1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer temperature?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by VireBlaze, Nov 9, 2013.

1. VireBlaze

So, I've been trying to look around about information regarding safe temperature levels for the comp I have - to no avail. So I was thinking maybe someone around here knows something?

See, I have a laptop with an Intel i7-3610QM CPU and a nVidia Geforce GTX 660M GPU, and typically the idle temperature for the system is around 46-50 C. Recently, though, I found out how to make it so certain games actually use the nVidia GPU instead of the built-in Intel graphics card. So I tried it out with my Sonic Generations demo, and the difference was HUGE - much, much improved graphically, and actually playable. The downside is the running temperature was around low 90 C or so. That concerns me... I mean, as nice as it is to have a card like this and be able to potentially play games like Sonic Generations, really it's gonna end up stressing the laptop more than I should. And that's running the game on low settings. <_>

But I'm just wondering - is this kinda thing normal at all? I mean, running a game at 90 C? The max temperature the system can take is 105 C before it takes safety measures and shuts down to prevent possible damage. I also performed a stress test earlier, though it was only for 21 minutes, and it managed to stay around the high 70s - low 80s C mark. Plan on trying to test it longer in the future.

2. Harve

It should be able to take 90c fine; I wouldn't worry too much.

My laptop gets really terrible frame rates above that, and then if it can't manage to cool it down (which it can't, like ever), it'll shut down at 105c. Bloody Acers!

3. VireBlaze

I hope. >w< I've kinda been unlucky with laptops it seems, as the first one I had, an Acer, started acting weird - like, it would lag HORRIBLY, even when trying to open anything or go anywhere or watch anything - when the battery mode was set on Balanced. I set it to High Performance, and, well, after a while... I dunno. Started getting too hot. Granted, this one I got back in 2008 or so and it lasted 2, 3 years?

So I got a HP later, might've had worse specs, can't really remember, but it was okay for the most part. Wasn't much of a gaming machine. I think the performance with games kinda started getting weird, too...? Can't really remember.

Then I got this one, a Lenovo, and it's been pretty good. So far, anyway. Fingers crossed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So, in conclusion - yeah, Acers suck. From what I've experienced, anyway. >__>

What're your CPU and GPU like?

4. Harve

The label says it has a 2.3GHz i5 and a GeForce GT 540m (1 GB VRAM, I believe). That was actually really decent considering I bought it over two years ago and for something like £500. It's just a shame that with the overheating issue, using the GPU to its full potential can only be done for 5 minute bursts at a time, otherwise it forces a shutdown.

I've never been too much of a gamer anyway - it's way too time-consuming and I'm better off doing other things, so it's okay!

5. Data

Data Guest

What about a cooling mat? With a laptop, you want as much airflow as you can get. If you can force more room temp air into the chassis, the heat sinks will deal with the heat better.

6. VireBlaze

Well, I have a cooling fan that also acts as a small stand, if that makes a difference. It's one of the Belkin models.

Believe it's this one.

It seems to help? Usually by like 1-3 C or so, from what I can tell.

7. Data

Data Guest

Yep that's what I was thinking of. It's a thing you rest the laptop on but it also forces air up through the chassis to help out the single fan that usually does an ok job of cooling. So it helps but not much. :frowning2: That's upsetting, but I guess a few degrees C is better then nothing.

On my desktop, I noticed how hot the CPU was running when I played Silent Hunter 3. I popped open the case, cleaned the CPU heat sink very well (it was caked in fur and dust), cleaned the fans very well, and reapplied the thermal paste between the CPU case and the heat sink. The dust build up, coupled with the dried out old thermal paste made for an unhappy CPU. After I cleaned it, it dropped in temp very nicely.

A lappy is a bit harder to pop open and examine, but if you've got dust caked on the heat sink and fans, it will run hot.

8. VireBlaze

Well, thankfully this is a lenovo, and it comes with a 'Dust Fan extraction' feature. I'm not sure if that helps or not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I run it every now and again, just for the sake of things. I remember roughly when I first got this laptop, I believe it was running maybe around 20-30 C when idle? Compared to the 40-50 C NOW... no doubt the thermal paste is kinda wearin'. It's just concerning, in a sense, cause someone got it for me only a year ago for around $1300. <____> So I wanna make sure it lasts, cause that's no small amount to scoff at.

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like the system is running a bit warmer than it should. How long have you had it? Dust is a very good thermal insulator, couldn't hurt to pull the keyboard and give all the heatsinks, and especially the fan a good shot of canned air...

10. VireBlaze

Oh, I've had it for just over a year now. I'm just worried about actually having to take it apart in any form. xD;

11. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some bits of advice:
    - Check the "power settings" in control panel. Some manufacturers set up this "low power" mode which throttles or uses low fan speeds and "silent modes".
    - Use an air duster or vacuum on the fans if you don't want to take it apart. Might want to change thermal paste if you do take it apart. It can dry out.
    - Check all drivers are up to date. Video and graphics can run inefficiently without them.
    - If gaming/using intensive CPU/GPU software, have the laptop on a hard surface to aid with cooling.

The system is fine running hot but it reduces the life of them to potential solder joint problems and capacitors going bad. I let my desktop CPU run up to 80C.

12. prism

Your laptop is designed to operate up to 105 C. Personally, I use a laptop cooling pad to help with overheating.