1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get the best airflow in your computer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by twospiritlycan, Nov 14, 2013.

1. I cleaned out my computer fans and they were dusty. The problem I have now is that I don't know how I installed the fans.

2. srslywtf

Heheh... it depends if theyre always-on or speed controlled... do you know?

3. They seem to be on all the time when the computer is on, and there's some fan controls, which I'm assuming they're speed controls.

4. srslywtf

Ok, can you describe or upload a pic of the wires/plug on the wires?

5. I don't think I have a problem with the wires. I think I screwed on the fans in the wrong directions.

6. AAASAS

If you live in the U.S I guess it depends on the state you can buy computer duster. It's in an aerosol can and most supermarket and walmartesque stores in New York and Pennsylvania sell it. I grab it everytime I go down there because it is illegal here. If it is illegal in your state dusting the area your computer traffics the most is good to keep it going.

Never put it on fabrics obviously and keep it away from open windows that can collect dust outside.

7. starfish

If you pull out the fans you will typically see 2 arrows on the housing. 1 is the direction the fan spins, the other is the direction of airflow.

Typically you move air from the front of the case to the back of the case. So you want the airflow pointing to the back of the case.

8. srslywtf

What you want is air passing over the mainboard + video card essentially, (where there is a video card) - you should see mini fans/heatsinks on the cpu and gpu, the big fans are mainly about giving circulation to these, but be careful not to get the big fans toooo close to these little ones or you can interfere with the flow of air in them.) so if theyre next to each other you want both sucking/both blowing, if ones front ones back, you want one sucking in one sucking out. You want the fan (or fans if theyre near each other) blowing inwards to be the closest to the heat the computer generates, because blowing compresses air which lowers its temperature, whereas sucking expands it, increasing temperature. It probably doesnt make much difference practically.

#8 srslywtf, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, compressing air, or gas in general, increases its temperature, and vice versa for decompression.

For good airflow, you need to avoid turbulence and try to get the air moving in one direction. In a Mac Pro I was working on, there is an internal fan sitting next to GPU and pulling air from it and out toward the side of the case. The newest Mac pro has an interesting design where the air is travelling up through the cylindrical case, which makes sense because hot air will rise up.