Silent Hill 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Data, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

So I was playing some Silent Hill 2 recently and I was thinking about Pyramid Head again. Now, Pyramid Head is my FAVORITE character ever, amen. He is just awesome. I kinda have a helmet fetish, or a hidden face fetish. Anyway, he is kind of a sex symbol in the game because he represents James' sexual desires AND his willingness to be punished for them and the wrong that he did. The newer incarnation of PH from Home Coming is so sexy. :lol:

There are lots of theories about the characters, monsters and even Silent Hill in general.

What do you believe about the different questionable elements of the story?

For example, I believe that Silent Hill is in James' head. I think that Maria is made SPECIFICALLY to torture James through the whole thing. I think Pyramid Head IS James and that PH's multiple attacks on James and the multiple killings of Maria are specifically intended to point out how much James needs to be punished. The fact that a second PH is created after James kill Eddie is what brings me to that conclusion. When you first see PH and James is looking through the bars in the hallway, it's almost like James is looking in a mirror.

I think the tortured patient and evil nurses are self explanatory.

Anyway, what do YOU believe about Silent Hill and all the Silent Hill monsters? Feel free to expand into other Silent Hills if you'd like.

2. Wells

Wells Guest

I dont know what it is but I think I might try silent hill

3. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm playing that right now too.

It is a very complex game, but most of the monsters I feel are just perversions of James' psychological state but only simple manifestations. I like how they all actually mean something instead of just being random crap like in the later games.

I don't think Silent Hill is in James' head, I think it's an actual place, but the way he perceives it seems to be in his head.

It's obvious that Angela and Laura both feel Silent Hill in different ways: Laura sees it as an innocent town, and Angela I think feels like she's being burnt all the time.

:slight_smile: If only I could go to my own Silent Hill, however scary.

4. Data

Data Guest

I also love how the monster represent something. Everything in that game is either a motif or a symbol and I just love it!

I see what you mean that you think SH is a real town. I just say it's all in his head because of the way things change on a dime. "There was a hole here, it's gone now."

The fact that Eddie and the little girl don't seem to be extremely freaked out by the monsters is very puzzling. If I went to a town and saw the monsters running around, I'd have a psychotic episode...

It's such a good game!!!

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always thought Silent Hill was a place where your inner demons come to life, but they come to life as a symbolic way.

Like in SH 2, my favorite BTW, A lot has to do with sickness and broken bodies, since it was the events of his Wife's death and he was battling with. The broken mannequins, the twisted nurses.

6. Data

Data Guest

Yup, I agree. The tortured patients and the evil nurses that reside in the hospital remind James of the time he spent with Mary in the hospital as she died from her illness. The mannequins I believe are also a sex symbol as well as a broken body symbol because they are the bottom half of two women model mannequins. They kinda represent James' sexual frustration I think. He couldn't have sex with the woman he loved because she was so sick.

That's why I think Pyramid Head IS James. Pyramid Head goes around raping the monsters (signifying James' sexual frustration), killing Maria (James' act of killing Mary) and trying to kill James whenever the two meet. James WANTS to be punished for what he did, and PH obliges him. At the end James says to the two PHs that killed Maria "I was weak. That's why I needed you." which kinda confirms the idea that the PHs are there to torture James and make him pay for his deeds.

In Silent Hill:Homecoming the PH ending is only received if you make all the choices that make people suffer. You don't kill the mom, you don't kill the dad, you don't help the guy, and in the end two Pyramid Heads change Alex into one of them. They each hold half of the helmet and assemble it around Alex's head. At that point Alex turns into a PH and screams as he gets up out of the chair. If you pay close attention it appears that the helmet is lined with huge spike.:eek: The helmet might actually be a form of punishment for the punisher...

7. RoguesWolfe

You know I've only gotten to play one silent hill game......but never that one game again I'd go for anything else...but that one. After I stopped playing it I would hear the music play when the system was indeed off, creeped me out, did that for a week. But I'd like to at least finish one game. Where would be good to start?