1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could design your own video game

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cassindra Starlight, Jul 29, 2013.

1. What would it be like? I'm sure most of us gamers have fantasized about the games we'd make if we had the skills and resources. If you had the skills and resources, what would you make? What genre is it? How would you describe the game mechanics? What are the plot, setting, and tone like? Who are the characters?

2. UndercoverGypsy

Something very stylized, like Braid or Bastion, with gameplay that's really less important than story. As for what that story is, I have no clue, but probably something with a similar theme to 1984. It would port easily to tons of different platforms, and I would make it free with paid DLCs because really that's the way to go.

Sadly, I have some of the ability to start game-deving and none of the artistic ability to make the kind of game I would want to. I'm gonna start learning UDK the moment my computer's fixed, though.

3. Donnerschlag

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like to make a fantasy themed video games. Full of magic and incantations. Exploring different worlds and exo-planets. Players can choose different class, race and starting story. I like it to be Wii-like interactive style that uses goggles so the players feel like they are inside the game. Players can also perform incantation and must say the correct chants to cast the spell. There will also be a spellbook provided at the beginning of the game for Mages and Sorceress and every instance and levels they could learn new incantations and when they make the wrong incantation the spell could backfire or malfunction. I also like the players to decide on the outcome of their story depending on the decisions they make in game. Players could form a party, slay the demons from the underworld, travel to the skies, go to different planets by flying through space.

#3 Donnerschlag, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. Here's one of mine. I quite like zombie games. I recently beat Dead Island, and I'm currently on Riptide. I want to go in a similar direction with my game, but with enough differences to make it my own.

I'll start with my zombies. The origin of them will be magical in nature, with long dead people crawling out of their graves. I'd make them reasonably quick and strong, and give them a good amount of cunning. They'd be more like predatory animals than shambling gun fodder. The zombie condition can spread to other large mammals, but this has a lower chance to suceed than with humans. Zombies are not the only thing waiting for the players, either. Witches exist, and they are hands down the most dangerous thing you can run into. They started this whole zombie business, after all.

Combat would be very visceral, with location based damage. Pretty much every hit would damage the enemy's ability to fight somehow, depending on what kind of weapon hit what body part. Firearms would be available, though how easy they are to get would depend on where in the world you are. A massive range of melee weapons would be available, both improvised and purpose built. Weapons would not be upgraded (but they could be modified), and more powerful versions of the same weapons (or different but similar weapons with better stats) would not become available at higher levels. Zombies have the ability to lure, ambush, encircle, and flank players. When overwhelmed, they don't give up the fight, but they switch to skirmishing and hit and run tactics. When they have overwhelming numbers, they will launch a wave attack. Combat should be fast paced and intense, and when exploring there should be the constant tension and fear of what could be behind the next tree.

The game would be a first/third person action/roleplaying/strategy hybrid. You'd be able to create your own character (there are a ton of outfits to unlock, by the way), and gain new perks by levelling up. The purpose of the game is to survive until all the witches have been killed, at which point the apocalypse will end. You do this by finding resources and building a sanctuary and finding and rescuing survivors to help defend your sancuary, then keeping it supplied and defended from zombies and bandits. The system for building his safe zone would be very in depth and a major part of the game. You'd have as much freedom of design as possible here, so as to be able to build something really cool. Just be careful, because you can lose your sanctuary and have to live as a nomad (very dangerous) until you can get the resources for a new one. Eventually you'd have the resources to start going after witches in the region. Once you kill them all, the game is won.

The game would start in one of the following locations, at the player's choice:

Louisiana Bayou
    Western Montana
    Alaska
    Coastal New England
    Arizona Desert
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Long Island (The bridges are blown and the boats taken by other survivors. Significantly harder than the other locations.)

The location you choose will determine what sort of supplies are available to you, as well as what the biggest threats are. Building supplies, food, water, weapons, survivors, and the like are all determined by your choice of location, and weather does effect the player. It can cause greater thirst, give you heatstroke, chill your bones, wreck fortifications, effect visibility, effect your ability to move, provide cover and concealment to yourself and enemies, and so on. Terrain greatly effects your options and challenges when building fortifications.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 03:40 AM ----------

I like the ideas of mixing magic and space and magic being able to backfire.

