1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with griefers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cassindra Starlight, Aug 14, 2013.

1. I've been a gamer for a long time, but I just started online multiplayer. My chosen game was Left 4 Dead 1. I prefer coop games over competitions when I'm doing splitscreen, so I thought Left 4 Dead's campaign mode would be perfect for me. I joined my first match on normal difficulty (what I use offline), spawned inside the safe house, and was quickly killed by another player, who then killed the bots controlling the other two characters. We all respawned, and this happened again. I left the match and joined another. This time we played for a few minutes, then the guy playing Bill threw a molotov at me and all three other players ran away. I got ambushed by a hunter before I could decide how to react. I joined another match, and ran into another player who wanted to teamkill everyone. I finally found a different game that went fairly well until we all got split up somehow and three of us got picked off by special infected while the last guy ran and hid.

I don't get it. It seems like the game is dominated by people who like to be dicks to everyone else. Other than the last game, I got griefed every time I logged into a match. I guess I don't really have a question or a point here. Just need to vent some anger.

2. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Aw, fun times!

I think griefing is a mix of people having too much time on their hands (that they feel they have to waste everybody else's) and poor moderation. Many online games have some form of penalty for griefing, but those that don't usually have griefing problems. Playing with friends can help.

I play a lot of Dota and sometimes the people are just awful.

3. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too many times have I been about to win an online Pokemon battle when my opponent shuts off their DS in rage, meaning my W/L ratio gets messed up. Ugh.

4. Hefiel

Considering L4D1 has been around for a while, it's not all that surprising that was is left of the online playerbase may not be the "nicest" players. There will be griefers in any online game however, but yeah, it can be annoying. Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestion on how to avoid it or what to do, I don't really play co-op games except for a few that are also competitive and have means to report players acting like pricks.

5. Wells

Wells Guest

I can never understand griefers... Bad losers?

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the case of L4D, it's easier to get a quick laugh by being a douche than to work as a team, delay gratification, and make it through. I just hope that if there is a real zombie apocalypse, the internet trolls get bitten first so we can shoot them in delicious just desserts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what you consider a griefer to be...I mean some people would call you a griefer for using a knife in a CoD gun game match, which simply is just fun.

But in my experience griefers just enjoy getting kicked and then complaining about it like the world owes them something. bored teenagers!

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those people are wrong. :slight_smile: The knife was a feature intentionally added to the game to make fighting more diverse*. The ability to friendly-fire kill teammates in L4D is supposed to add fire discipline to the skills you need to be good, not so that you can be a dick.

*On the other side of the coin, it is really unrealistic. There is no reason at all to bring a knife to a gunfight in the way that CoD soldiers do it. However, the combat in that game is so hellishly fast and superficial, making a realistic combat knife would be stupid. The devs pretty much HAD to make it an insta-kill melee weapon for it to make sense.

9. Sarcastic Luck

When it comes to L4D/L$d2, sometimes, you get a string of crappy players. I.e Those who don't know the meaning of teamwork and run ahead, which ultimately causes the rest of the team to get fucked over. At that point, it's just easier to kill them until they rage quit.

In one instance, a friend and I were playing and we kept getting shitty players over and over. Finally, we said 'to hell with it', and just purposely started the other teammates. After an hour and a half of dealing with idiocy, it felt good.

10. I have learned to dislike those who run ahead of the team as well. It's gotten me killed a few times now.

11. Jonathan

Tell me about it. Sometimes you get griefers and sometimes you get douches. Earlier today I was playing l4d2 and at one point one of our people got smoked like ten feet behind us. So I immediately turned around and went to save them. I guess when I was halfway there, my other teammate who I just left got pounced. So I saved the smoked one, then I went back and saved the pounced one (by this point he was almost dead). He completely freaked out. He started yelling that I should have come to save him first and blah blah blah and then he actually called a team vote to try to kick me (naturally the other person said no). It was just so funny because even the infected team was saying that him getting caught was all his fault and he should thank me for saving him.

When he refused to stop freaking out I told him that I learned my lesson and that next time I wouldn't save him at all :slight_smile: .

Some of the people who play these games are just so annoying.