1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu or Mint?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BlueLines, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BlueLines

Whats your favorite desktop distro? :icon_bigg

2. starfish

I'm a RedHat guy, so I typically run Fedora or CentOS.

3. Stripe101

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And just when I was beginning to think I caught up on electronics.

4. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gentoo all the way.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Linux, man. Don't worry about it if you don't understand - most people don't (not that you shouldn't check it out) :grin:

As for me, I find that Ubuntu is much more suited to the average consumer, but then again, I'm a mac fanboy and the UI is pretty reminiscent... Not that Backtra - er, Kali isn't better than both.

6. SomeNights

Love fedora, heard all kinds of good things about red hat.....and i dont mean to offend anyone but CentOS can go crawl in a hole and die. That operating system has single handedly left me with many sleepless nights and nothing but headaches and countless hours trying to figure out what the heck went wrong. All of this is ironic too, because fedora is supposed to be the buggiest out of the 3. Granted this just my view from having 3 boxes running for a year before they got converted to FreeBSD

Anyway to the op I've never worked with mint, but have had marginal successes with Ubuntu.

7. RainbowMan

Again, Fedora/CentOS all the way. Sorry SomeNights, but CentOS/RHEL (which it is an exact clone of) is what any respectable company runs on their servers, so better get used to it :grin:

Fedora for a desktop distro, CentOS for a server. From my new toy:

@nuc ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

8. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use Xubuntu :slight_smile:

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I'm concerned, there is relatively little difference between Mint and Ubuntu. The regular Mint is based on Ubuntu. There are undoubtedly differences--for example, Mint does have versions with multimedia codecs included on the DVD ISO--but they seem much more alike than different.

I've used both Ubuntu and Mint, and been happy. I was quite happy with Ubuntu 10.04, and only dumped it because support ended. I went to Mint 13 at that point--newer versions of Ubuntu are too slow on this computer. (Pentium 4.) Mint is not exactly a speed demon, but it runs smoothly most of the time. Much more so than the equivalent Ubuntu release did.

I've also been known to use plain Debian on challenging hardware. When I was still bravely making due with a PIII two years ago, I found that Debian was about the last distro which installed correctly, worked properly, and ran with tolerable speed. Debian is also about the last viable distro for PowerPC chip systems (for a while, my best Internet machine was a PowerMac running MintPPC).

I am not married to Debian or its various offspring (including Ubuntu or Mint. As the joke went: Ubuntu is African for "I can't configure Debian!"). But it happens to be where I'm at today.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 09:11 AM ----------

Yes, both are Linux distros. Their websites:
    Ubuntu
    Linux Mint

10. SomeNights

Nah, DFAS up until sun got bought out was running Solaris and I'd respect any company that used FreeBSD or OpenBSD

11. enigmeow

I loved ubuntu when it was just a pretty debian. Now I think they have really cluttered it up. I don't have a "love" now

12. BlueLines

I understand that Ubuntu and Mint are basically the same, I was more or less asking what desktop distro people used. I personally use Ubuntu now. I was thinking about switching to mint because I thought the concept of Cinnamon was cool. Sorry about not being very specific.

13. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I used to run Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 before I moved to Windows 7 exclusively for a while. I recently moved back because my university requires that we use Linux and I was getting a bit bored of Windows so I thought I'd get back to getting my nerd on. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To be honest, I'm not a fan of Ubuntu now, especially with Unity. It's not that I hate it, I just feel that the interface is a bit restrictive, especially when you work with multiple windows at once, which is what I do. I also gave Kubuntu a shot, but I never liked KDE and still don't. So I gave Cinnamon and Linux Mint 15 a shot and I'm currently running it now.

To be honest, I like Cinnamon a lot. It's got one or two minor issues, but it's still new so I will give it some time to fix. But otherwise it suites me fine.

The university computers (at least the ones reserved for computer scientists) run Debian with LXDE. I'm considering throwing Lubuntu on a laptop that I may be buying soon.

14. starfish

You do realize that CentOS is exactly the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux. As I tell people it is bug for bug compatible with RHEL.

Red Hat releases their source and it CentOS is compiled from it. Oracle Enterprise Linux and Scientific Linux do the same.

At a previous job I had some OpenBSD systems that I was running as NAT routers.

15. SomeNights

yup...the difference being with redhat you also have a phone number and support team.

Like I said, I've never used a Red Hat branded OS, but CentOS had quite a few issues.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely recomment Linux Mint for people new to the game. I used to respect Ubuntu, but now they've made some deals with Amazon and they peddle you shit, and you have to turn it off yourself. (Not sure if they backed down from that position or not, but that's why I originally left.)

I'm an Arch Linux user now.

Code:
    uname -a
    Linux chivalry 3.10.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 29 08:09:31 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux