be your middle name- you can choose which one you want to go by at any given time because they would both technically be your name

Alexis sounds rather pretty :slight_smile: But Nora also seems like a really nice name.

11. AlexisAnne

I hadn't thought about that actually. It's a good point though. My middle name is decidedly masculine so it'll have to go. It would also solve my "choice" problem. So, if I go that way what flows better?

Alexis Nora

Or

Nora Alexis

I kind of like the first one because I don't like the first name ending with the first letter of the second name. Would like to know what others think :slight_smile:

12. Agreeing that Nora sounds like a name for an older woman, although I have seen a few people OP's age with it. I like the idea of using Nora as a middle name --- a lot of middle names are "family names," so it wouldn't be weird to see something that's not so modern there.

I definitely prefer the former for the reason you stated, but from all the times we talked, I can see you as either an Alexis or a Nora. :slight_smile: I've been wondering what I should call you besides TJM. That's probably not that helpful! Anyway, when choosing which combination, an important factor to consider is your last name, and maybe your last name wouldn't sound good with either, I don't know. I couldn't find a middle name that I felt suited my first and last name, so I ended up not taking one.

13. LightningRider

I think Alexis Nora flows better than Nora Alexis.

Definitely say first, middle and last names out loud to yourself and see if you like it.

I've also found this site during one of my late night internet surfing sprees :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    5 Things To Consider When Choosing A Name

14. Oh yeah, that reminds me of something I forgot to say in my last post. Practice writing your signature, and see which comes more naturally/looks better to you. I had like ten full notebook pages dedicated to that purpose. :icon_redf That link also had some good advice.

15. AlexisAnne

Thanks for your opinions and advice guys. I checked out that link Lightning, and there was some useful info and some good suggestions there, so thanks for linking it. The comment about saying it out loud was helpful as well.

E, I hadn't even really thought about the signature aspect until now, but that's a very good point as well. Something I'll have to work on a bit today.

Right now, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward taking Alexis as my first name and dropping Nora completely in favor of something else that has yet to be determined. In conjunction with my last name, I don't think Alexis Nora works all that well.

16. J Snow

I like Alexis a lot. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Nora, as someone else above said, I picture it as an outdated name you would only hear a woman in her 60's or older having today. Plus Lexi is a pretty cute nickname =)

All that matters is what you think though.

17. AlexisAnne

Response to Alexis seems pretty favorable, and I have to admit I really like it. Aside from belonging to an important character of mine, I actually suggested it to a coworker probably ten years ago who had just moved to this country and was looking for an easier name for others to pronounce. She actually loved it and started using it.

18. AlexisAnne

I've settled on Alexis Anne. Love Alexis, and Anne is really similar to my given middle name: Anthony. They sound good with my last name, and I'm really fond of both. Thank you for your help :slight_smile: