1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a Good Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by twospiritlycan, Nov 26, 2013.

1. I'm thinking of replacing that Avast! software because of that new update. The antimalware keeps picking it up as a harmful trojan now. I already checked with the forums on Avast, and they're experiencing the same thing. It isn't harmful because it's a new avast update, but it certainly is getting annoying.

2. AAASAS

Going on Linux is a pretty good way to avoid viruses.

I've been on it for over a year now, download stuff regularily, not a single problem or even just computing error since I've had it.

I was sick of Windows blocking all corners of the internet, and it not doing anything about me getting viruses. Apple is just crap because you can't download as much on an apple.

Linux all the way, not better than Windows in what it offers, but better for it's functionality and lack of viruses. I don't even think people bother to make viruses for Linux... they're all for Windows and Apple.

3. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

Kaspersky maybe...??

4. sysreq

Whatever you do, do NOT use AVG.
    Worst. Antivirus. Ever.

5. kem

kem

When I had Norton Antivirus and F-secure, I always hated how they had a totalitarian approach to protecting my computer. They also slowed down my computer and they wanted to make quick virus scans every hour.
    I have avast! on my Windows partition and I like it, although I hate the pop-ups.
    I found this list which might help you find a good antivirus programme.
    13 Best Free Antivirus Programs for Windows (Updated July 2013)

You're right, you can't download much on an apple. Probably because they are fruit. *tsk*

I have a Mac and I find there's lots of shit to download. Not games unfortunately – for those I have to use my Windows partition. And I have to point out that firstly, a gargantuan amount of software is not necessarily an advantage, and secondly, having fewer apps isn't always a disadvantage. Oh, and Linux's gamut of software is even scanter than Mac's.

inb4 debate: I think the Apple vs. Microsoft vs. Linux debate is pointless. Different products for different people. Why not enjoy the variety of choices and having the right to choose what you like? Why do we have to

6. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kaspersky or BitDefender.

7. Eevar

Common sense. I've managed to go 6 years using a Windows machine with no anti-virus (though I do install 1 every 6 months to a year do a scan and uninstall it...most of the time the scan is clean and I do quite a bit of downloading). I used to use AVG or Avast! and since you want to switch from Avast! and AVG is terrible, I'd say give Malwarebytes Antimalware a go.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like malwarebytes.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see the problem with aVast! I think it's legitimate anti-virus software. What's the problem with the update?

Also, I happen to think using Linux can be quite nice for avoiding viruses.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kaspersky would be a good choice.

11. method

Microsoft Security Essentials is light and does the job. And it's free.

12. wow nothing on a windows machine and reloading all the time - must NEVER be in Facebook EVER :eek:

and for Win 8 security essentials was just not enough for me did not work

I use Avast Premier AND SuperAntispyware Professional and I have CCCleaner and I run all of them every day

and even though I stay off of all dangerous places and never click on most stuff - they still find things - I eve block incoming stuff pretty hard

13. YOLO4me

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been just scanning with ad aware for years. An IT guy suggested it long ago, and it seems to work perfect.

14. Skyline

I use the free versions of IObit Malware Fighter and Advanced System Care. They're easy to use and seem to help my computer out quite a bit.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Since I got my new laptop two years ago, I've used Norton 360. I used to hate Norton, and if you go look for reviews for old Norton products you can see why there is reason to hate. But Norton 360 got such stellar reviews by tech-savvy people who acknowledged the problems with old, slow, intrusive Norton products, I decided to give it a try, and I've stuck with it since.

On past computers I've used McAfee (was included with free subscription with the laptop I bought from my college), Trend Micro PC-Cillin, and ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus and Firewall. I'm not really interested in any in-depth technical analyses of how they work, but Norton 360 seems to do the job quite well, not intrusive, and scans very quickly compared to past anti-virus scanners. (Norton 360 includes a firewall and some other features along with antivirus, but they do sell just Norton Antivirus still)

ZoneAlarm is great because it's free, including both firewall and antivirus.

Beware of AVG Antivirus, it's supposedly a pretty good virus scanner and it's free, but when I downloaded it on another computer it came with tons of intrusive malware garbage, it changed all my home pages to AVG, installed a toolbar that took a lot of work to get rid off, and I couldn't wait to get it uninstalled. Not worth it when you're trying to protect your computer and the program you download to do it with comes with all of the same kind of crap you're trying to protect it from.

While Norton is supposed to handle spyware too, I also have a bunch of free anti-spyware programs I use to supplement my security. SpyBot Search & Destroy is a good one, and it includes a regularly updated "immunize" feature to help protect your computer from getting the latest kinds of spyware and other garbage, like a vaccine. Another good free program if you like the "immunize" idea is SpywareBlaster, which despite the name doesn't scan and destroy spyware, it again just helps to inoculate your computer from getting the latest strains of spyware in the first place. Besides those I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition. I'll run a Norton scan and then run scans from all of these other programs, and each time there will usually be some sort of malware that only one scanner picks up after the other scanners missed it.

So I like to have plenty of options for dealing with the constant problem of spyware and viruses (especially when you find yourself on some sketchy sorts of websites I should avoid but somehow can't stay away from- if you have a sex drive and masturbate, you know what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Or maybe I'm just paranoid. :eusa_shif

16. Scarlet Me

Panda works great, barely uses any resources but does detect the virusses. Also free and no annoying notifications unless there's a virus. As for the full scan I use Malwarebytes.

On a sidenote: Be sure to only have one active virus scanner running at the same time! Having another really slows down your PC, as usually they start looking into eachother.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use a combination of SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, CCleaner, and Spybot - Search and Destroy, and haven't had many problems since, especially combined with common sense and regular updates, check ups, etc.

18. iHateThinking

I use a combination of MalwareBytes + Microsoft Security Essentials. Honestly, it gets the job done, and MalwareBytes is one of the only free programs that I've used that's efficient, effective, and actually GETS RID OF THE VIRUSES. It's wonderful.

I also have AdFender to block those obnoxious pop ups on Google Chrome; I haven't gotten to try it with Firefox, but on Chrome I haven't gotten a single pop up or intrusive ad since I downloaded it (at least from what I can tell).

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use the free version of BitDefender Antivirus.
    Works pretty well so far.

20. Eevar

I just use Adblock Plus for both Firefox and Chrome. I've never had a pop-up or intrusive ad, it even stops those flash ads without stopping flash videos and games. I have had issues where it has stopped a pop-up window I wanted from opening though, but its simple to disable and re-enable and doesnt require a browser restart to do so.