1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm looking to get a new smart phone. Anybody have any suggetions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BradThePug, Jul 18, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I currently have an Iphone 4. It's starting to do some wacky crap, so I think that it's time to get a new phone. Right now, I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Iphone 5. I'm leaning towards the samsung phone.

I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice about which phone to get, because I'm still a bit torn.

2. Gen

Gen

Samsung Galaxies! I love my galaxy. I never really found Iphones to be as amazing as they are deemed to be. Most of my friends tend to want to switch over after they use mine anyway.

3. Almost everyone I know has had major problems with their smartphones. I have never had a single problem with any iPhone. that's always my big deciding factor. I just want my phone to do what I want it to do simply, elegantly and without having a ton of problems. the iphone has been that way for me always.

but really, I've never owned a galaxy myself, so I don't know how helpful my advice really is :lol:

4. Ridiculous

I'm always going to suggest against a Galaxy because in my experience everything Samsung adds just makes the experience worse. If you're going Android then go for a pure Android (which right now means the Nexus 4).
    There is always the option of installing a custom Android OS on it though if you want to go that direction - I did on my old Galaxy.

5. KazTastic

Or do both, and get the Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition. It's not subsidised, so it costs quite a bit, but not having Samsung's crap piled on it makes it worth the cost.

6. BlueLines

The S3 is an awesome phone, and its not that far behind the S4, especially after the software updates. I bought an S4 and my friends S3 does everything except for the lame parlor tricks like eye tracking. I wish I would of got the S3 and saved the $300. You can't go wrong with an S3/S4 though. They are easy to flash and have a lot of 3rd party support. (Just look at the XDA-Developers forum) So if you don't like what Samsung has done to Android you can always change the end user experience to best suite you.

7. starfish

I'm very happy with my HTC one.

The screen on it is amazing and the battery life is great. I also like HTC sense more than Samsung Touchwiz. I know I am in the minority, but I don't care for stock Android.

8. Munyal

My dad got a Galaxy S4 and he loves it.
    iPhones are a little more user-friendly, though.
    The Galaxy is very complex, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

9. photoguy93

I was just talking with some friends at work about this. A girl said she had one of the Galaxies and it sucked battery like it was going out of style.

I won't lie, though...I love how android allows you to just have so much neat stuff. iPhones are very cut and dry.

However, I'd still say...IPHONE ALL THE WAY! My phone is getting pretty old, too (I have a 4) but I'm waiting. I'd suggest waiting just a few more months....the 5s should be out soon. Rumors are that it's already in production.

10. dphu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4.

11. Luke Matt

My Samsung Galaxy S3 is serving me quite well :slight_smile:

12. rose94

I have a Samsung Galaxy something-or-other. I agree with the poor battery life, it's terrible after a few hours of actually using the darn thing. Also Touchwiz is...grrr!!! But I can't be bothered to flash it. I flashed my old HTC Wildfire, but to be honest, it doesn't change an awful lot. I think the Iphone set-up, although a bit less customisable, is just easier and cleaner to use in the first place.

So, I'm waiting for my contract to end and then it's Iphone for me! Hope this helps.

13. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Question! May I ask which carrier you're with?

14. RainbowMan

Does it matter what carrier he's with? I assume that if he is considering a platform switch (iPhone->Android) then there's already significant switching cost involved, the switching carriers piece is probably negligible in comparison.

The phone that I have that I like is the Nexus 4. Just a solid phone with a decently sized screen.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with verizon right now. It actually won't cost me too much to switch platforms. I don't have too many apps that I payed for on my iphone. I also am using my upgrade to get the phone.

16. grizzleybear33

Android kicks iOS's butt. The galaxy's are awesome. The GS3 was, has been, and will be awesome until the GS5 comes out. Like someone said pure Android is so much better than the crap Samsung loads on it. Definitely worth rooting and putting something like CM10 on it. If you are up to learning a new OS then for sure get the S4 but if you like simplicity then stay with the iPhone.

17. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Carrier matters. Some phones are only offered on some carriers, and all manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, LG) make their operating systems different than each other.

I'd suggest an Android phone over an iPhone. Either the Galaxy S4 (I was going to say Active, if you were on AT&T) or a DROID by Motorola. c:

18. Holly

If you're not into Apple products, I would recommend the Nokia Lumia series. Windows Phones are generally good, and in my opinion rather funky :wink:

19. ScatteredEarth

I'd recommend the S4.. My dad has the S3 and it's amazing. Does way more than the iPhone ever does in their updates..

iPhone 4: A couple of neat things here and there..

iPhone 4S: Siri.. Really.. That's it.

20. diegohrz

I second everything Ridiculous said + keep in mind that galaxy S4 is very big and pretty impractical to carry around (I have a galaxy s3)