1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random computers on our PRIVATE network

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MtnFr3sh, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, our wifi is U-verse, with a pasword lock on it that's really just a bunch of random numbers that I have to read off if we get something new or we have people over. During the day, when I'm browsing my files, I'll notice a couple of computers on out network.

Under the network window, it will show our usual things connected to out wifi, my computer, my mom's computer, my Wii, and my kindle... nothing else, so it's kind of strange seeing random devices with random names on our wifi...

So, how can I kick them off of our network?

Or see if it actually is one of our devices,,,

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure they're not IP addresses that change? Because it's not like a computer always has the same IP address.

3. Are you sure it's not a mobile device like a cell phone or an ipod? If you're using a wireless router, there is usually information on the bottom of the router for you to log into the wireless settings (you can also reset the password to a different string of letters/numbers). Key words or phrases are things like routerlogin.net or 192.169.0.X. Typically you just enter the address in a web browser, enter the password there, and mess with the settings.

If you majorly mess something up, you can use a hard reset button on the router by pressing a small hole with a pin/paper clip, but that'll erase all your settings, including passwords, so anybody can go on your network at that point.

4. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Its the computer's name that's showing up, one is IBUYPOWER-RIG

5. monotone

6. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Or how could I find their IP and send them a message on my computer asking why the fuck are they on our network? And possibly ban their IP

7. monotone

If you log into the router as described in the link above, you should be able to find the IP addresses and MAC addresses of all computers on the network.

If your router runs DHCP, and it probably does, the IP addresses of each device will change over time. However, the MAC address will remain the same.

8. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, I tried it but the computer isn't showing up on the list... I'm running a full virus scan with my security system, already found a trojan that was high risk

9. monotone

You should check it again when you see these foreign computers on the network.

Change the wifi password after your antivirus has finished scanning the computer. Ideally, you should reformat your computer to get rid of all possible viruses, if it's not too much of a hassle.

10. Just Jess

I agree with monotone, MAC addresses are the way to go. It's buried usually, but there should be an option somewhere called "MAC address filter" where you can say what computers are allowed to use your network.

Any of your game consoles should have an option to find your mac address in their internet setup. Most tablets have this info under a section called "device info". If you're on a windows computer, do this

Win + r
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

Then look for a line that touches the left edge that starts out "Wireless LAN adapter", and look under that for where it says "Physical Address".

Once you have all your mac addresses, put 'em all in your router and turn MAC address filtering on. Then no one gets in without your say-so.

11. Stripe101

You shouldn't network you're computers. The Cylons will take over.