1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One and PS4, buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tyrael, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Tyrael

First off, I've always been an Xbox fan, ever since there has been an Xbox! Yesterday I sold my Xbox 360S and bought a PS3 so I could play the PS exclusive titles. First time owning a PS in over 6-7 years.

Anyway, now I really want to upgrade (cause I'm an impatient idiot) but I've found myself leaning towards the PS4 of late, for several reasons. I don't think I'll get any use out of Kinect and I won't be using it as an "entertainment centre" as it's being advertised. So I feel I won't be using it to it's full potential. However it does have some exclusives I want to play.

That being said, all the good games for both consoles won't be coming till mid-2014. So my question is, is it too soon to upgrade? And which one would you choose and why?

Edit: please don't go flaming each other and arguing please, just state your points! :slight_smile:

2. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I personally think it'd be best to wait. With a new console gen, there's always glitches, problems, or even just a lack of games to play. For example, right now the PS4 has connectivity and heating issues, and Sony has just gotten around to address them. More problems will probably pop up in the coming months and it'll take a bit of time to iron them out.

Then, there's always the lack of games. Most of the games out for the PS4/Xbone now are available on previous gen consoles. The few launch exclusives aren't exactly high-profile must haves (unless you REALLY want something like Knack). Meanwhile, Infamous: Second Son isn't coming out until March 21st.

I just think overall, it's best to wait a few months. You won't have to deal with glitches, there will be more games to chose from, and the games that are out now will be available for much cheaper. But still, I can understand why someone would want to buy it now. Honestly, if you have the money and see games you like out now, then why not? You're paying more, but you'll have the experience sooner. Personally, I'd wait. But there aren't exactly any huge problems with buying now either.

I feel like I kind of undermined my own argument, saying "oh, but both are good!", so I don't know if this made it any easier for you to decide hah. Also, if you couldn't tell by my examples, PS4 ftw. :grin:

3. Tyrael

Thanks for the post Coinshot :slight_smile: as you can tell by my referring to myself as an impatient idiot, I'm fully aware that I SHOULD wait, I just need someone to talk some sense into me lol.

You're absolutely right, honestly I just want Watch Dogs which isn't until "Spring 2014". Also I would love to play Titanfall, which brings me back to my problem of which console lol. I am considering waiting till maybe mid January before buying one, like you said it will give them time to sort out the initial issues.

Behind all of this though, part of me says, I'm 25 years old what the hell am I doing with my time? lol. Ah well...

4. Neurohypophysis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I took the plunge and bought an Xbox One >_<

I kept saying that I was going to wait but I had an opportunity and jumped on it.
    So far I really like it. The "entertainment" feature is by far the best right now... It is pretty cool being able to navigate your cable, turn up/down the volume, and turn on/off the TV with voice commands.

The biggest drawback is the lack of games available right now and the fact that it's not backwards compatible.

The Xbox One sold me more than the PS4 mostly because it is Microsoft and therefore has some Windows compatibility features that Sony just can't do. The Xbox 360 started to do this, but I really feel like they are going to bring it home with Windows 8 and Xbox One.

5. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ah, don't worry, I consider myself an impatient idiot as well. Luckily, lack of funds at the moment prevent me from buying much lol. And the savings I'm putting together are going towards a Cintiq in like 6 months, so I won't have a PS4 for a long time :lol:

I say if you just want Watch Dogs for the most part, you should wait. I mean, you do have a PS3 now and there are LOADS of awesome games you can get now for around $20 used instead of their full release date price. Heck, buy like 3 solid 40-80 hour games and that should pretty much hold you over until mid February in my opinion. You can even get most of the new multi-platform games that just came out if you really want to.

I ask myself what I'm doing with my time every day.

Also, I think the days of backwards compatibility may be over. Well, for the most part. They'll still resell us previous generation games through XGS and PSN.

6. Tyrael

A Cintiq? That's not cheap! I hope you're going to get some worthwhile use from it. Yeah I have already started the Uncharted trilogy which I've heard is good, so that'll last me a while. And then there's The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls among others. So yeah I think I'll be ok :slight_smile:

I've already played all the multi-platform ones lol. I work full time but I make time. Yeah backwards compatibility is over but really I don't miss it. I have games on my PC that I used to play on the Amiga and Sega Mega Drive etc, so there's always that option.

7. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wince just by thinking about the amount of money it costs, but I'm definitely not going to ask for it as a birthday present from my parents. Waaaay too absurd a price for that. I draw a lot in photoshop though, and it'll save me tons of time. Even though I've been using a regular tablet for years, it still amounts to stroke/undo/stroke/undo/stroke since I'm a stickler with my line art. Plus it helps that I won't have to buy another tablet for a while after that.

Then you should be fine. I still have to find time to play a lot of the games I got from the Steam summer sale. I feel like I shouldn't have bought them because of lack of time, but a total of 7 games for under $20? That's too cheap to resist!

And yes, thank goodness for emulators!

8. Tyrael

Yeah, I would consider it thoroughly though! It's a massive amount of money, really. If you can make do with a tablet and it isn't for work or something to do with income then consider leaving it? Just a thought from someone who generally isn't good with cash heh.

Actually I don't use an emulator, I found a website which lets you download thousands of these old games and they just, work. For about $4 for a month you get unlimited downloads lol then it just runs out. True, the Steam sale is hard to resist!

9. Drago2012

I would wait if you want to get an XBox1, watch THIS video and THIS link for more info on price drops.
    They were saying that Microsoft will probably drop the price in 6 to 9 months whereas Sony will probably be in a year or two.
    And one last thing, Sony said that they will not drop PS3 support for another 3 years, so you can stick with till for a bit longer till the dust settles.

#9 Drago2012, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd also be buying a used one, so it would be a bit more expensive than a new console. I had used a friends for a week and decided that the time it saves is worth the cost. Consistently saved me about half the time; for example, a picture that usually would have taken me 2 hours took me a little under an hour to complete. Also I want to work in the commercial art industry after I graduate, so anything that allows me to get more done is worth it in my book. I will have a job starting in January while I go to school, so this is more of a long-term purchase for me, as I'm planning to save up part of my pay bit by bit until around the end of August next year for it. That's why I won't be getting a new system until at least mid 2015.

Oh, cool! I didn't know there were sites like that with just a subscription fee. Must be especially awesome if one plays a lot of games.

11. Gallatin

Personally, I'm waiting. First, I'm not particularly sold on either one. I'm leaning towards the PS4 (mainly because you get Netflix without having to buy an upgraded online membership) but that could change. Second, I'd really be mad at myself if I bought one now only to see it be hundreds less a little bit down the line.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm also waiting. Nothing stands out for me on the PS4 at the moment and the only thing I'm chomping at the bit to play right now on XB1 is Killer Instinct.

Going to weigh up the exclusives (why do we still have 3rd party exclusives in this day and age?) and how multi platform stuff performs and then make a decision.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Buy never and substitute Wii U :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. KayakerHM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got the Xbox One on day one and to be honest I'm not impressed so far. As Coinshot said, there are always going to be glitches and problems when a new console is released but I feel they have left out SO MUCH that made the Xbox 360 great. Just a few points that have left me disappointed:

- Party chat is messed up. When it puts you into a party you have to turn party chat on, but it doesn't let me :frowning2: It keeps saying party chat isn't currently available, try again later. It's been saying that since I got the console on Friday.
    -There doesn't appear to be voice messaging yet. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I haven't seen any way to send voice messages. I thought this was a fairly basic thing, I mean they have voice commands but no voice messaging?
    - It's so slowwwwww. I'll turn my console on and about 10 minutes later (slight exaggeration but it feels like a very long time) the dashboard will eventually come up.
    - You have to install every game you own. Maybe this isn't such a bad thing, but it won't let me install games when my xbox is on. For some reason it just stays at 0% until I switch the console off.
    - The whole friend/follower system is very confusing. I added someone as a friend but apparently I wasn't following them, and yet they did the same to me and they show up on mine as both a friend and a follower.
    - There is no way to tell what your controller battery life is like.
    - If you want to look at your messages/achievements/party while playing a game, I wish you luck. They talk about this "seamless transition" between them all but in my opinion it's anything but seamless.
    - I miss avatars :frowning2:
    - No way to see friends' parties.
    -The Xbox website needs to catch up with Xbox One. Since getting my One I have added new people to my friends list but they aren't showing up on my FL on the website.

I could go on and on. There are too many negatives to list, but there are some positive points too:

- Games are available to download from the dashboard as soon as they are released. That wasn't possible on the xbox 360. Not only that, but they seem to be cheaper on the dashboard than they are in game stores?!
    - Voice commands are great, and so is the face recognition.
    - I don't actually get normal TV on my TV (if that makes sense... as in I can't watch television, I only use it for gaming/Netflix) but apparently it's good for switching seamlessly from TV to your game.
    - A lot of the Xbox One games out now or coming out in the near future are very exciting to me. But I don't know if the same will apply to you because our tastes will probably differ.

I can't think of any other positives at the minute but I'm sure there are some. I know all those negatives are things that can be fixed with updates, but if I were you (knowing what I know now) I would wait. Sorry for the essay and I don't mean to be so one-sided but I'm trying to give you an honest opinion from someone who has been an xbox fan for a very long time.

15. CreativeBiscuit

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    wait, both consoles are having issues atm, not to say none of the games that were released at launch on both consoles are any good (except for deadrising 3 on xboxone) which I think it was a very dick move to make deadrising 3 exclusively for xboxone, If I would have to get one I would buy a PS4. Not to be a fanboy or anything but most of the xbox exclusives end up on PC (except for halo and gears of wars) so I don’t see much benefit into buying one even if halo and gears of wars are cool but thats just my opinion

16. sysreq

The only reason I would ever buy the One would be Forza 5 (mmaaaayybbbeee Black Flag). The only reason I'd ever buy a PS4 is because Steam. That is all.

Imho fpses belong on the pc. Its just so cumbersome on console. I'm a pc guy at the end of the day tho

ps I own a 360

17. Foxface

I always wait

price drop and time to fix 1st gen problems that always seem to pop up

Foxface

18. Oxelotl

Personally I'm waiting simply because I have a stack of games I still need to finish and getting a PS4 would add to that. I will probably get it march-ish or around april next year instead.

19. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm waiting for price drop on the PS4 before buying it. There's still plenty of games coming out for PS3 between now and then, so I figure, if I wait til price drop on the PS4, I'll have some money left in my pocket when I buy it, and when I have the money, any PS4 games I want out between now and then, I can buy them and have them ready to go well in advance of my getting the system.

Now, as to my preference of PS4 over Xbox One, I'm a Sony and Nintendo guy. Xbox has never interested me. Even though I have been waiting almost 20 years for a new Killer Instinct and Ryse looks good, but I can't justify buying Xbox One for two games. There needs to be more good exclusives for me to consider it. There weren't enough for me to consider Xbox 360, so I doubt very much I'll seen enough for me to want an Xbox One, but we'll see.

20. Thedistra

I will wait to get either(I wouldn't get both). Instead I will purchase a Xbox 360 or PS3 to play games with my dad and such. Otherwise I got a computer to play new and games old on. Well not so much new, i would need to upgrade for that probably.