1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with university computing please?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Islander, Jul 18, 2013.

?

What computing method is best at uni?

1. Laptop

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Netbook

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Notebook

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Macbook

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Tablet

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Islander

Hi all,

I am going to university in England in September, to study science (don't want to post my particular course here, too many details if someone on here knows me!) and I was wondering what people would advise in terms of what sort of computer to get, if at all? So should I get a laptop/netbook/tablet etc.?

Thanks,

Islander

2. Beware Of You

Well I have both a MacBook and a Netbook but I am on a PhD so I don't have lectures as such

3. littleoldme

as a uni student i take all my notes with pen and paper (i know shocking people still do that lol) but if i where to use something to take notes in class i think tablet would be best but for research and typing up assignments id say some sort of laptop, specifically one that has word coz mine doesnt and drives me bonkers

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a tablet, unless you're really skilled at typing on them or you get a keyboard for it. Your best bet is something fairly light that you can type on quickly.

5. biggayguy

For science I would think you would want the versatility of a laptop with Wi-Fi. That way you wouldn't have to wait for a lab computer to be open to do your class work. You could also get an inexpensive MP4 recorder to record lectures. It's fairly easy to transfer MP4 files to your computer.

6. RainbowMan

Are you limited to purchasing one of these things?

If so, I'd go with a netbook, simply because it's a compromise between all of the above. That being said, it does none of them particularly well, so I'd avoid it if you can buy both a tablet and a laptop, each of which has their own purposes. The tablet would be used in class taking notes, and the laptop would be used for pretty much everything else.

You can get some decent software that will let you do stuff in the cloud (did I just use that term? I HATE it :grin:) and sync it among the various devices. For notes, something like Evernote comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't sound like you'll be using this computer for anything other than notes, and other class things, and I'm going to assume you're not taking any tech courses. Based off these assumptions, I would rule out a tablet, and Mac. Getting a Mac would be a waste of money if you're only going to use it for note taking and browsing the internet. Some people are great at writing on tablets, but as one of the AP's mentioned, it might be slow-going, if you didn't get an attachable keyboard. I think your best bet would be to go for a small netbook. It's a good mix of the things you seem to want, and you can put just about whatever word processing software you really want on it.

8. Amerigo

everyone just uses a laptop

9. BudderMC

I'm an engineering student. I use a laptop for all of my off-campus work (assignments, lab reports, professional reports, etc.) and just take notes with a clipboard in class. There really is no substitute for writing out your own notes in science/math based classes, IMO.

10. TraceElement

I agree with Budder. Paper and pencil/pen for science, maths, and possibly language classes. I would use a laptop for other classes and reports.

11. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In classes I only use pen and paper, out of classes (for assignments, research... surfing) I use a laptop

12. Islander

Thanks, guys. I would probably prefer to write notes on paper, rather than typing them up, but would like to have internet access and Word available in my room. But I would also like whatever I get to be fairly portable, so that I can take it to lectures in case I want to look up something on the internet, or if I want to use it in the library.

I'm not into gaming or anything, the most demanding thing I'd probably use it for is watching films. I've heard that getting a full-blown laptop could be quite annoying during lectures, as the fan makes a loud sound, and they take up quite a lot of space. According to some people, netbooks are quite slow. Also is there any difference between a netbook and a notebook?

Someone further up asked if I am limited to only buying one option - the answer is yes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Also, I'd probably like one with a webcam so that I could video lectures, if needs be.

Sorry for the many questions, I'm just slightly technologically challenged/ignorant/both.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Essentially, netbooks and notebooks are pretty much the same thing. The difference is that a netbook is smaller and cheaper. They also usually have cramped keyboards--which I think is a huge problem for a student (although you could also add an external keyboard for when you are doing heavy duty writing). Netbooks are usually slow by current standards.

I personally like netbooks (although I've never had one) because of the size and price. But it would not be my #1 choice for a student. I'm not sure they'd have enough power, or durability to be a primary (and heavily used) computer to take one through college.

This is not the cheapest option, but my vote would be for a MacBook Air. Very portable and light. But a better keyboard than what you get in a netbook. (Keyboard is important since you'll probably be doing a lot of typing.) The MacBook Air is also quite quiet. It's supposed to have good battery life, it does have a camera, and, of course, wi-fi support. Also if you are technologically challenged, Apple may be the best choice.

