1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europa Universali, anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jameson, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Jameson

Europa Universalis III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Love this game so much! It's sort of an empire building game crossed with the ability to construct alternate timelines.

Pics after spoilers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, can someone edit the title, says "Europa Universali" it needs an "s" at the end :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#1 Jameson, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Porphyrogenitus

It's one of those games I kinda love, but kinda don't. Starting as a one-province minor, building up to a large power by whatever means (military, colonising, trade, etc)... that part's awesome. And the detail... and the actual difficulty and in-built controls on behaving like a war-monger or crazy megalomaniac... the gameplay is brilliant.

The problem is I like to make one game and stick with it for a long time... and, assuming you succeed, it tends to become both too easy to beat the AI, and too annoying to keep up with the minutiae of a massive empire. You know, upgrading provinces, putting down the revolts every five seconds. It's something you have to play for shorter time periods in a lot of games, and that just kinda jars with me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not a real problem with the game itself, though.

Also! Idk what's with your super-coincidental timing, since you didn't mention it... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but Europa Universalis IV is due to be released in, like, a week XD . It's very much the same concept, but with updated gameplay and new features (like, unique ideas for each nation, etc).

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I love it! Im currently trying to build an super duper tecnology advanced ming nation, with i do by liberating into vassails the 3 countries that compose the huge ming empire, leaving me with only one province and half the income from my 3 vassals and later every other nation. Turn into vassals(the more provinces the slower technology advances, so the ideal for advincing fast is having fewer countries and those countries being as rich as possible).

4. Harve

Loving the 'Schottland' domination and Irish and Cornish independence on your second game. Paradox are awesome.

5. Safekeeping

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Europa Universalis II is one of my all time favorites. I have EU3 as well, but I never got into it as much. While the gameplay was improved, I felt it was lacking the absurd amount of historical events and details that II had. Plus, I missed the old medieval music.

6. DarkClarity

*Sigh* This game looks great. I wish I had a gaming laptop. :frowning2:

7. Harve

It's not particularly demanding actually! I think if you add expansions, especially the fourth one, it actually gets faster.

8. Jameson

So I have these two screencaps of two separate games I've played:

Images after spoiler

Here's when I played as England/GB. I won a series of wars against France, as well as a large war against Scotland later down the line. I was allied with Austria and Castille/Spain.
    [​IMG]

Here's my current playthrough as Austrian Empire. As of around 1620, Austria owns much of the Balkans, as well as Brandenburger land and French lands as well. The King of Aragon and the Queen of GB are both Habsburg monarchs, just as the Kaiser of Austria. The Kaiser also served as the Holy Roman Emperor from the second half of the 16th century to the early years of the 1600s.
    [​IMG]

What about your guys' empires? Post any screencaps you guys have. You can take an in game screenshot by pressing F11, and you can take an MS Paint photo by pressing F12. Pressing shift + F12 captures your country and your vassals only.

9. Aquilo

I can't wait to play EU4. The developers have said that there won't be such weird borders compared to EU3 (Where for instance England took small bits of Finland, Turkey and other madness). And maybe it'll be a bigger challange to survive, instead of map painting. : )

I started this game as Holland and became India. I've been in near constant war since the 1480's, before that I had to wait until Gujarat became the dominant culture so I could form India. My goal is to have complete dominion over the Indian Ocean. I've had to fight Portugal and England because they colonized some islands I wanted. Now there are only a few small SE Asian countries left to conquer until I can finally have peace (They ruin my aesthetically pleasing borders).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Aquilo

A demo for EU4 has just been released on steam for anyone who's interested. : )

11. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

How the hell did you do all that before the 1600's? Skills haha.

Played it but it just seems like EU3 but with better graphics.

I love this game, just done a game with Milan and then Italy. I would post a pic of it but don't know how to post it from Steam.

12. Aquilo

There are basically 3 ways for extremely fast expansion in this game:
    -Colonization.
    -Forcing a Personal union (Your monarch rules your and another nation) on every nation that's possible (By claiming thrones and fabricating claims on same religion-group nations).
    -Only have holy wars against heathens before 1650 if possible (Only +1 infamy/province, so you can get ~350 provinces in 250 years with good advisors.

I used 1 and 3 in that game.

Trade is more fun in EU4 than EU3 I think, once you begin to understand it. For the rest it feels quite the same, but slightly improved.

I wouldn't know either how to post them from Steam. What I do is:
    -Save screenshot on computer
    -Edit with paint.net (can be downloaded for free): resize to 1024x?, and save in .jpg
    -Upload on imgur (also free service).
    -Go to image details on imgur and copy BBCode
    -Paste code on forum to post your image

13. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Thanks for your help, it worked :slight_smile:.

Here's my Italy game, not as good as what you did but im getting there haha. I cant go north much because of the constant French-Austrian alliance and Aragon and Burgundy always attacking me when ever I go to war with someone else. Sweden have been a pain as well.

[​IMG]

#13 JackAttack, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  14. Wells

Wells Guest

Hmmm... Not my kind of game, although I have to admit it looks fun to some extent.

15. Hun

Hun

[​IMG]
    Just imported my CK2 game into EU:IV. Reformed Suomenusko faith and everything!

16. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Recently brought EU4 and I was wrong, the game is far better than EU3. I like the idea of coalitions, which helps to stop blobbing and I like the new tech and building system. Im currently playing as Bavaria but struggling to expand because of Austria, Bohemia and a coalition of smaller German states attacking me when they get the chance. That world conquest achievement looks impossible to get.

17. Blackie

Blackie Guest

Both games are much more fun in multiplayer and that's the biggest advantage of Eu4 to me, it's so much easier to join a multiplayer game and if you crash or de-sync you can just hotjoin back in.