1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 3 with portal

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WindMelody, Sep 11, 2013.

1. WindMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, so i have an argument with my friends.
    As some of us know, Aperture science transportation blocks and even the borialis was seen in half life 2. Doesn't that give a HUGE red flag that maybe they are going to combine the games? I mean, in portal 1, it probably was before half life, but in portal 2, she was sleeping for a long time! And there is the easter egg when looking at the potato projects later in the game! It can't be just by coincidence can it? i really valve is planning something big for the two games, but not sure what.

2. Sarcastic Luck

Well, the two games exist in the same universe.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ That is true. If you're not aware, there are many references to Black Mesa in Portal. I'm pretty sure they decided to "return the favor". It'd be interesting to see if they do decide to count to 3 with both games simultaneously, though.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep.

[​IMG]

They are both science companies involved in shady stuff. Portal may have lost the government contract, but they have a much more animated leader. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love both games.

Honestly I don't care if the Portal stuff goes beyond references so long as I GET HALF-LIFE 3 EVENTUALLY. :dry:

6. Stripe101

I talked about this with Ridiculous once.

Portal is centered more around comedy. The style and game play aspects are incompatible. The closest we get is the Borealis and the references in both Portal games. While Half-Life 3 will contain the Borealis, it will much more serious than the Aperture we know. It won't be about GLaDOS or Chell. For all we know they could be decades apart.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Added a detail there. Portal's not obviously funny until Wheatley comes along, and even then it's still sort of gallows humor. It really tiptoes the line between grim and hilarious, often times overlapping the two. But I'd say it's centered around the mind-bending puzzles and thoughtful setting, whereas HL really struck me as a more straightforward sci-fi/ horror shooter.

8. DeepCover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I can't imagine them making an actual hal-life 3/portal 3 game. As stripe said, the gameplay mechanics aren't really compatible. Ever played half life 2 with the portal gun enabled? It's fun to muck around, but a portal gun is just out of place in a shooter. Plus, portal 2 takes place a long time (100+ years) after half life 2. Still, I look forward to hopefully learning more about aperture science when/if half life 3 comes out (God I hope it's one of valves three 'mystery announcements' this week).

Oh and TF2 is also within the same universe. In the same slideshow screenshot that swordsman posted, there's another slide about black mesa and aperture investing in 'red' and 'blue'. Apparently, both companies made their money by investing in the team fortress matches. I think all the valve games exist, somehow, in the same universe... except maybe dota 2