1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new computer application

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mitchell

Back in May or June I had started a new computer application that would store medical records, and mental health records. I couldn't find anything good out there that did it... There are applications out there to handle all different types of information, but very few good ones out there to handle medical records.

I had a draft of an application designed for a single user.

Last night I started rebuilding from scratch a new version of this application, as the past one had bugs.

This time around, it will work for both individual home users, but also small clinicians. Probably ones that have say 1-3 or so clinicians in a practice.

The application is being designed to not just store records that are useful for an individual home user, but features for a small clinicians office.

As of now, it's all working on a SQLite database. When more progress is made, I will move it over to a MySQL database so it can work across a network, or convert the front-end to something that can be accessed over a network.

My last application was being designed in REAL Studio. They have recently changed around to now be known as Xojo, and I am playing around in the new IDE. I am pleased.

I am focusing on the desktop application now, for use on a desktop interface. It so far has support for multiple users, but is accessible on one machine.

After I have it all up and running and the program has many of the features I have planned, I will investigate moving the backend to a MySQL database, or even redesigning the GUI, and just having one application that runs on a server computer, giving a web-based interface instead. This could be a hit or miss type thing. I like the feel of a desktop application, but if I am to add support for multiple users, it would probably be more secure to have it use a web-based interface, to avoid someone with a packet sniffer on a network picking up information. I am not sure yet. I will need to look into database options. As always, if the network is secure, I doubt I'll need to worry much about it running on a MySQL database.

Alternatively, if the server is off-site, end users could always connect over an encrypted VPN (I like OpenVPN), and access the database that way. That would, ultimately, be a very secure setup.

I'm not sure yet. I'm just playing around.

2. freeskies

brilliant! All the very BEST :slight_smile:

Are you writing this application for iOS or Android?