1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Player Issues & Gender Identity in D&D

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Aard Rinn, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Aard Rinn

Trigger warnings for (brief, non-explicit) mention of rape below the jump.

So I've been DMing games occasionally for my school's GSA for a few years now - college level - and I've had a good time of it. Now I'm trying to get a campaign going, but I'm having some issues with one of my players.

R is 38, and a biologically male transgender woman. (I'm 18, btw.) She's been in several of my games, one of my more consistent players, and also one of my more experienced - although she does VtM and Second Edition, and I do 3.5, she's still a big help, if a bit rulesy for my taste.

However, I have an issue with R.

She has a very... particular character, one that I'm not really that comfortable with DMing. She enjoys playing young (14-18) female characters, usually elves or catfolk, who have been enslaved and only recently escaped, but who are still 'broken' from their captivity. She prefers them to have clear signs of their previous status, like collars or brands, and the backstories often have a kind of... rapey subtext, I guess you could call it? I pulled her aside at the first game I DMed with her, and said that that particular aspect of things was a hard limit for me, and I wouldn't DM a rape victim character, and she said that that wasn't her intent, but it's pretty clearly implied in the backstory, although she does usually reign it in.

However, this whole thing makes me really, really uncomfortable. I feel bad, because if R was bio!fem, I don't think I would have an issue with it. But the fact remains that, despite the leotards and skirts she wears, when I look at R I see a balding middle-aged man, and it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

A big part of this, I feel, is my own personal hang-ups. I've let bio!fem players play characters with back-stories that were far more explicit when it came to sexual abuse - it's never made me feel uncomfortable like this; but I've also never felt uncomfortable with my other trans- players. At the same time, I am DMing for a GSA - I don't want to tell someone, "No, you can't play this character because I am not comfortable with your gender choices," but at the same time, this isn't something I'm going to get used to. I've DMed this character eight or nine times, and it still skives me out.

Also, I feel like the game is being used to deal with some issues that I'm not really comfortable dealing with. The collar gives me very strong bondage overtones, and there is an enforced master-slave element that I'm not sure I can handle, especially when the characters are young girls. At the same time, R is very resistant to suggestions to play a different character - I managed to convince her to play a slave-courtesan, rather than a low-ranked slave, once, but she was irritated by the lack of limitations and controls placed on the character by her owners.

None of my other players have voiced concerns about this to me, but I've only got one player who's played with R and I more than once. I need to know how to handle this - I don't want to have to deal with this character; it makes me uncomfortable in ways that I shouldn't have to feel in what's supposed to be a safe and supportive group, to the point I almost would rather not DM if I have to DM her, but at the same time, I feel like I should also be supportive - it's pretty clear that, whatever the hangups she's got that make her repeat this same character over and over, it's pretty major for R. And I don't want to be excluded from the GSA if everybody feels I'm being transphobic - we had someone coming to the Pride Room last year that we wound up needing a restraining order against because he wouldn't stop shouting transphobic slurs at some of our members, and it's kind of left everyone a bit defensive about that...

In the end, I can't help but look at R when she RPs this character and seeing a middle-aged man playing an abused little girl: I think age is also a really big part of this. Most of my players who have wanted to have rape in their backstories have been playing adults - the only one who hasn't was seventeen, and was playing a 16yo, which is understandable. And I also get a very fetishy vibe off of it, which I'm not really sure how to handle; but at the same time, I'm not sure if it's something I'm imagining, or something that my player's will pick up on too... My games are very RP heavy, and it's not really something easy for me to change, especially in a longer campaign - I DM to tell a story, and that's why my players play with me, but this isn't a story I can tell comfortably.

