1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like making video games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rg93, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rg93

Hey everyone! :slight_smile: It's been a while since my last contribution to EC! No, I haven't been playing the ENTIRE time... :lol:

I am in the process of learning Javascript with the libgdx library, and I'm sorta getting some amusing results!

[​IMG]

(I sure hope it takes my twitter photo linky without getting me in trouble! :grin:)

That's sort of a weird very unfinished 16 bit-ish space-game thingy with "borrowed" snips of the planet Mars from the NASA Website. This is my first attempt at making a game EVER. I'm such a huge scifi fan, so don't judge! :icon_bigg

I was just wondering, has anyone else had the sudden urge to learn to program and/or make a game or is anyone interested in trying? Or has anyone tried and/or succeeded in starting to make one? If yes, I'd love to see some images of the gameplay and ideas of what you think the BEST GAME IN THE WORLD would look like! :slight_smile:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not tried Javascript, but have done a bit of C++ and Java. I don't think I'm cut out for programming though, so I'll say congrats. :grin: I did learn enough to say with certainty that you don't get Mass Effect visuals right out of the gates lol.

I laid out a whole plan on the other "What game would you make?" thread, but it was too long ago to find now and too lengthy to remember with any detail. But my idea for the best game ever does involve starships and planets hehe.

#2 Argentwing, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I taught myself how to program when I was about 15 because I wanted to make games someday, and now I'm studying computer science with the intent of becoming a games programmer. However, I've yet to finish anything, as I tend to get bogged down making the engine.

As for what game I would make...it would probably look something like a cross between Braid and Analogue: A Hate Story, so maybe something like Bastion, except with less emphasis on combat for the actual gameplay. It would be highly atmospheric but also interactive, with the player guiding what path the narrative takes each play-through, exposing new facets of the story, characters, and setting each time. Naturally, it would have to be short and engaging enough for the player to want to repeat it.