1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel NUC?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowMan, Jul 25, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I just ordered one of these from Amazon. By the time you put everything you need in it, it's about $550, but that's not bad for what it is. I bought these pieces:

1) NUC system
    2) 16GB RAM
    3) Wifi+Bluetooth card
    4) 128GB mSATA SSD
    5) Power cord (yes, the stupid thing lacks a power cord)

Anyone have experience with this type of thing? If it works well, I might order a few more....I can easily see where having this type of thing around would be useful.

Also, does anyone know if the NIC can PXE boot? (don't worry if you don't know what that means.....)

2. starfish

I am curious to hear how it works for you. I thought about buying one a few months ago, decided against it because it did not have a provision for an internal hard drive. I wanted to use it as an HTPC and wanted to store all of my media on it.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is it for?

4. RainbowMan

This one is going to replace my DNS and DHCP on my home network, and probably run a few VM's since it can. I'm hoping that CentOS 6 will have drivers for everything needed (Ethernet is my main concern since it's something of a new board)

If this one works out as well as I think it will, I'll probably buy another for a HTPC (I already have an Atom PC hooked up, but it's slow. This will be significantly faster than that old Atom)

Since they're basically free and REALLY small (I can easily buy 1 a month), I might buy a few more to do development work on. The only reason I don't have more physical machines is space and power. This resolves both problems.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Damn, you must have one hell of a home network setup!

Pretty small box for what it has, I just may do the same to replace my old XP media center tower.

And yes, that board supports PXE boot.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, I'm like, a super network stupid developer. Why would you want to replace your DNS?

7. starfish

I run my own DNS server. I have it caching, and also resolving names for my internal network. I have quite a few things on the network and it is nice not to have to remember IP addresses.

Are you going to go with BIND 10? I need to upgrade mine, but before I do that I want to sit down and figure out the MySQL integration. And then I want to get the IPv6 DHCP running, and then get the my IPv6 tunnel setup to terminate at the router. So then I need to figure out IPv6 subnetting. And oh noes I've fallen down the rabbit hole.

Looking at the specs it uses an Intel GigE NIC. So that means that it should support VLAN trunking. So even with 1 port I could use it as an inline intrusion prevention system. With the i3, it might even be fast enough to handle the IPS and routing.

8. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I once set up a caching DNS that redirected the queries through TOR to a Swiss DNS. I think I used Pdnsd, I would of rather used BIND but it truncates UDP queries.

@starfish
    Do you know if BIND 10 truncates UDP queries like BIND9 does?

9. RainbowMan

Define "truncates UDP queries"

I thought that if a query got truncated (for example an AXFR or something that's too big) that the query would then be retried via TCP, so it makes no difference.

Then again, that behavior depends entirely on the resolver, so I guess it somewhat does matter for dealing with broken resolvers.

10. starfish

Well I haven't seen any mention that BIND10 behaves differently with UDP, but I haven't looked either. I am interested in using a database other than BerkleyDB.

Like Rainbow man, I too think the query is retried with TCP if it is truncated.

11. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both for the explanation. I really don't have much experience in this area, all I know is BIND is pretty much de facto and I would rather use it.

12. RainbowMan

Interesting this thread was bumped. I'm not feeling well at all today, so I stayed home from work. As luck would have it, my NUC arrived today as well.

Despite almost having snot all over the innards :grin:, it is up and running. Quick PXE boot and install of CentOS 6.4 (which worked fine) and I'm off. It was incredibly easy to put together, except the standoff screws that hold down the mini-PCIe cards are microscopic! Hint: put them through the holes on the cards before you insert the card.

Now comes actually configuring it.....I don't have the energy right now :frowning2: