1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod touch repair

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by method, Nov 19, 2013.

1. method

I've just had the most frustrating 6 hours of my life wasted on this.

I dropped my iPod touch (4G) a couple of times and finally got around to getting a replacement screen kit and decided to start after dinner. Worst idea ever.

Dismantling it was no problem, but reconnecting the two lcd connectors was so finnicky, and the one on top kept coming off. But finally I got them connected, push the on button to test - and white screen.

Okay, this was a common problem apparently. Dismantle again and check lcd connector on reverse of the motherboard. Check a whole bunch of things other forums were suggesting. Hard reset.

Hurrah, the Apple logo! But then the screen started to turn/fade white. What the.

Now it wasn't even responding to a hard reset after that, and now no white screen or any screen at all.

Anyway, ego bruised, I decided to give up. Having done many DIY repairs, I think this is the first time I've actually given up.

My options:
    1. Try again tomorrow (possibly for more disappointment)
    2. Order another replacement screen and take my chance on another try (may have broken the connective ribbon with the stress from continuous reseating, or the replacement was just faulty)
    3. Pay someone to fix it (I should have done this considering the time I put in - I would have rather paid for the repair)
    4. It's a lost cause. Buy a new one.

It's almost 3am and I need to be up early for work. Ughhhhhhh

2. lukeluvznicki13

I would get someone to fix it.
    Because if you continue trying and you make a mistake you may break the actual device and you will then have to purchase a new one. :slight_smile:

3. method

Yeah... maybe.. that hurts my pride though :eusa_snoo :icon_wink

I will do if I don't get it this weekend.

4. Mitchell

I don't get the big thing about the iPod touch.

I miss my iPod Classic!!!! Damn brother "lost" it....

Much more music. I don't want a camera or web browser on my music device.

Although I have been enjoying my iPhone...

5. Inferno

Inferno Guest

I think I know what may have happened, I decided to replace the screen of my iPod touch, and so I did the necessary procedures for that, but when I pressed the home button the screen was white. This is because the screen has come away from the digitiser when you pressed the home button, you will need a new screen. Remember to be gentle. If you do find that the screen is a bit loose on the final product, that's fine, you can always get a protective cover for it, just be careful. However, if you have a docking station this will not fit, i know this from experience. Good Luck with fixing it!

6. method

Thank you! I shall let you know how I get on after I try one more time this weekend. *fingers crossed*

7. method

So I bit the bullet and ordered a second replacement screen. Thankfully installing it was relatively quick, and the screen worked on the first press of the power button... meaning the first screen was faulty and that I'm not completely incompetent :eusa_danc

But then, as I was trying to push the screen back into the casing, this happened:

[​IMG]

Suffice to say, I'm definitely abandoning the self repair option. A third replacement will cost me in total more than what I would have paid to get it professionally done. I think a new one is in order.

Quite disappointed this didn't work out.