1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it too late to get into the iPhone crowd?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TsurugiPrincess, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Hi there, was wondering if anyone could chime in on a little situation of mine...

I want an iPhone, but I'm afraid it's too late to get into the swing of it. I got my first smartphone, a Motorola Droid 4, about a year and a half ago. It died about 10 months into my contract, and after dealing with 2 broken refurbished phones shortly thereafter, I terminated the contract and swore I'd never get another contract phone again. I've been with a cheap "go phone" since then, but I'm not satisfied with it either. I miss having the things my smartphone had, like the fancy screen and all the apps and stuff. So I'm considering getting another contract phone, but this time I want to give into my secret desire for an iPhone, I just don't know if it's too late to do that. Apple has a lot of competition now, and I don't personally know anyone who likes the iPhone (or Apple for that matter). It just seems really intimidating to be the only person I know and commonly associate with who has an iPhone while everyone else has their galaxy s3 and s4 and windows phone and other devices I don't really like.

So if I do get a contract phone again, should I give in and join the iPhone crowd? Even though everyone's been spreading doom and gloom for them since Steve Jobs died? And if I do get an iPhone, should I get the new 5s or 5c? Or just wait a year until the inevitable iPhone 6 is announced?

Thanks!

2. Momosboy

Android, Dana. Go with Android.

3. No I'm sick of it lol. I had an android and I didn't like it that much. I mean I did, because it was a huge upgrade from what I had, but looking back on it I'm like "meh" and I've always been drawn to the iPhone.

4. Stripe101

I'm going to get a 5C soon. It'll be my first smartphone. So no it's not too late. I'm just buying the poor man's version.

5. So you don't believe in the doom and gloom being spread about Apple either? And you don't think it's too late to join the iPhone crowd? I also I MUST ask why you are choosing an iPhone as your first smartphone? Thanks!

6. Tyrael

I guess I am one of those people who has always been against the iPhone, for no particular reason other than the fact I've never been into jumping on bandwagons etc...

That being said, I got the Samsung Galaxy S2 as my first smart phone a few years ago and it served it's purpose. I have since upgraded to the Sony Experia Z and it's also adequate. I have an iPod so I'm not against Apple as such, I just don't get the obsession. I like music, so I got an iPod. I wanted to use the net on my phone, so I got a smartphone. Beyond that, well it's up to you I guess. I have had no problems with Android though.

What I will say is, when this contract runs out, I'm downgrading and that's a certainty. I'm sick of spending a ton of cash on a contract when I don't see the purpose of these phones to the average consumer like me.

7. I feel ya on the downgrade part, that's what I did when I terminated my contract. Part of me didn't feel like I needed all the apps and stuff, but then I started to miss it. And I wouldn't say I want an iPhone so I can hop on a bandwagon, because if anything that bandwagon has already passed the bus stop lol. The iPhone is well established now, and plenty of people have switched to Android in the last few years. I just... the iPhone is so appealing to me... lol dammit

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

I would also like to add that my desire for an Apple product is rooted in other areas besides just the iPhone. I've also had a desire for a Mac computer, finding them very elegant and pretty. Unfortunately, EVERYBODY I know has a Windows computer and an Android phone. It would feel weird being the only person to have Apple stuff, so that's why I've tried to ignore my little Apple crush. BUT, I'm also a gamer, and WAS a loyal Xbox user, but with Microsoft's recent goof up on anti-consumerism with the Xbox One and their forceful nature with Windows 8 (which I refuse to upgrade to), I feel like this a wonderful opportunity to switch to Apple for both my computer and phone use. As for Gaming? Well I already have a Playstation 4 pre-ordered lol

8. Tyrael

Oh where to start? lol. It's just me I guess but I feel the urge to fight against all these happy appy people. Apps are just...pointless and they suck up peoples imagination and life! Unless of course you mean like I don't know, a flashlight app, which I find useful :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: or maps for satnav then sure...but you don't need an uber phone to use those :slight_smile: which is why I'm downgrading, there isn't any other apps worth having.

I'm a big gaming fan and have been an Xbox user since the original Xbox was released. And since Microsoft was nice enough to U-turn on their awful decisions with the Xbox One, it has put the Xbox One right back on the top of my most wanted list. Also if you're a gamer, you'll know that a Mac computer is the worst decision you will ever make :wink:

9. Yes I know, but I don't play PC games. I'm a console gamer.

And... that's kind of a depressing viewpoint about apps lol. Reminds me of my friend who has the same viewpoint about technology in general. He's pretty much... anti-fun. Anyway, yes they did a U-turn but it's the principle of the matter, they showed me what they thought of consumers like me and turned their backs on us. U-turn or not, they're not worth it anymore. But to bring the conversation back to phones, I was pretty set on getting an iPhone, I was just hoping some people on here could reassure me it wouldn't be a mistake lol

10. Jordz

I wouldn't say its too late. I'm gonna upgrade to the 5s soon which will be my first iphone and I know others that have got their first iphone recently

11. lukeluvznicki13

iPhones are fine but if you want to share things with other devices etc etc, then you're going to have problems. Apple is so controlling and protective and therefore you can only share data (pictures, music etc) via other apple devices or your own apple devices. Or you can only share photos via email to other non apple devices. This annoys me a lot about apple and so therefore I am #TeamSamsung. Don't get me wrong, they are great phone but they are so restricted to apple devices only x.x

12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I've had an iPhone for years and love it. It doesn't matter that some apps are "pointless," they bring joy and amusement. Nothing brings as much giggles as facejuggling a group photo at the dinner table. And no, you don't need an uber phone for flashlight and satnav, but if it's there then why not? Then it means you don't need to go out and get all these other things. The flashlight on iPhone is stronger than most flashlights I've seen anyway, it lights up a whole room brightly.

