1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache server problems

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by QWERTz, Oct 25, 2013.

1. QWERTz

QWERTz Guest

When i make servers i like to program my own tools but recently i thought i'd try out apache. made a no-ip.biz domain instead of my regular godaddy.com stuff and even when i point apache to my DNS it doesn't load the site and i'm left with a DNS error. Is this something to do with no-ip or is it just apache?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're getting a DNS error? What error are you getting exactly? Is it loading nothing, or not loading the site you have set up? Do you have an A record set up in no-IP pointing to the IP address of your server? Is Apache set up with the virtual host container (or single host entry) to respond to the request it's receiving?

3. QWERTz

QWERTz Guest

I can't connect to it unless i ssh into the machine or view it with the internal IP. Everything is set up correctly but i think it might just be the no-ip software or my router might be on its way out. port forwarding has always been a pain in the arse with Buffalo routers.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might help to know what error you're getting, like log files or some kind of output thing. I happen to remember in the brief time that I played with Apache on my Arch box that the server doesn't start out having permissions to the site root directory. Have you provided those permissions? I know that's a really stupid question to ask, but I figure why not...

5. QWERTz

QWERTz Guest

I've given the software all the permissions to acces /www but i get a 503 error so i think its some error in communication between Apache and no-ip

6. starfish

What OS are you running on?

When I have Apache issues the first 2 things I check are that the firewall on the local machine is open on port 80 and if selinux is in enforcing mode.

Though for either of those I would not expect an HTTP 503 message. What is the content that Apache is serving up?

Getting an HTTP 503 error, I am strongly suspecting there is that Apache is reconfigured. What happens when you use IP address instead of the hostname?

7. QWERTz

QWERTz Guest

the Pi is running raspbian and i'm hosting a file server for my college work so i can upload and download through the web interface. at the moment the only way i can upload and download is by using filezilla on the local network. all of apache's configuration seems fine and it's all pointing to the right places.

8. starfish

Are you using an app or module in Apache for the file management?

Sounds like it is not working on your local network either. Is selinux enabled? Try running getenforce to what the setting is.

9. QWERTz

QWERTz Guest

I fixed it guys. decided to use my own tools. never using Apache again.