1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mail services and wanting your phone number

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had free e-mail services for years, and never have they asked for much information other than minimal information.

I've now seen a request for a phone number, presumably a mobile phone. I looked around by googling this and found about 65 yay (it's ok) and 35 nay (it's not ok). Well, if you don't provide it, you won't be getting into your account.

I called a friend who had the same free e-mail provider and she told me that account is closed. However, she experienced this with her new free e-mail provider and provided her number. To her, it was no big deal.

She said it's all about enhanced security measures. Any thoughts? Has this happened to any e-mail account of yours?

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yahoo keeps asking for me to update my info. I just hit 'remind me later'. Been hitting the button for months and still no problems.

3. Fiddledeedee

Google wants my phone number. For a while it didn't even give an obvious "skip" button, because they want you to think that you have no choice. However, like Redneck I've been clicking past it for months and there's nothing they can do about it. I really don't trust them to handle my information well.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hotmail gives you 7 days.

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2013 at 08:31 AM ----------

Per above, I wish I could click the "next time" button, but they give you a time period.

5. Emulator

Google. Now you can't sign up for a new gmail account without providing a phone number, and they prompt on existing accounts. I'm switching to another email provider if Google doesn't change their policies.

6. Sarcastic Luck

It's primarily in case your account get compromised. It gives you a way to get your account back.

All you do is put in your number, they send a text with a code, you put in the code, and done. They might ask for you to verify the number once or so a year.

7. lukeluvznicki13

I think it is because so many people made fake accounts for certain things. They probably soon realised that people were using many different accounts for certain things which they thought wasn't right.
    I'm not 100% sure but that was one of the reasons why they have brought cell phone numbers into your sign up process.

8. blaidd drwg137

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Its a annoyance, Google it doesn't bother me much I have an android and everything's connected to that account any ways