In addition, iPhone is generally considered "the" phone, a lot of things are based around it, like you see loads of docking systems for it in things like speakers, radios etc. I'd never switch to another phone. Looking forward to my upgrade soon so I can get the 5S with fingerprint sensor :3

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    iOS7 just came out, so it's actually probably a REALLY good time to get into it.

14. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I always say this to people: A phone is a phone. Android phones and iPhones essentially do the exact same thing. Most of the "differences" are merely nitpicking.

I choose Android phones because I like the freedom that comes with it. I dislike companies charging me an arm and a leg for a phone and still think they can prevent me from using the phone the way I wish. I pay therefore I own it, end of story. But that aside, I also just like the way Android works. However, this isn't necessarily your experience.

You said you had a negative experience with Android previously. Note that Google has made quite a few improvements with the latest versions of Android, but if you still don't like it then the iPhone may be a good option for you. The only advice I can give is play around with a few phones and decide which one works best for you.

15. Tyrael

OK I have problem with both those points, first off: using your phone at the dinner table? This is one of the issues I have with mobile phone obsessed people these days. If someone wants to use their phone during dinner, go use it out in the hall or something. It's just irritating and rude. Not everyone cares (like me) about frankly pointless apps etc which take away from human interaction, as if we need another reason not to talk to each other these days. Almost no families sit down for the "family dinner" anymore, the last thing you need is people bringing mobile devices to the table. :tantrum:

Point two: (To the OP) just because I think pointless apps, are pointless, doesn't mean I'm averse to having fun. I did already mention I'm a big gamer lol. I just think these mobile devices are taking over our lives, which they are. And having MORE useless crap on them to waste your time just seems, bad? I agree there are some things on it like a camera, the flashlight I like and the satnav which is very useful in my line of work. But if (like me) you don't need anything more than those, why pay a fortune for a phone which you won't get the full use out of? It's just typical of modern consumerism.

16. Zaio

Zaio Guest

My sisters, brother and I are extremely close, we don't consider it rude to use phones at the dinner table, we don't use it while someone is talking to us, and it's usually after we've actually eaten, while we're just sitting there and talking/having a laugh. Me and my family always have family dinners.

I think it's more for those families who aren't close and wish they were, so they start blaming their distance on anything they can. When someone is using their phone, they aren't ignoring you, they're not purposely trying to be rude (at least not in my family). I know they're not trying to blank me, and for that reason it doesn't matter.

I don't really consider these pointless apps pointless anyway, they bring happiness/laughs, that's their point. Last family meal my family had was about a week ago, and everyone was in stitches from laughing so hard at a facejuggler'd photo. Sure, the meal was nice without the app, but it's made better and more enjoyable/memorable with it. Small things add up, just because it doesn't work for your family doesn't mean it doesn't for others.

17. Tyrael

Well I didn't say it doesn't work for others, but it's a simple fact that most families do not do sit-down family dinners very often these days like they used to. It's good hear that you do, family should be treasured.

My family is a little dysfunctional I'll admit, but I won't go into details because it doesn't really matter. My point is I take issue with people using phones at ANY dinner table. If I'm at a get together or such, the person sitting texting someone elsewhere is definitely ignoring the people around them, that's quite obvious. When it's family that's not the case and I don't take issue there.

Maybe it's because I'm older I don't know, there's only 9 years between us so I guess that isn't much so maybe I'm old before my time. Who knows, I could just be a complete knob :slight_smile: but I'm ok with that too.

18. petitebrunette

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with Tyrael. I've only had two phones both which would be considered crappy and old but honestly I just see it as a thing to text on and nothing more. I think people don't mind to be rude and attempt to multi task but most times they just can't give both the phone and people the right amount of attention at the same time.

Then again different people everywhere! I can't stand phones for the most part but obviously many are obsessed and happy with theirs.

19. Level G

It's not really ever too late. I used to be Android all the way, but then I saw a cheap iPhone 3GS and I figured "Why not?"

Even on 4 year old hardware, It functioned better than the two Android phones I had... Somewhat... Yeah, sure apps were slower to launch, no Retina display, limited RAM and a weaksauce GPU, but it functioned great as a media player, phone, and web browser.

I currently have a iPhone 4S that I pay $30 a month for. How? Well, if you are willing to pay more for your phone up front and deal with prepaid services like GoPhone, AirVoice or PagePlus, you can save money in the long run.

To address the phone at the dinner table thing, if I am eating alone, I will. But, if I am with someone else, I most definitely will not. I came to eat with you, not dig through my Twitter timeline.

20. sammy1

I want either the 5s or 5c haven't decided yet...I have a htc one x and the contract still has 2yrs to go :frowning2: I'm so bored of it and I got an iPad for my bday and I love it so now I want a iPhone as well