1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get a new laptop...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Randy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically I had this laptop (Toshiba) that worked perfectly fine. Nothing was noticeably wrong with it but it died. The laptop I'm on now, as a temp replacement, is a Toshiba also. My mom also uses a Toshiba. Seeing as all the laptops I've used in the past some odd years was from Toshiba, I want to try a different brand. I went to this shop and they said they'll be getting a shipment of laptops in like next week. They usually range from two hundred to four hundred and they usually get HPs, Dells, and Asus. What brand do you recommend as I know nothing, in-depth, about these brands?

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I'm a fan personally of Lenovo. I have the Ideapad Y500 and it's wonderful. Well built and powerful, and cheap for what it is. I got it on a massive sale, but would gladly have paid full price for it. Build quality is very good, being descended from IBM and all.

Stay away from HP. Those are crap. Never known anyone to have a good experience with HP.

Dell is good on the inside, but often feels very cheap on the outside. If that doesn't matter to you, take a look.

Asus and Acer both make more portable, less powerful, economy devices. I've never tried them personally but they seem to get good reactions.

Also, I would recommend you take a quick look at System76 and ZaReason. The hardware is a little more expensive but you'll save major cash with freeware.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The reason be that I only presented those three brands is because when I took my laptop into a repair shop, they have a 40$ diagnostic fee and would've charged me it if I picked up my laptop from the shop. Needless to say, I didn't pick it up. They'll only have those three brands and the price range sounded good to me (since in college). I was thinking Lenovo but as I said all they have is HPs, Asus' and Dells.

I did not know Asus were economy devices. Interesting. I also read that Asus is responsible for designing the Macbook Air 13" so it looks like Asus is good for me :grin: I just need reviews on Asus though.

#3 Randy, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lenovo isn't horrible, Asus isn't amazing, HP's aren't the very worst, and Dells are probably the best in the list, if you're not willing to spend 500+ dollars on a machine.
    Dell is reliable though. They have a wide variety of laptops, and you get what you pay for. Then again, that's just from my experiences.

5. Gallatin

I agree with John, Lenovo's are good. My family's had a few of them and they've been solid and reliable. Anyways, out of those three, I'd go with Asus. My roommate had an Asus and he never seemed to have any problems. Whatever you do, stay away from HP. I've had two HP laptops in the past four years and they've both been horrible. They each worked well for a little while, and then just seemed to encounter numerous problems. My experience was so bad that it turned me off of PCs entirely and drove me to get a Mac instead.

#5 Gallatin, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013