1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question about dating apps

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ticklish Fish, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

I'm not sure where to put this in ._.

So, not naming names, I just want to ask, for people who have experiences with those, is there a difference between phone app and online sites? Do I have to pay for internet service before using phone app? (Serious question lol).

Also, what do people mean when they say "looking for friends"? Like, friends to play games with? friends to hang out? friends to go to events and stuff? It's an odd word to see on supposedly dating technologies lol.

Okay, no naming things guys.
    Any response appreciated!

2. never had a phone app as i only use my phone for calls e.t.c hardly ever internet lol.

best bet is to just ask them what they are after, rather than guessing thats the best way.

if you have contract with no data allowance then i assume you will have to buy a bolt on/add on if you want to use an online app thingy rather than free games e.t.c.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I only use one online dating site (it's a free one, but a good one).

Besides that, I also currently use 7 apps on my phone.

However by use I mean I have a profile and picture and will often sign on there, I don't meet guys from on any of them very often.

Most of the apps can be used for free, supported by ads, some will have a paid version to unlock some more features, but I've never paid for any of them.

If you want to know what someone is looking for, you're going to have to talk to them, don't rely on what they say they are interested in in their profile. "Friends" could mean just people to hang out with, or it could mean "friends with benefits", that would add sex into the equation. Again, you gotta talk to individuals to find out what they are really like and really into, don't read too much into anything you see on a profile, you have to read between the lines.

4. Tim

Tim

I don't use either apps or websites. xD

But beware of the apps. MOST are not really dating apps so much as people use them as hookup apps. The same happens with some websites, but not very often.

5. Ticklish Fish

I forget to ask, is there more people on dating site or phone app by comparison? D:

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, you can go on both of them just to survey the land in each case, and see what's out there. The phone apps usually will show you guys who are geographically close to you, using your phone's location finder.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very true, according to everyone I know who's ever used them. Even people who *say* they only want friends, it seems that, to 95% of them, "friends" means someone to have sex with.

In general, these sorts of apps (with the exception of one I know of which is web-based) are *terrible* places to find anything other than a hookup.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

A lot of guys are just looking for hookups...but not all of them are, and it's still much better/safer to meet guys online and be able to talk to them and get to know them online first, rather than get picked up at a bar with some guy you only met an hour ago after a few drinks.

I've gone on sex-free dates out with several guys I've met on the apps. Just spend some time talking to them first and getting to know who they really are. (Always Skype with them first too, to make sure they are the person in their pictures!) If you do meet, meet in a public place during the daytime.

9. Ticklish Fish

lol, my current phone plan is just text and call so I don't really use internet, hence I need to ask :x

thanks for the responses so far.

10. monotone

Which app is this, or is mentioning it against site policy?