1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to replace my integrated video card.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cassindra Starlight, Oct 29, 2013.

1. It's an Intel HD Graphics, inside a Gateway NE56R34u notebook. Unfortunately, the software (Autodesk Mudbox) I need to be running requires Nvidia or AMD graphics. What, exactly, are my options for getting my laptop running Nvidia or AMD?

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2013 at 01:43 AM ----------

Am I likely to have a PCIe slot on this machine? That would let me ignore the challenge of replacement.

2. method

Practically speaking, you can't upgrade or otherwise 'change' an integrated GPU in a laptop.

To change a GPU you'd need to find a motherboard with the other GPU that you want, that fits your laptop (which is very unlikely as mobos are generally specific to a range of laptop models - they are physically shaped differently, and they will usually only be manufactured with a particular GPU anyway - I'm not aware of mobos made without GPUs).

I'm not familiar with PCI-e graphics cards. That sounds like a more suitable option for your purpose though. Let us know how you go.

3. It won't work. I only have a PCIe x1, and no room to plug in an adapter and card.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2013 at 12:29 AM ----------

I'm just going to bite the loss and buy another laptop with an Nvidia card. That laptop will be for all my design software and stuff directly related to it's use, and only that. This laptop will be for everything else.