1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender/genderqueer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RebekahsRevenge, Nov 9, 2012.

1. RebekahsRevenge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi,

I've only recently accepted that I am transgender/genderqueer (I'm not really sure how to define myself at this stage or what the exact definitions of these words are tbh) I've always been quite feminine eg at school I had to teach myself to walk and talk like a boy due to bullying, when I was quite young I got caught playing with my sisters make-up and dresses etc and I have always related much more to girls than boys but due to bullying and fear of rejection etc I have suppressed it up until now. I have told my GF who has been amazingly supportive and even took me shopping for clothes and make-up but I am very confused atm and hopefully someone here can help me understand better who I am and how best to proceed. Am I a trans-woman? Does that make me a lesbian? I feel like if I could better define who I am it would be easier to understand and explain to others if and when I decide to come out to anyone else. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Very confused and a bit scared

Rx

2. DhammaGamer

If you are a girl, and you date girls and are not attracted to me, then you are a lesbian. If you are genderqueer and do not identify as a woman then I don't think there is a name for your sexuality. Personally, I don't label my sexuality. I just say I'm queer. Do you want to go through the whole transition, sex-change, process? Or do you just like dressing like a girl?

3. RebekahsRevenge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am male, physically at least, but attracted to girls. Since I've only just started to accept that part of myself I really don't know if I'd be willing to go through surgery I have been thinking about it a lot but obv it's HUGE step to take and I'm definitely not ready to make that level of commitment yet

4. DhammaGamer

If you are female on the inside then you are not male. You can have masculine physical characteristics and personality traits, but the only person who defines your gender is you. Surgery is definitely a big thing, but transition involves a lot more than just surgery. In fact, the surgery is more like the icing on top of the cake, even though the media portrays it as the only really essential element of a sex-change.

5. RebekahsRevenge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok thanks, that helps a lot. Could you please recommended some further reading? It seems to be such a taboo subject for whatever reason and I don't know where to look for info

6. DoriaN

Expression is the biggest part of it really, sex/gentials/surgery are an afterthought (atleast in my case).

Don't look to others for opinions on 'what' you are, that's something you need to research and explore yourself.

7. wandering i

I've found this website useful and informative: T-Vox

Regarding the title of your sexual orientation, I think right now it's best not to worry about labels at all. It's been about four months since I found my birth sex just wasn't fitting me anymore, enough to cause stress and anxiety, and since that time i've been taking small steps with my appearance to be more neutral/actively crossdress. I'm not sure if I am fully trans, so neutral is a good starting point for me, and that's how I've decided to live until I feel the need to change. I know for a fact I am a crossdresser and dressing like my birthsex is embarrassing and stressful. Thankfully there is a lot of gender neutral clothing, so you can take things slow if you aren't ready to go all-out yet. Getting an appropriate haircut has done wonders for me, and when I go out I always try to observe how others walk, so I can more easily pass. Doing just that much has relieved so much of my stress.

What I'm learning about this process is that it doesn't come clear all at once. Take your time, do what makes you comfortable, and don't be afraid of anything you realize about yourself. Because your gender, sexual orientation, and body, do not determine whether you're a good person or not. It's how you treat others and yourself- and that applies to everyone!

8. Valarie

Valarie Guest

trying to label your orientation when your questioning your gender doesnt work. straight and gay only work for the binary genders, once you break away from that, everything is out the window

for me, who im attracted to depends a lot on the person and not so much on gender but tend to be sub (so in basic gender roles in sex, feminine side), but that doesnt really mater too much

as for surgery or what not, i have no clue if i want to or not, i go back and forth all the time

the only thing i do know is that i want to make my outside look like how i feel on the inside
    other than that, gender is not really a concern for me, i like what i like, i do what i do, my friends are my friends

also take your time figure things out, it takes a lot to know oneself, i still am figuring myself out and i've been actively working on this for 2+ years, bothering me forever

and it takes a lot to go through this
    though if it is really you, then nothing will stop you except for yourself, if you let it

9. AlexVonRitter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im basically realized that im female on the inside. Im completely feminine but work as a man. So i guess at the moment im gender queer. As for sexual attraction i want to say im attracted to men. But im more after that special someone in my life, i dont care what gender they are.