1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with a laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Daydreamer1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't my laptop, but from someone living with me. I'm barely a tech newbie so sorry if anything sounds out of place.

I heard the person say it was still acting weird and they asked me to check it out. I overheard "virus" and I was kind of annoyed. Problems like this aren't uncommon honestly with tech stuff in the house.

Anyway, they tried to install an antivirus (Norton since it comes with Comcast) and the computer says it has a virus and it couldn't be downloaded. When I closed out of the browser to reopen it, I noticed all of their desktop icons/features were gone. They told me they gave it to a friend of my stepdad's to clean out. I found it weird that everything was gone, since I'd assume even if you brought it back to day one, there would be something there. But no, virtually everything was gone.

I reopened the browser to go back to the Comcast site to try and reinstall it for them and I noticed there was a lot of the double underlined texts here and there. I don't know if Comcast's site does that on its own; but when I see it, I attribute that to adware (again, I'm a newbie so maybe I'm wrong). They also said the antivirus (started with an A I guess) they were given was doing stuff every few seconds. Still, Norton wouldn't download. I may try to get MalwareBytes later and see if that helps, but I don't know.

Said person said they'll wait until it dies until they get a new one, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what may be the problem or could be done.

What I'm aware of:

-- It's a Dell (not sure what the specific model is) and it has Windows Vista.
    -- Two people in the house share it, but don't use it for much aside from checking stuff from the bank and using Facebook really.

Blah. I probably shouldn't worry. Not my problem or anything, but still (the whole thing gives me mild anxiety honestly). Anyone have ideas as to what could be done or should I not bother with it?