1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex94, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I have a pair of Sony's but they are not loud enough.
    - You can have them all the way up and they are still not loud enough for most songs.
    I also have 2 pair of Skull Candy buds but they have to much bass for the type of music I listen to.
    - Their is so much bass you can't even hear the riff's.
    So my question to you is what brand/style of headphones would y'all recommend? I listen to all sub genre's of metal, shock rock, industrial and punk if that helps.

2. starfish

What is your price range, and are you looking for over the ear type, or ear buds?

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Over the ear and I have a budget of 20-25.
    - Not much I know.

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Klipsch S4i all the way!

5. BlueLines

If you check on amazon you can find awesome headphones that are referbished. I bought 3 pairs of sennheiser HD205s for 16$ a pair. 20 after shipping and they all sounded great.

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

BlueLines, that would require a credit card in which I do not have.
    - Stridenttube, I do not want buds but thank you for your input.

7. purpleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have also heard good things about the cheap sennheiser headphones, I have quickly listened to a pair and was initially impressed but didn't listen to them for long. the akg k450/451's are good but they are a little over budget at £40.
    the other option if you like the sonys but they just need to be louder would be a small fiio E05 headphone amp , I haven't used the smallest one but im almost certain it will do the trick .

8. purpleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... you could join/ look at "the student room" forum and ask the same kind of thing in the sound vision section... the site mod is very helpful and has a knowledge of a wide range of hedphones , the other site that is dedicated to headphones is "headfi" but they can be a little up themselves . lol

9. BlueLines

You can always go to your local convenience store and grab one of those gift card visas. Most of them will let you put as much cash as you want on them. (As long as its under $100, then they need other information.)

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Sweet, I will look into that!

11. adam88

Lol yeah, totally. Had to quit that site like a bad heroin addiction, but not before getting my hands on a pair of Sennheiser HD650s :slight_smile:

To the OP: Not "loud" enough? Maybe try looking for an inexpensive Fiio amp? It goes between your music player and phones to give more volume, many of the Fiios also boost bass slightly (makes cheaper phones sound a tad better) If by "not loud enough" you mean "distorts at high volume rather than sounding clear" then you'll need to save for some better phones. I'd aim for phones in the $150 range - they should last you a while and I guarantee you haven't heard as good. Only issue is that they'll get you saving for $350 cans... then $500 cans... then a tube amp... AAARGH this is why I quit Head-fi. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. SlickyPants

[​IMG]

About $25 for the rum. I always enjoy some booze when I rock out.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another possibility: I think I've seen Amazon gift cards for sale locally. Not sure what items they can be used for, but the fees might be better.

Another thought: if you have a debit card with credit card logo (like Visa) that should also work. I use my debit card processed as credit all the time with no trouble. (One warning: on-line transactions possibly carry some risks. I'm neurotic, so my checking account is low balance, and isolated from my main savings account.)

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2013 at 11:06 PM ----------

This is worth considering. I'm not a headphone expert, but I do know the power output of many devices headphone jacks is not really adequate.

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2013 at 11:09 PM ----------

I think problems at high volume levels could also be caused by limited power from the headphone jack. (Although it could also be inadequate headphones.)

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

Even half of $150 would get a huge step above entry level. I have a pair of Grado SR60 headphones which are (in the current generation) about that price. They were clearly better than the twenty dollar headphones I'd used previously. And that twenty dollar headphone had gotten a lot of interest as being amazingly good for the price. (I won't mention the twenty dollar wonder. It was OK, and I'd suggest it for those on a strict budget. But it's probably been off the market 10+ years.)

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2013 at 11:27 PM ----------

Another buying option is a store in Portland, OR. I bought a couple of things from them about 10 years ago, and--at that time, at least--they'd accept a check or money order. The experiences were among the best audio equipment buying experiences ever.

Only problem: their web site inventory does tend to skew towards the expensive. But they do have a Sennheiser model close to your range (thirty dollars). They might have something not listed that's cheaper--years back, they told me the listed equipment tended to be higher end. The more affordable stuff was not listed and was generally sold locally.

Their web site: Echo Audio - Your source for the finest Home Audio and Hi-Fi Audio Equipment

#13 BMC77, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  14. freemysoul

freemysoul Guest

For that price range, I'd go with Sennheiser :slight_smile:

15. BlueLines

I just picked up some Sennheiser HD280's, I really like them, they seem durable and kill outside noise well enough.

Now I just have to see if they are cat proof...