5. srslywtf

a fully functional universe simulation with a mind-controlled interface, so I could create any other game from within it, or do anything, anyhow!

Of course the universe would not be capable of processing a more complex version of itself, so this is not feasible unless what we refer to as the universe is actually just a piece of the actual universe.

6. Wells

Wells Guest

A mix between RPG, puzzle, simulation and fantasy (anything from fairies to zombies to deep space all that stuff).

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm learning programming and design. I have a few things in mind from a platformer to an RPG and a horror game, but I'm still trying to learn my programming and everything.

8. ScatteredEarth

I have two ideas for games. The first one being an interactive drama with a strong grasp in character development, emotion and progression. The plot would be something strong and push the envelope. Something like serial child rapists or torturers of children. (Because after all, children make for the most sensitive spot in plots that tend to really tug at the heart strings.

The second game would have to be a traditional survival horror game. With zombies, keys and all. Not any of this new fangled action shit that they call survival horror. (Yea haven't quite thought about this one)

9. robotman

It would be a mix between Kingdom Hearts 2, Batman Arkham City and God of War 3.

Seriously... sit and think about how EPIC that game would be.

10. FreeFlow9917

Well, it'd be an original game involving a intergalactic revolution against an evil dictator involving blood, gore, zombie experiments, bombs, and puzzles. So a cross of god of war, halo, gears of war, and dead space. 3 main characters involving fighting around suns in space, soaring the rings on other planets, exploring moons for equipment, and no dlc

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

Oh and exploring planets in order to weaken the main antagonist by utilizing weakness, and it'll be a helluva boss battle.

11. chrisV

a game a lot like left 4 dead, but with a lot more half naked men.

12. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The gameplay would be similar to the Zelda games, but the story, atmosphere, etc. would be darker, like Metroid. I'd combine a lot of futuristic, sci-fi elements with fantastical, natural, magical elements.

For a game I'm conceptualizing right now, there are two main characters, a male and female. The male character's basically a male Samus, but he fights using a sword that can transform into various other weapons (a lance, a bow, a whip, to name a few). And the female character's hard to describe: she looks like a Disney princess...but she's batshit insane. She has a sort of sick, twisted sense of humor, and she always makes these morbid jokes and comments while laughing sweetly and innocently. You can't really get a sense of what she's like just from reading the description. She acts as a guide to the male character (who's always confused/annoyed with her), and fights by imitating her opponent's fighting style.

The story...I write my own stories all the time, mostly for manga series I conceptualize, but with video games it's kind of hard because you have to think about how the story interacts with the gameplay. When conceptualizing a video game, I try to come up with a unique gameplay mechanism for the particular game I'm working on and then I build the story around that gameplay mechanism.

I have to think about this stuff because I'm hoping to one day become a game designer.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, do I have some game ideas. I went into game design with like 3 rock solid ideas, and developed a few more while in the class, but never got the skills to realize any of them, really. :/ I guess I could always model out some stuff, but that's about it.

My most complete idea is for a semi-realistic spacefaring action RPG/RTS game as a tie-in to my (also unfinished) novel, currently titled A Paper Castle. It lets players create a starship captain as their player character, complete with a few stats and skills, as well as starting faction if any.

Available Factions
    -------------------------------
    The first available faction will be the Entente Space Corps (ESC), the disciplined and well-equipped military which is spread thin across the colonies, but nonetheless feared. Their ships are strong with hyper-advanced tech, but costly and relatively outnumbered. The ESC's strength is focused on stationary constructions like ground bases and space stations, so attacking territory held by them is a daunting thought.

The opposing faction is known as the Free Fleet, a group of revolutionaries who escaped the perceived tyranny of the Entente and are fighting to gain a foothold in the stars. As their name implies, they have little to no presence on habitable planets, focusing their strength on highly mobile ships and deep space stations. Attacking the Fleet is likewise a tough task for the ESC, because they have come to expect a tactical retreat and counterattack when and where they least expect it.

