1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Into Gaming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KazTastic, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KazTastic

Hi,

While I know quite a bit about gaming culture, I'm not that much of a gamer. I've tried getting into it with a number of different genres, but I've never been able to catch on.

My hand-eye coordination and reflexes are craptastic at best, but then again, it's just a matter of practicing until I get good.

How should I get into gaming? What should I start with? How do I stop myself from giving up?

Sorry if this question seems a bit too general, but I feel like I'm the only person in my circle of friends who doesn't game...

Thank you

2. LD579

It really depends on what type of gaming it is. There's things like League of Legends (PC gaming, and such, I suppose), MMORPGs, fighting games (Such as Street Fighter or Guilty Gear), shooting games (First person or third person ones, typically, also includes on-rails ones), RPGs... Those are 'types' of games that people can amass around, and I'm sure I've missed quite a few other ones.

For most of these, it really just takes practice and time and effort. For some, it's not worth all that energy. For others, it's a big hobby which is quite important to them.

RPGs are pretty tame in terms of time investment. There can be a large learning curve in shooting games, and an extremely high learning curve in fighting games. I'm not so sure about things like League of Legends or shooting games, as that's not my strength in gaming.

All in all, I really think you should just go with whatever games you like! Experiment and see what tickles your fancy. If a game looks fun or cool, it wouldn't hurt to look up some things about it and see if you'd be willing to try it out. You should be able to find something — and if not, that's okay, too. =)

3. Praetor

The biggest factor in gaming is what interests you. I prefer games that involve thinking or games that tell a story, so I often steer towards adventure games, RPGs, and strategy. I still do play some shooters and stealth, however.

Another question to pose yourself is what medium do you wish to play. Do you prefer console gaming, or computer gaming? When I was a kid, I preferred playing on consoles. Now, I play on a PC I built for myself. PC gaming can have a more expensive startup due to computers being more expensive, but you can do way more with a computer than you ever could with a console. Some games are exclusive to the PC, especially strategy games and adventure game titles.

Since you mention your coordination level being a factor, the genres I'd recommend would be turn-based strategy, adventure, and simulation/city building since they usually aren't time-sensitive to inputs as first-person shooters.

I could really go on and on and list suggestions, so if you wonder anything more, you can PM me, post on my wall, or just look at IGN's top 100 games of all time for inspiration.

4. KazTastic

I have some experience with JRPGs (one of my friends is a massive fan of retro Squaresoft titles, so I have had a go of them), so it might be easier to start off with them, though I'm not sure about MMOs - I'd feel like I'd be aimlessly wandering around (though I would feel the same with most games, which is why I've previously given up on gaming).

I also played around with Minecraft, and it was alright, though that wandering around feeling crept in.

I was horrible at playing TTT (a Garry's Mod game mode), but that was mainly because I hadn't played a shooter before.

I'm assuming that I would start with a console, and then switch to PC gaming once I get the hang of it. Is it worth buying a current gen console, or should I wait for the PS4/XB1?

5. KingdomKeyDK

For anyone who wants to game, start out small. You want to start with something that makes you think. Perhaps an RPG. With these, you have to be able to try and fight enemies with weapons and materials that you choose to use. Start out with Final Fantasy or something of that sort. It will make you decide whether or not to, for example, level up before fighting an enemy. I also had started out with RPGs. They make you think more and make better decisions in the gaming world. After playing an RPG, you can play about anything in my opinion. A good RPG is either Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts I think.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well first of all that depends on how much $$$ you're willing to throw around. PS4 will cost around $400 on launch and XBone $500 if I remember correctly. Another thing to consider is since those consoles are just getting started they will have a very limited selection of games to choose from on release. So if you're looking to sample a bunch of different titles spanning genres to find what you like most I'd advise against buying a next gen console. I'd consider myself something like a hardcore gamer and personally I'll likely wait at least a year or two before I go for PS4. reason being by then it'll have a more extensive library and possibly a slight drop in price. Of course that's more of a big deal for me than some since I never have any money <_<

For PS3 and 360, you've got 5-6 years worth of games to explore ranging in all sorts of prices. If you're willing to buy pre-owned you may save alot of money and still be able to build yourself a large collection. Never hurts to check out trailers or gameplay videos on Youtube or elsewhere to build a general idea of if a game interests you or not before buying it. AS for the consoles themselves, they're essentially the same but with slight differences that mostly appeal to personal preference. Controllers for instance have the same layout but one may feel more comfortable than the other depending on the type of games you play more. Otherwise the main thing is if you want to pay for online. Xbox live requires monthly subscriptions while Playstation Network on the other hand is free. Finally certian games are console specific so you may want to check if more PS3 or 360 exclusives appeal to you before buying one.

Oh yeah, dont forget about Nintendo Wii/Wii U either. While it might seem off putting cause of all the motion sensor stuff it's a definite competitor in the console race with some really strong first party titles and exclusives but it's not for everyone. Alternatively there's handhelds and PC of course which I am definitely not the guy to go to for advice about :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to start with JRPGs, choose the Wii U or the PS3/PS4. They have a lot of great titles and there are interesting games coming out for both of them. I wouldn't buy Xbox 360/Xbone since it's biggest exclusives are shooters. If you want handheld gaming, stick with the 3DS.

8. Abbra

I would suggest maybe starting with a 3DS and then working towards getting the new big consoles when they come out. I think hand helds are a great start, as the games are cheaper, and have pretty much every genre. That way, you can try out a lot of things and find out what exactly you want, without spending a ton of money on just one game.

After you find out what you like, then you can decide which big console is right for you. I would honestly suggest the PS4, since it currently has the bigget array of games, and the Xbone is currently having a bout of bad publicity, so it would be better to wait and see if it is going to be able to make it. The Wii U is fun, and Nintendo is my personal favorite, but I would wait for it to get more titles before putting money down for it.

9. Kyllani

Think long and hard about what kind of system you want to buy. Consoles are cheaper, but PC has better upgrade-ability. Also, you should decide what kind of gaming you think you would have an easier time learning on. Playing on a console and computer are two completely different learning curves, especially for someone new to gaming.

If you decide to go with PC, I would suggest an RPG to start out. They seem to be the easiest to learn on. You could also check out family type games(strategy, time management, puzzle, hidden object, etc) like they have on Big Fish or similar places. All those usually require are a mouse. They were my first step into the gaming world, then I moved on to RPGs and progressed further into the world. I would stay away from shooters and actions games. Games like DOTA are fun and fairly easy to pick up, but the community is terrible and it's hard to play with others when you are new because of that.

If you'd rather go for console...well, I'm not as versed on consoles. I've only been learning to use a controller for the past few weeks. I've always just been a button masher, but that's the good thing about consoles...if you get a fighting game like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc...it's pretty easy to just press buttons and figure out combos that way. Racing games are a lot of fun, and some of them seem to be okay. I would suggest Need for Speed. It's very arcade and not as physics dependent, so it's easier.

10. Ticklish Fish

I used to play some MMORPG (swordies, magicians, archers, etc.) before school gets hectic.

now I just play flash games (some are actually really good)

11. Hefiel

One game in particular that I like to suggest is Portal (and Portal 2). It's a first-person puzzle-platform game that is really fun to play, and the game eases you through the many different gimmicks as you play.

Could be a bit hard at first if you're not used to gaming, but it's definitely one of the "Must Play" that should be on every person's list. Portal 2 is a really awesome sequel as well, not required to have played Portal 1 to play, but it's nice to have played both.

[YOUTUBE]TluRVBhmf8w[/YOUTUBE]

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Portal is an instant classic.

13. Stripe101

I don't care how.

I don't care when.

I don't care if you don't want to.

You must play Shadow of The Colossus.

14. Jakey945

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Its pretty funny you have almost the opposite problem of me. I get too into games and have to regulate myself so that I don't miss out on other things. Normally I would say that gamers are very competitive people who play the game to get good, compete, and kick ass (well this is how it is for me). If you don't have that competitive drive then I guess it's a bit difficult for you to be consistent with most games. However there are some games that are not competitive at all and maybe you should look into what kind of games suit your personality best and roll with it. Gaming should always be fun (unless if you are some sort of professional gamer) or else there really isn't a point to it.