1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refurbished Laptops vs. New Laptops

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bolin, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Bolin

Okay, so... as some of you may already know, my old desktop that I used has finally gone kaput permanently, so I need another computer. I've decided my next computer will be a laptop (specifically the one of the Acer Aspire models), but here's the catch. My job does not pay well, and the hours are kinda terrible (they've even cut hours this week...), so I have to save money for quite awhile before I'm able to afford one. Recent events have made it quite necessary for me to regularly be in contact with EC and some of my online friends since my home life has kinda gone way downhill in the past couple of months, so I'd MUCH rather have a laptop sooner rather than later. There's a particular seller on eBay that auctions off refurbished laptops pretty cheaply (among many other things), and my sister has bought many electronic things from this seller before with no problems (she bought a BluRay player and a couple of other electronic things, I believe). I've also read customer testimonials and feel comfortable purchasing from this seller, so this isn't a question about the seller.

I know that refurbished laptops are usually laptops that had problems before but have been repaired to working order (like new, in most cases), but I'm wondering if I should just wait until I have an extra couple of hundred dollars for a new one. Like I said before, I'd reeeally much rather have a laptop sooner rather than later since my homelife is shit and all my support is online, and I do plan on buying an all-in-one desktop (new, not refurbished) once I get a better job, which will hopefully be soon. Are there any problems, major or minor, that I could run into by buying a refurbished computer?

Thanks very much!

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't speak about the reconditioned Acers.

But I will say I have heard of people who have been happy with refurbished laptops, and gotten good service out of them. Although they are more expensive than Acer (Apple comes to mind).

Acer has one possible weakness--given the pricing, I doubt it's a super durable investment. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out on those grounds--I could imagine buying one of their netbooks if I ever take a vacation and want a laptop to take with me--but it's something to factor in when making a buying decision.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Past reconditioned Acers, there is a possibility of something used. This has pitfalls--one does not want to buy another person's problems. Software support can also be a problem--a used XP machine might be very cheap, but it will have less than a year of OS support left. (Linux, of course, can work around that, although it may not be a solution many people would want to deal with.) But there are good buys to be found sometimes. A business grade computer that is new enough to be usable, and was treated reasonably well, could have years of use ahead.

Desktops are where the better used deals can be found--at least in my experience. I'd like a laptop, but have never found a good enough deal. I've spent even under 10 dollars for a generic PC and gotten something that gave good service.

Laptops are more expensive used, and often there is a risk of them being used/abused to a point where they have almost zero usuable life. But some people have lucked out with a well-built machine that is cheap and had a good, easy life.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I've bought tons of refurb products for work. (I work in IT) and I've never had any issues .you can't tell that they were ever used. I would recommend the refurb products to save yourself some dough.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just got my refurbished Asus today. Got it off NewEgg for $279.99 + free tax + free shipping. I strongly recommend refurbished as opposed to new, espcially if you're in a cash crunch. However, I heavily do NOT recommend Acer products.

5. PeterPie

I agree. Acer products are dreadful... My brother and Step dad bought one, they both now have overheating issues due to poor fan placement and lack of ventilation... Stupid acer. *kick*:tantrum:

6. srslywtf

If you want a cheap but good quality laptop I can recommend Lenovo,
    they handle their own manufacturing so it's not contracted out to someone that doesnt give a crap like in most cases.

Although if you need alot of help with computers they may not be a good choice because they're chinese and so their english language is not great.

7. josh9623

I am on my second laptop, Both were refurbished. My first one was an Acer Aspire 5315, it literally ended up falling apart. I also went through like twenty power cords because they went right by the exhaust and were fried.

I now have a refurbished Apple Macbook 7,1 and aside from needing a new fan it runs pretty well and pretty much all of my problems have been taken care of regardless of warranty (except the fan) but it is a few years old and the issue I have with the fan is the bearing is worn so if the fan gets off balance it sounds like a weed-eater. But I would still recommend it

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, AcER is terrible.
    AsUS is amazing. think of it this way: ER = the Emergency Room, which is where you don't want your computer to be in. US = us or (for the patriotic) United States. Or Universal System. See, it's so great it's got 3 positive comparisons.

Refurbished Asus, Toshiba or HP are all great.

9. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Go to the dell outlet store and look at the optiplex and inspiron lineup.

10. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

i know from experience, and knowing somethings about computers, that refurbished is a good one. there is nothing wrong with them, sometimes they dont work coming out of the box, so they get sent back and fixed, usually they are worth buying because of it. I've bought some acer tablets that way, and have scored big on them.

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have bought many refurbished electronics, and for me, they're either hit or miss. The majority have worked perfectly fine though. I personally wouldn't trust a refurb acer, but that's just me. I doubt you'll have any problems with it.

12. pippi

I am about to have to replace my Lenovo. Thank goodness it was cheap! I've only had it for two years, but its already wearing out. I am on my computer all the time though. But anyway, its breaking at the hinges, so I know it won't last much longer. I didn't get any of the extended warranty, etc because I figured if I could get it to last three years ,then I would have felt I got my money's worth. That being said, its been two years and about to go kaput!

I was thinking of possibly a Samsung or Asus. Do any of you recommend one over the other? I really want a Mac, but do to finances, can't afford to even entertain that idea right now. Maybe in the future some time. I've also never bought a refurbished computer, but have been seriously thinking of doing so, to save money. Also, does Best Buy sell refurbished? A little afraid to go that route, but it seems like people who do buy refurbished, don't have any issues.

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Samsung and Asus are both reputable manufacturers. I've never had a Samsung laptop (so I can't speak for them, although their other products are quite nice and reliable). I'm on my Asus laptop right now and I currently have no complaints. When I was in high school, I used an Asus Netbook and I enjoyed using that also. If you're looking for cheapness, refurbished is definitely the way to go! If I got this (ASUS X501A) new, I would've spent $460 but refurbished it was $280. So...yea, refurbished > new, since you're in a cash crunch! They do sell refurbished at best buy, but their refurbished stock is VERY limited. If you're in the US, I would check Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

EDIT: I read somewhere that ASUS took part in designing the Macbook Air 13" build/shell ... so that is what sold me on ASUS and I'm glad it did :slight_smile:

#13 Randy, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. Bolin

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I think I will see about switching to an Asus laptop. I do remember my sister saying something about her Acer having an overheating problem.