The independent "faction" is not really an organized group, but has been categorized into one by the other forces because of its unified goal: piracy. Bringing the cosmos under rule of Entente law or Free Fleet allegiance is basically a fool's errand, which makes for a golden age of piracy against the ripe trade lanes between frontier worlds rich in resources and civilized worlds rich in currency. Pirates are free to attack whomever they want, whenever. But they are already targeted by two powerful interstellar militaries, and choosing the wrong target means at best that they have gained another enemy, and at worst that it will be a lethal encounter. Pirate forces are famously decentralized, so are found equally balanced between ground colonies and roving starships.

Gameplay
    --------------------------
    Yeah, this one's a genre dancer XD. It has RPG and tactical shooter elements like Mass Effect, yet when aboard ships, it switches to real-time strategy. The player maintains direct control of his own ship and its ability to maneuver, fire weapons, moderate particle fields, etc. When on planets, though, the player has the ability to recruit officers and crew to operate other ships built, purchased, or captured from enemies. The mid/late game may have the player commanding a sizable personal armada. With the ability to give orders to other ships, the player can coordinate massive operations like planet assaults, and once Qu.E.S.T. lines (FTL communication) are installed on a pair of ships, the player can direct them from any distance away, basically managing a cluster-spanning empire of their own.

Story
    ---------------------------
    The game's plot really hasn't been developed yet, but that's sort of the point. It's meant to be a game where the player creates the story by their own actions and objectives, and it happens to be set in the universe of my novel. I do plan for the player character to meet named characters on occasion though, and maybe fight against/alongside them.

This isn't an exhaustive list, but I feel like I might be jacking this thread by writing an entire design document in one post. :eek:

#13 Argentwing, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>I went over my edit time limit, but Starlight Darling, that supernatural zombie game sounds sick! I'd buy it, but I would recommend that you include some sort of progression curve. With no weapon upgrades etc., how would the player get a sense of advancement? The game would be in serious danger of stagnating and being a shelf-rotter.

15. I feel that, with characters being able to level up and gain perks, and an advanced fortification construction system, there would be enough advancement not to need weapon upgrades. Instead of getting a shinier claw hammer, you could learn how to use the one you already have to quickly and effeciently bust a charging zombie's kneecap. I also want each location's climate and geography to color pretty much everything, to keep players coming back for more by making each region feel different from all the others. I can't stress enough how much I want local climate and geography to matter. Perhaps that could be expansion pack/dlc fuel right there. Liked the original game? How would you like to take it to Rio? What about London? Siberia? If local law and custom were taken into account when building the scenario, it could rock if done well.

16. Stripe101

Half-Life 3. But that wouldn't really be MY game, would it?

I've always wanted some type of game that goes through the decades of film quality in each level. Like in the beginning, it's really grainy and black and white. Then, as time goes on, it gets better until it becomes color. Then it would keep going until the quality becomes modern.

That's just an idea of mine.

17. UndercoverGypsy

Heh, you might like Evoland. It's the same concept, except you go through the history of RPG games as you level up...

18. Ashen

Oh.

My.

God.

I'm wayyy too incoherent from tiredness to actually type it up right now. But I am SO bookmarking this thread with this post. I will be back with my idea for sure!

19. Abbra

My video game would essentially be a sandbox version of Earthbound. At it's core, it would be a turn based RPG. The game would be called "NPC" and would star a generic villager as he tries to find his own adventure. The main character would only have one line, "I wish I could be a hero like you." She repeats that line over and over again throughout the adventure. The NPC would have the ability to recruit other NPC's to her party. You have the choice to either follow the "hero" in story mode, or avoid it all together and just explore the world and try to find a place in it. You would also have the ability to switch between the NPCs that you recruit.

Graphically, I would want it to be very cutesy. The world is also very big, but also rather silly. I know the starting town would be in a forest filled with fireflies, but I'm kind of shakey on the other towns. The town that I want most thought would be a town based off of Thai graveworkers who live in the various graveyards in houses places in the tombs.

Humor would also have a large part of the game, mostly because I miss humorous games like Goemon and Earthbound. A lot of fourth wall breaking would happen due to the game being based around the idea that the NPC's have real lives.

20. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would have the world of Xenoblade, the gameplay of Kingdom Hearts and the emotion of Majora's Mask.