I think my issue is partially that I'm having a hard time separating the two. I want to tell R that she can't play this character and that it makes me uncomfortable, but at the same time, I'm trying to make sure that it's not misinterpreted as having a go at her gender choices. As much as I hate to say it, I feel like a big part of it is appearance; R looks like a man despite her leotard, balding middle-agedness and all, and that doesn't make me comfortable with her playing such young girls - if a cis!male were trying to play this character, it'd be a hard limit no for me, and I don't know if I'd ever be comfortable playing with them again... or introducing them to my little sis. Most of my cis!fem players are actually Women's Club members (like 90% of our school's gamers are in the gender/sexuality clubs) and so they're very sensitive about using rape as a backstory - usually, they prefer strong women overcoming the challenges, not broken victims. Likewise, people who want to be escaped slaves are usually more interested in the "killed all the slavers and escaped into the night after taking bloody vengance" type of backstory - they usually get annoyed by any sort of attempt to control PCs by the NPCs, which is fine by me...

Any suggestions?

#1 Aard Rinn, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. LD579

A few questions to get a clearer sense of this all: What is DM and DMing? Also, is there a reason that this roleplay of sorts must coincide with your GSA?

3. Aard Rinn

DM and DMing are Dungeon Master(ing). It's the storyteller role in D&D and other paper&pencil RPGs - you narrate, make rules decisions, and control NPCs. This game is being run for my GSA - as I mentioned, the vast majority of LGBTect persons at my school are into D&D & gaming, so we run our own games within the GSA & Pride Alliance, as well as with the Woman's Group.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um yea.... In my opinion, tabletop roleplaying should be an escape for people. Bringing up rape and sexual assault generally is not a good idea: we never know who is a survivor, and we don't want to just be triggering people. I think that having a rape in a character's background is more of a gimmick than a real character concept. It's the whole "I have a collection of quirks, therefore it's a character" idea. It doesn't have a lot of depth, and it has the potential to make some gamers feel unsafe.

My view is that the storyteller ultimately has the say-so on whether the concept can be played. It doesn't have to be about kicking said player out of the game, it's just about appropriate boundaries and a possible rewrite. It may be her character, but there are still the other players at the table to consider.

5. LD579

Alrighty. That's fair enough. It'd be worth pointing out that gratuitous rape backstories are not often done in good taste. It's cheap characterization that often isn't pulled off accurately or tastefully at all. If it's becoming a larger problem (And not just because of this R person), it'd be worth setting rules and guidelines regarding this in place.

I don't know if, as you say, your outlook on this would truly be different if R weren't transgender, but that just seems to be a separate issue, honestly. Rape is a very serious topic that unfortunately is hardly ever treated with the gravity it deserves. As Pret Allez said, anyone in that group could be a rape survivor, which speaks for itself.

To be fair to all, you could introduce a blanket ban on rape, perhaps. There are many reasons you could do so, some of which we've touched upon. It depends on what the atmosphere of the group is, too, as well as what atmosphere you want to conduct. If it's to be a welcoming, safe place for all, explicit sexual undertones in backstories, or rape backstories, would be counterintuitive. Again, it's about what the group is like currently, and what it ideally would be like, and what steps could be taken to make the two more aligned.

As for if you are treating R differently because she's transgender... It'd be definitely worth exploring that train of thought. If you got more exposure to transgender people, perhaps, maybe you might see things a bit differently? It's possible, at least... Oftentimes, people aren't what they may appear on the outside. After all, can someone with a stereotypically menacing-looking face help how their face looks? Not really. They were born to look how they look, to a very large extent.

#5 LD579, Sep 15, 2013
  6. Aard Rinn

The thing is, there's no explicit or direct mention of rape - like I said, I killed that one at the outset. It's more the strong emphasis on master-slave relationships, and the bondage elements like the collar - especially when the character is so young, and the interest is in a "broken" victim, rather than, say, a strong character overcoming a tragic past. But those things tend to imply sexual abuse, at least to me, when the character is young and female - no offense to guys, but an abused male slave tends to make me think more rebellious scamp or defiant rebel; an abused female slave makes me think rape victim, although I understand that boys can be raped too.

I have several trans! players, and I've never had this issue with any of them - most prefer more standard characters, and they are also much closer to me in age. I'm more worried about the way other people, R in particular, will view this - I don't think it's appropriate, but at the same time, our GSA can be very hostile if they feel like someone's being attacked for their identity, and we've had serious issues with transphobia recently; I don't want to be ostracized from the group because people who don't play with us decide that I'm being unfair to R because she's trans, even though her character is much different in scope than those I've allowed. I rely on the GSA for support, too, even though I'm not out to them as asexual yet - I'm worried that being thought of as a straight ally makes me more prone to being thought of as biased and an outsider, and R has been in the GSA for almost four years longer than I have... They'd probably support her over me, if it came down to it.

