1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Gaming and Internet

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wells, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Wells

Wells Guest

Okay, I know there are some techy people here, and some heavy gamers too so how much internet does online gaming (as in PS3, not like farmville) use? So how many GB or MB or whatever?

2. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A 10 or 15mbps connection would be optimal for the ps3 and if you want to connect another devices at the same time. You could go low as 5 but it may be choppy at times and no one likes laggers :icon_bigg.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

If it helps I have 5GB of internet a month.

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should be ok if your not using internet on different devices.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

Do you know if that how much data you get per month or your connection speed? Because 5gb of allowance per month would not be close enough to what the ps3 needs. 5mbps would just be enough for connection speed.

#4 Cap’nSerious, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  5. Wells

Wells Guest

:grin: thanks i think I'll check it out first. play for an hour then see how much has gone :slight_smile:

6. RainbowMan

It seems that 5GB of data per month you might be referring to something like a cell phone hotspot type thing? (maybe from Clear, Sprint, Verizon, or someone like that?).

If so, there's almost no way that's going to provide sufficient, reliable bandwidth for gaming.

7. Wells

Wells Guest

Really? Well it's a mobile Wi-Fi thingy by a company called Three, quite well-known in England. Looks like i need to ask my mum for unlimited then :grin:

8. Sarcastic Luck

Lol. I do just fine on 0.268 MB/s. Played Dead Space 3 and was on Skype at the same time, no issues.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    5GB doesn't mean too much when talking about internet connections. What you should be interested in is bandwidth, measured in some amount of data per second. An old school dial-up connection is 56kb/s, if I remember correctly, which is pretty small. It's like trying to drink through a coffee stirrer. More current cable or fiber-optic connections get 32Mb/s or more, which is good for online gaming.

I'm not exactly a tech guru, but I think that's the gist of it. :wink:

10. Harve

He means the data allowance in the contract (maybe most contracts in the US are unlimited? idk), not the actual speed. If you go over 5GB, you get charged extra or the internet simply can cut out. But yeah, 5GB per month wouldn't give you too many hours at all.

11. Sarcastic Luck

Nope. You'll use it up pretty quickly. When it comes to gaming, 5 gigs is nothing.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, online gaming and data caps don't get along even a little bit. I was discounting that possibility for this very reason. Sorry to say that playing online with that sort of setup isn't a very realistic idea.

13. Ridiculous

Contrary to what others have said, gaming online takes very little data. 10 - 20 KBps is about what you can expect, and this only adds up to less than 50-70MB an hour, or about 70 hours on a 5GB plan if you do nothing else. The only thing that you are downloading and uploading when you are playing are a handful of numbers saying where you are and where other people and what they are doing - it is barely anything. A lot of the time it is significantly less than this, especially if you are only playing with one or two other people (I've looked when playing and often it is less than 1 KBps).

For comparison, 70MB is about 10 minutes of watching YouTube at medium quality (480p).

What takes up the data is getting the game in the first place - you won't be able to get a lot with the 5GB if you are downloading them. However if you are playing off a disc or already have the game this isn't a problem.

How responsive and laggy it is might be a problem on a mobile Internet connection though. The sustained download/upload speeds may be okay but for gaming you need very quick turnaround between when you input a command and when the server sends back a response - you'll have to just try and see how well it works.

14. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are correct :slight_smile:

I always think you need you need the same for HD Video which requires a lot more ;p