However, the MacBook Air is not the cheapest computer out there. The current price for the small model is high enough that you could theoretically buy 3 cheap netbooks. Or 1 rock bottom cheap portable device, and one more powerful computer. (Say a netbook or tablet to take around campus, and a cheap but reasonably powerful notebook where you live.)

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2013 at 01:48 PM ----------

On second thought...

Possibly a regular MacBook would be a better choice. The question is how important is portability? And how important is it to keep it as small and light as possible?

Generic laptops are worth considering, too. I think the question about noise is one that should be answered. (I can't answer this because I have no experience.)

One problem with generic laptops that I've noticed: when they are cheap, they are often cheap in more than the sense of price. I'm not sure they could hold up to take someone through college. I am sure that the keyboards are terrible, at least by my standards.

14. purpleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if you do decide you want a mac you would be best buying it online with a uni pc as the student discount will only work if the ip address is valid , so you have to be at a university ect.
    personally I have a desktop pc at uni, I had a laptop too last year but I didn't use it so this year I have left it at home.
    again personally I prefer full sized laptops, the keyboard although not ideal is easier to work on , they tend to have built in cd/dvd drives whereas smaller ones don't. and the screen is larger for watching iplayer ect. I would not let the fan noise be of any concern , in most lectures there is a higher level of ambient noise than the pc fan.... rustling and the projectors are always pretty noisy .
    a few places id check out are
    ccl
    dabs
    novatech
    and the more usual places.
    I quite like Toshiba and sony but this is just personal, there are many many good laptops out there , you will just have to do your research :wink: .
    its easier to type ect on a full size pc and I usually do my essays at uni where there are less distractions , I will admit at peak times of the year finding a pc can take a while but I have always found one somewhere.

#14 purpleboy, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One more thought: if it's possible, it's a good idea to try to play with some of the possibles. In my area, stores that sell laptops usually have a working display model. These can give a sense of what will work.

Demo models are exactly the reason I know that cheap notebooks don't have very good keyboards.

16. Islander

Thanks BMC77, I'll have a look round in some stores too.

17. biggayguy

I have a notebook pc made by HP. It's lighter than a standard laptop and very quiet. The keyboard is slightly cramped but usable. If I were going back to school I would have no problems using it. Another slight drawback is that my notebook does generate a lot of heat. Keeping the vents open to the air is vital for cooling.

#17 biggayguy, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're options in the poll aren't very helpful.

I would recommend a Laptop/Notebook over a desktop because students are typically more transient and it's easier to move. A tablet IMHO although great for travel, aren't particularly suited for students, unless you have something Windows x86 (not RT) that can run Onenote proper.

However I rarely brought my notebook to school because in class they are a major distraction, and most of my in-school needs (for reports, etc), were met by computer labs. Seriously it's amazing how many people take their notebook to class and start surfing the net, playing online poker, etc.

As far as specific model, it's hard to say without knowing you're needs. Unless you have a lot of high power needs (eg latest gaming), a <$500 computer (or equivalent in GBP) should meet your needs.

For sizes:
    15"-17" if it will basically live as a desktop at your dorm / apartment, normally best bang for the buck. My home PC is a 15.4" laptop. I would take it to school at the end of term when we camped out all day in the library to write our final reports.

13.3-14" for a fairly portable unit that you can use full time. My work PC is a 14.1" and is fairly portable on trips, my brother drags his 14.1" around to and from school and home.

11.6-12" Ultraportable to carry around full time. My "netbook" that I use for travel is this size. The rest of the time it lives plugged into my TV.

In any case for ergonomics, particularly with a smaller computer, consider an external keyboard/mouse set at home, external mouse on the road, and even consider an external monitor for home.

In any case the netbook proper (Atom based 10" 1024x600) market is pretty much dead, but you can get some low cost, ultra portable machines with decent performance. Eg: This is i3 with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for $370: Acer Aspire V5 11.6" Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i3-2365M / 500GB HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 8) : 13" & Smaller Laptops - Future Shop

This compares with Ultrabook proper which are higher performance, but much higher cost. Macbooks are premium notebooks. People with them are generally quite satisfied however they are premium priced. My comments on size are still applicable.