#6 Aard Rinn, Sep 15, 2013
  7. biggayguy

If rape is actually part of the story I could see allowing it. It seems like this player is just wanting attention by making the character different. You have to maintain balance among the players; otherwise, some of them will get bored. One thing you could do is have her character get imprisoned. Then see if the other players will come to her rescue. All she would be doing is trying for an escape saving throw.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have an abused male, and you're not always going to have Gavroche. Trust me, I know of abused males who aren't rebellious.

I'd say get a clearer picture on why they want these kinds of characters. If it's a sexual thing, I'd say no. And not because of things like "it's boner-inducing". It could probably inhibit their chances of actually RPing and actually getting into character, which is pretty much the point of RPing. What I'm saying is that in situations that may have them potentially getting involved with sex, they may just decide the character's decisions based on lust rather than what that character ACTUALLY would be doing, regardless of whether or not the character actually gets sexually involved.

If you're still worried that they may kick you out for being transphobic, then tell them the reason beforehand. The situation that got the other person kicked out seems like it was not a one-time thing, and that it was more than one account that got them kicked out.

9. RainbowMan

Another quick question - my immediate concern over this character isn't that R is trans*, but her age, and the age of her character engaging in BDSM activities.

Is it possible, that at least subconsciously, that THAT is your concern instead of the fact that she's trans*? Would you allow a biofemale to play that character? I'd have grave concerns even then.

A completely orthogonal question is why you aren't out to the GSA, which might make your role there slightly easier, but that's a topic for another thread.

10. Aard Rinn

I think that the age is more my issue than her gender - but it'd still be uncomfortable if it were a bio!fem person, just not necessarily as viscerally awful to me, and it would be easier to approach. The gender issue just makes things more complicated - like I said, she can be really touchy about things she thinks are because she's bio!male, and at the same time, I know that her gender does play a role in it - like I said, when she's playing this character, no matter how I see her in my everyday life, I can't help but see an almost 40yo guy playing a teenage rape victim. Please don't be offended, anyone, but this is something I'm trying to be honest about - it doesn't help that she really, really looks like a middle-aged man, despite the skirts - stubble, balding, unkempt long hair, no padding, that sort of thing; it sounds pretty awful, but visually the leap to creepy old man is much easier than that to woman, and it makes it hard to associate her as a female RPing a preteen/teenage girl, rather than a man (RPing a preteen/teenaged girl); I think that that's part of it for me. I'm trying to be fair to R by figuring how much of this is my own feelings about gender and how much is that it is legitimately creepy before I approach her and put us both into a potentially contentious situation; if I'm acting irrationally based on my own bias, I'll sit on my hands, but if this is reasonable, I want to address it so that I don't have to feel uncomfortable in my own game.

And I'm not out to my GSA for a couple reasons - I've gotten lots of bad, and sometimes very hostile, reactions to telling people that I'm asexual before. Most people I've met can't understand it, or assume I can't have a meaningful relationship with anyone because of it; and if I come out, I'll be the only out asexual at my school. It's not a risk I'm comfortable taking, especially when my own sister doesn't know...

#10 Aard Rinn, Sep 15, 2013
  11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue to me sounds less like a problem with the transwoman's roleplaying choices and more on your mostly unintentional judgment. You mentioned more than once it's the fact that her body is that of a "creepy old man" than any standout problem with her game style.

She has proven herself (as far as I can tell) that she doesn't intend to prey on anybody, and has the fantasy of being a young abused slave. Lots of people have ephebophilic tendencies, and I shouldn't have to speak for BDSM because it's the most iconic fetish group out there. I can only recommend that you try to relax and go along with it. If others are visibly/vocally disturbed by her gaming, then you can set up some boundaries. Until then, hey. It's DnD and anything not dictated by the rules or the dice is pretty much fair game. :slight_smile: